Comments for Yahoo! Messenger

20 Feb 2007 18:38 bobshaffer

Not updated since 2003


This project hasn't been updated since 2003, it's built against old libraries, and even in 2003 it only had the bare minimum of features. It seems fairly clear that development for this project has ceased, and if you want to use Yahoo for IM your best bet is to go with Kopete or GAIM. Kopete is supposed to have audio/video chatting, but I can't seem to get it working, and GAIM works nicely and supports no audio or video chatting. Either of them work far better than the ancient linux version of Yahoo Messenger for connecting to Yahoo. It's too bad that the people at Yahoo have given up on us, but it seems like we must just accept it and move on.

06 Nov 2005 11:50 murpz

Re: Webcam and voice support on unix please!


> to heck with webcam and voice.

I'd really like the webcam feature, personally.

> I'm sitting here on Slackware and other

> than making a giant mess by trying to

> force an RPM to install there are no

> options.

Well if you can't use a modern Linux setup, which almost all support RPMs either directly or through something like alien, then... just unpack the RPM. All an RPM is is a cpio archive with some embedded scripts. You can unpack it and manually install it the same as any zip or tar file.

19 Aug 2005 20:23 xor007

Re: Webcam and voice support on unix please!
Why can't Yahoo just use iLBC for voice like Skype?

> I am using linux as my operating system

> of choice. and therefor feel left out as

> the lack of features compared to the

> windows version. I would love to see

> webcam support at least.

> For tips have a look at

> ayttm.sourceforge.net, which has a

> webcam support for linux.

> It would be nice to have it in the

> official client, please!!!

>

12 Aug 2005 13:57 davija

Re: Webcam and voice support on unix please!


> to heck with webcam and voice.

>

> how about dropping the Rpm's and using

> something like the loki installer or the

> installer from mozilla or open office so

> that it will work on ANY linux.

>

> I'm sitting here on Slackware and other

> than making a giant mess by trying to

> force an RPM to install there are no

> options.

>

> Come on Yahoo developers. either also

> release a tar.gz for me to manually

> install on the other 99 linux distros

> like you guys USED to do or adopt one of

> the nice installers and make everyone's

> life easier..

>

> Oh, compile it statically like mozilla

> and Open Office and you will not have to

> worry about deps.

>

>

I'm running slackware 10.1.

to install just type rpm -ivh --nodeps rh9.ymessenger-1.0.4-1.i386.rpm

worked for me.. key was --nodeps.

I do agree, redhat & debian are not the only linux distros, and a standard installer (even just a shell script) should have been considered.

04 Aug 2005 20:40 Syiru

Re: Webcam support?!?


>

> % Its always the case with unixes. We

> are

> % the LAST to be supported by comercial

> % software. Even Mac has webcam support

> % now. I can understand there being a

> % problem implementing webcam support

> for

> % someone on a linux system who wants

> to

> % broadcast their webcam. This is a

> % resonable delay due to the completely

> % different way that webcams are dealt

> % with in linux. However, it is not

> % understandable why you haven't built

> the

> % ability for linux clients to view

> others

> % webcams. This is something that

> should

> % already be implemented. You all need

> to

> % get on the ball. We, the linux

> % community, want webcam support. WE

> are

> % TIRED of always being the last ones

> to

> % recieve support and features!

> %

>

>

> i agree 100%. i want to use my webcam

> in yahoo messenger. i'm sick of having

> to switch between linux & windows to use

> the camera. it makes no sense why we

> should be the last with support for

> EVERYTHING!!!

yeah, i totally agree....REFORMATION....

15 May 2005 00:43 drewbian

Re: Webcam and voice support on unix please!


> to heck with webcam and voice.

>

> how about dropping the Rpm's and using

> something like the loki installer or the

> installer from mozilla or open office so

> that it will work on ANY linux.

>

> I'm sitting here on Slackware and other

> than making a giant mess by trying to

> force an RPM to install there are no

> options.

>

> Come on Yahoo developers. either also

> release a tar.gz for me to manually

> install on the other 99 linux distros

> like you guys USED to do or adopt one of

> the nice installers and make everyone's

> life easier..

>

> Oh, compile it statically like mozilla

> and Open Office and you will not have to

> worry about deps.

>

>

alien --to-tgz rpmfile.rpm perhaps (though this of course will not handle deps).

21 Nov 2004 22:51 ysudheerraghav

Re: Red Hat 8.0 Font Issue
I too have same problem .if u found any remedy for this plz mail me to : ysudheerraghav@yahoo.co.in.

Thanks.......

> I'm having a problem with using

> ymessenger on Red Hat 8.0. I install the

> rpm and all goes well. I run it the

> first time and I can see the messages I

> type to others and messages other type

> to me. After I close the application for

> the first time, it writes

> ~/.ymessenger/<prefs and other

> stuff> files. When I run ymessenger

> again, I can no longer see messages I

> type to others nor can I see the

> messages they type to me. Is this a

> known issue?

21 Nov 2004 22:47 ysudheerraghav

Re: Red Hat 8.0 Font Issue
I too have same problem .if u found any remedy for this plz mail me to : ysudheerraghav@yahoo.co.in.

Thanks.......

> I'm having a problem with using

> ymessenger on Red Hat 8.0. I install the

> rpm and all goes well. I run it the

> first time and I can see the messages I

> type to others and messages other type

> to me. After I close the application for

> the first time, it writes

> ~/.ymessenger/<prefs and other

> stuff> files. When I run ymessenger

> again, I can no longer see messages I

> type to others nor can I see the

> messages they type to me. Is this a

> known issue?

17 Nov 2004 13:05 lumpyii

Re: Webcam and voice support on unix please!
to heck with webcam and voice.

how about dropping the Rpm's and using something like the loki installer or the installer from mozilla or open office so that it will work on ANY linux.

I'm sitting here on Slackware and other than making a giant mess by trying to force an RPM to install there are no options.

Come on Yahoo developers. either also release a tar.gz for me to manually install on the other 99 linux distros like you guys USED to do or adopt one of the nice installers and make everyone's life easier..

Oh, compile it statically like mozilla and Open Office and you will not have to worry about deps.

29 Jun 2004 17:04 OldToker

Re: Webcam support?!?

>
> %
> % %Maybe we
> % % should start some sort of petition
> to
> % % yahoo and get the ball rolling?
> % %

I was thinking along the same lines.. but instead lets get organized and make a "BIG PUSH" even if our efforts are a little less than correct.. I offer as a sugestion to people that are sick and tired of being treated like garbage from comercial software companies. that we BAND together and make an assault on the companies VIA E-Mail we write them DAY IN AND DAY out DEMANDING Equality in the *NIX Versions of their software. Eventually They would get tired or having their mail boxes flooded and give in ....

Screenshot

Project Spotlight

ReciJournal

An open, cross-platform journaling program.

Screenshot

Project Spotlight

Veusz

A scientific plotting package.