Boot from an external RAID array
We would like to use LILO to start up a Linux server, but we didn't find out how to do this. Here are some elements to understand how we are disappointed!
- The system boot perfectly (default install settings) from the internal SCSI hard drive (sdc)
- When Linux is installed on the RAID array, an "Operating System not found" error message is displayed.
- The only solution is to boot from a floppy, which contains the kernel and the initrd.
- Linux rescue perfectly detects the different partitions on the external RAID (sda).
- LILO do not display any warning during MBR writing.
- We tried the "disk", "bios", "linear", "lba32" options without succes.
Here is our /etc/lilo.conf:
Here is an extract of dmesg:
Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
SCSI device sda: 71811072 512-byte hdwr sectors (36767 MB)
sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4
Here is the layout of the different partitions:
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda3 13013756 2067116 10285568 17% /
/dev/sda1 147766 16155 123982 12% /boot
We are using LILO version 22.5.8.
Anybody got an idea?
Thanks a lot,