Swhoisd is a simple whois daemon that provides a whois directory service. It is much simpler to set up and administer than the other whois daemons available, such as RIPE whois or the original SRC whois. This is because it uses a flat-text file instead of a complex database. This whois server is recommended only for small databases (under 1000 records or so). This daemon conforms to RFC 834 and uses TCP port 43 (service "whois"). It has an ident client, Apache-like CLF logging, internationalization, and it runs in standalone or inet daemon mode.
Brief howto on mod_layout
0. Download. The version for Apache 1.x differs from 2.x.
1. Read the README and INSTALL files.
2. If you don't have apache in /usr/local/apache2, modify file Makefile.
3. Make sure apxs is in your path (use which apxs)
4. Type: make
5. As root, type make install
6. Restart Apache: /etc/init.d/httpd restart
7. Sample configuration lines:
AddOutputFilter LAYOUT html
AddOutputFilter LAYOUT shtml
AddOutputFilter LAYOUT htm
AddOutputFilter LAYOUT php
RedHat 7.1 package
I built RedHat RPM packages for whois.
Source and i386 binary packages are at:
Also there is Swhoisd, Simple Whois Daemon.