Projects / GNU Zile / Comments

Comments for GNU Zile

30 Apr 2011 20:10 rrt

For anyone who thinks the 2.3.24 release notes bear a suspicious resemblance to the 2.3.23 notes, I'm sorry, I used the wrong ones. The real notes are even less exciting: "a few tiny bug fixes, some code cleanup".

25 Mar 2011 22:14 tinybashcgis

Shouldn't that now be "Zile is Lua Emacs"?

13 Mar 2011 04:51 hictio

Thanks a lot for Zile!
It is simply the best small Emacs clone I've used.
Thank you very much.

28 Oct 2007 19:31 fawcett

Zile rocks!
I've been using zile for several years now. It's one of the first utilities I install on a new system. Thanks, Reuben!

07 Sep 2006 01:01 sys2066

Re: Why not use Emacs?

> If you want an editor that is as similar

> to Emacs as possible, why not just use

> Emacs?

Zile is one of the first packages I install on new systems. I'm a heavy emacs user, but Zile is really just a complement to Emacs. For example, when I want to do a quick edit of a configuration file, I start Zile from the command line and is done with it in no-time. It's basically a replacement for vi for me.

So to the author: Thanks a lot for zile!

// Simon

22 Jul 2006 13:44 yeliab

Re: Where's the 2.2.16 tarball?

> Sorry about that, the release never got

> made, because my SF password expired,

> but I didn't notice the error message.

> You should now find it there.

Yay -- thanks!

22 Jul 2006 11:25 rrt

Re: Where's the 2.2.16 tarball?
Sorry about that, the release never got made, because my SF password expired, but I didn't notice the error message. You should now find it there.

22 Jul 2006 10:29 yeliab

Where's the 2.2.16 tarball?
I followed the link to download 2.2.16, and it's not there; I also searched through the Zile sourceforge site and found no indication of 2.2.16 (or anything explaining what happened to it). Was a decision made to pull the release?

I'm looking forward to my next Zile fix! :-)

23 Jan 2005 05:14 rrt

Re: nice idea, would like to see more documentation
Can you tell me where -h is documented? I can't find it in 2.0beta8 (perhaps you're using something rather older?). I have tried to tidy up the docs for the 2.0 release, and I'd like to remove inaccuracies like this.

I'll try to improve the "Differences from Emacs" section as you suggest. Basically, Zile is supposed to be a strict subset of Emacs, so anything not mentioned in the docs is not there.

Finally, it's better to write to zile-devel@users.sf.net, as your comments will be acted on more speedily there. Filing bugs and feature requests directly in the relevant trackers at http://sf.net/projects/zile/ will also be greatly appreciated.

22 Jan 2005 17:25 bcrowell

Re: nice idea, would like to see more documentation
Ah, my bad, the way to turn off the mini help is documented (need to have
novice-level = false in your .zilerc). I guess the -h option is a holdover from a time when novice-level wasn't the default...?