Currently not usable
i tried the alpha version 0.6 of jaba, here's my
summary on the current status of this project:
- i got trouble when using the suggested database HSQLDB (upon execution of the first prepared statement (checks if user is in user db), the code
hangs, the call never returns. this is probably a problem of the jdbc driver of HSQLDB). the same query on the db is working...
- documentation on installation and preparation is missing (e.g. i had to manually add some tables in the db, before using the jaba server... this is not documented)
- using mySQL as db, the stuff works
- currently missing features on the jaba server:
- JUD (User Search missing)
- Dynamically adding new users is not possible
-> you have to add users "manually in the db"
- No encryption
- No TC (Text Conference)
for me, the most missing feature is dynamically adding new users.
if you want to run your own jabber server, i suggest to go for jabber.org and use the jabberD (C-implementation) server (at least for now...)
keep in mind that this project is still alpha. maybe the java server will soon get more powerful...