Comments for Your Operating System

Re: Yoper is apparently gonna cause World War III

> Geez...

> I came here to have a look at Yoper,

> after reading about it in Linux Magazine

> (which included 2.1 for free, and thanks

> for that).

> I was hoping to find out a little more

> about the distro before I installed it,

> and I came accross the most heated

> debate (or flame fest) that i have seen

> in months. After reading several back

> and forth posts, I thought I would weigh

> in with some common sense.

> If someone goes to the trouble of

> creating a customized linux distro, and

> spends a great deal of time and effort

> in doing this, then why is it so

> inconceivable to think they might be

> paid for it?

> I have not yet installed Yoper, so I

> cannot comment on it's performance or

> usability, but it seems to me that this

> argument has nothing to do with that. It

> seems like an attack on the author

> because he has the audacity to charge a

> fee for it. That seems pretty stupid to

> me.

> If you dont want to pay for the distro,

> then dont. There are plenty of other

> distro's out there which are sold at a

> much higher cost, as well as hundreds

> which are free of charge. Why not just

> slam them all? Everyone who expects some

> compensation for their effort is a

> bloody capitalist pig, and anyone who

> gives their distro away for free is an

> anti-capitalist moron.

> Come on guys.. if you want to try it,

> then try it.. If you like it enough to

> pay for it, then send the guys who spent

> countless hours packaging it a few

> bucks.. I am quite sure they earned it,

> and if you dont like it.. or dont want

> to pay for it, then go download gentoo

> or fedora instead.

> This idea that everyone should do

> everything for free is novel in concept,

> but it takes money to live in modern

> society. I would love nothing more than

> to give 100% of myself to helping those

> less fortunate, but if I dont make some

> money along the way, I will quickly

> become one of those less fortunate

> people I am trying to help.

> In closing, can't we all just get along?

> I know we all hate Microsoft, but is it

> because they flood the market with

> garbage and wont release the code so we

> can fix all of their mistakes? Or is it

> because they are a business which

> charges a fee for their operating

> system? I wager if we think about this,

> the latter is not the root of the

> problem.

> Now I am going to install Yoper myself

> and give it a spin.. and if I like it,

> and decide to use it, then I will gladly

> pay the author for his work. If I dont

> decide to use it myself, I wont presume

> that everyone else shares my opinion,

> and I will suggest that everyone else

> try it as well.

> To the author - Thanks for working to

> build a better linux, rather than using

> your skills to build more worthless (and

> overpriced) crap for Windows.

> We may not all choose the same distro,

> but we should all stand together as

> members of the linux community. If you

> really have to bash someone every day,

> then point your anger at Microsoft, and

> stop attacking your own family.

> Thats just the way I see it anyway..

> Mixelplix

Just installed yoper and am really impressed. 15 minutes

total install time, and it runs really fast. I have to say I

like it better than gentoo, suse, and debian - great

autodetection and very little configuration/maintenance. I

just hope that the distro is still active (and there's still a

free version available) over the next couple of years.

20 Nov 2004 15:22 wp4mvc

Excellent Distro straight of the Box (I mean ISO)!
Have been running YOPER for three days now and have

not had an incident with my old Laptop. Is an old IBM

600E and it is running like a champ. It even detected my

old D-Link PCMCIA DWL-650. I had to fumble with other

distros to get it right and be able to connect. Thanks for

this O/S. It is great!!!!!!

....73

de WP4MVC

19 Nov 2004 00:58 jakra

Yoper
I've been using Yoper now for a few months, on an old P3 laptop (650) and have been very impressed with the performance on this slow machine.

I've been so impressed that I've just donated money to the yoper project (even though I too am against paying for an OS, donation is good ^^ ).

I just want to ask, is Yoper still alive? The Yoper website has been talking about new servers being installed, but its been a week since they were supposed to be back up. Are you still there Yoper? Please don't leave me....

06 Nov 2004 18:23 mixelplix

Yoper is apparently gonna cause World War III
Geez...

I came here to have a look at Yoper, after reading about it in Linux Magazine (which included 2.1 for free, and thanks for that).

I was hoping to find out a little more about the distro before I installed it, and I came accross the most heated debate (or flame fest) that i have seen in months. After reading several back and forth posts, I thought I would weigh in with some common sense.

If someone goes to the trouble of creating a customized linux distro, and spends a great deal of time and effort in doing this, then why is it so inconceivable to think they might be paid for it?

I have not yet installed Yoper, so I cannot comment on it's performance or usability, but it seems to me that this argument has nothing to do with that. It seems like an attack on the author because he has the audacity to charge a fee for it. That seems pretty stupid to me.

If you dont want to pay for the distro, then dont. There are plenty of other distro's out there which are sold at a much higher cost, as well as hundreds which are free of charge. Why not just slam them all? Everyone who expects some compensation for their effort is a bloody capitalist pig, and anyone who gives their distro away for free is an anti-capitalist moron.

Come on guys.. if you want to try it, then try it.. If you like it enough to pay for it, then send the guys who spent countless hours packaging it a few bucks.. I am quite sure they earned it, and if you dont like it.. or dont want to pay for it, then go download gentoo or fedora instead.

This idea that everyone should do everything for free is novel in concept, but it takes money to live in modern society. I would love nothing more than to give 100% of myself to helping those less fortunate, but if I dont make some money along the way, I will quickly become one of those less fortunate people I am trying to help.

In closing, can't we all just get along? I know we all hate Microsoft, but is it because they flood the market with garbage and wont release the code so we can fix all of their mistakes? Or is it because they are a business which charges a fee for their operating system? I wager if we think about this, the latter is not the root of the problem.

Now I am going to install Yoper myself and give it a spin.. and if I like it, and decide to use it, then I will gladly pay the author for his work. If I dont decide to use it myself, I wont presume that everyone else shares my opinion, and I will suggest that everyone else try it as well.

To the author - Thanks for working to build a better linux, rather than using your skills to build more worthless (and overpriced) crap for Windows.

We may not all choose the same distro, but we should all stand together as members of the linux community. If you really have to bash someone every day, then point your anger at Microsoft, and stop attacking your own family.

Thats just the way I see it anyway..

Mixelplix

17 Sep 2004 11:01 kelvinmc

Wow!
I'm impressed. I've been looking for this kind of dist for a long time. Small, lightweight, and extremely fast. While rough around the edges, this dist has a massive amount of potential.

19 Aug 2003 22:30 yoper

Re: Yoper is free!!!
Vanity

Thanks for wishing me good luck and good luck to you too. If I would not have done Yoper, I certainly would use Gentoo myself, since it is a fantastic distro. I have integrated portage into Yoper, Yoper is also an excellent choice for those who want to try Gentoo without days of compiling a desktop.

Why do you call yourself brainless? I certainly did not and don't think you are.

I am the first that wants the comments to be part of the past as much as the highly aggressive comments that preceeded my comment are part of the past, even though I have a copy of the mysql database of that day and due to our conversation I did read the posts that preceeded mine again. My comment was clearly an overreaction on abusive flames of people. I merely threw a little stone against people throwing loads of large rocks.

In light of your generous offer of dropping any further mentioning of my comment I wish you happy Linuxing and may God bless you and your family.

Thanks

Yoper Admin

16 Aug 2003 02:34 lintawei

Re: Yoper is free!!!
Reading your replies' like readling advertisement. This discussion was dead months ago already. I don't know why did I bring it up, maybe I'm just one of those brainless nerds with too much time on my hands. But don't worry noone's really care about you now. However...

I will say good luck to you, and thank you for providing us alternatives on choices of Linux distro.

Lastly, I would like to recommand Gentoo (http://www.gentoo.org/) to everyone.

13 Aug 2003 04:15 yoper

Re: Yoper is free!!!
Vanity,

Personally I don't think this conversation is fruitless since it
shows just how much everyone of us needs to step back and
think of how and what we want people to think about us. I
certainly wish I would not have reacted as I did after weeks of
nearly no sleep, but it happened and I cannot do much about
it now.

Thanks for bringing this post of mine to our attention and
thanks for allowing me to explain and make sure that readers
understand that the post was written after dozens of flames
from people who did not care of how much time and effort I
put into Yoper.

Why would I delete this conversation? It is clear evidence of
rationality and will bring the reader to understand how special
Your Operating System is and how much heart and passion
has gone into it.

Thanks to all readers and thanks to 100000+ people who
decided to download Yoper and give the One Man distro a go
since that day on which www.yoper.com got slashdotted.
Thanks for making us #1 on www.distrowatch.com at least
for 3 months and a very special thanks to all those who use
Yoper right
now and know of its clear advantages. Yoper might not be
working for you yet, but God willing I will make sure it will
continue to grow and one day it might be right for you.

Yoper is Your Operating System, since everyone of you has
contributed in one way or form to create Open Source magic
and create freedom of choice within the Operating System
market.

Yoper V1.1 is downloadable right now totally free, even
though you can buy CD's from me or from any one of the
hundreds of CD resellers online who sell Yoper right now.

Thanks for your support and for understanding.

All the best from New Zealand.

Your Yoper admin

12 Aug 2003 16:27 lintawei

Re: Yoper is free!!!
You started to insult the Slashdot readers first. You have no idea that 90% of the Slashdot readers they support Open Source Software like Linux? THINK! Have you ever seen them "attacked" ANY of the Linux distro creators? NO! Anyways, I'll stop this useless conversation, spend time on you is a waste. You may delete this post like you always do. Bye.

10 Aug 2003 14:25 yoper

Re: Yoper is free!!!
I am saying people should make their own mind up, instead of
taking posts at face value.

The comments followed dozens of very very bad flames on
the forum, which attacked me personally. After having worked
for 4 weeks in a row to release Yoper with less than 2-3
hours sleep per night if any I certainly did not think straight.
And
who wants to read F and S words on their own website? I
certainly don't.

The comment was a knee jerk reaction to blatantly out of line
flames from people who did not even try Yoper or read the
website. I agree that the comment was also out of line.
Taking it out of context is not fair, since it was only targeting
the people who flamed me and not anyone else.

Thanks for reminding me of that post. Maybe I should dig
out all the flames from that day I received prior to making
that post and post them here. But what is the point of that?

I made 1 comment compared to dozens of comments. What
is the crime in defending the work I did for over a year with
passion and without any reward apart from knowing that I
run my own distro? And who is the judge anyway. Only
human I am after all.