Projects / whitenoise / Comments

Comments for whitenoise

05 Jan 2007 16:59 fallen_tortoise

Highpass filter?

I was hoping for something more like the sound of sand being spun around in a turning tin can. I find the low pass a little disturbing and bombastic. Is there a possible high-pass or middle-pass filter in the works?

04 Mar 2006 09:07 OvertOperative

wow
This completely drowned out my noisy suitemates, thanks so much. Also, thanks to senda for the good preset.

04 Sep 2005 03:50 kodgehopper

Re: Private Jet
I'd have to agree, an excellent setting. Thanks very much for the posting.

18 May 2005 20:05 menteco

Private Jet
My favorite setting so far is "whitenoise -F 4 -c 0.1 -r 11025"; this feels like you are in the cozy seat of your private jet, well high above the messy world :)

03 May 2004 19:01 pelzlpj

Re: Thank you

> I listen to this whitenoise every night

> to help myself sleep. Thanks for the

> extra energy I've had over the past

> month. One thing that would be nice

> though is a native Windows port because

> I always have to reboot into Linux each

> night.

Thanks for the comment.

I probably won't take responsibility for a native Windows port myself, but if another developer wants to take on the task then I would be happy to help out as I can.

In the past, users have reported that whitenoise works fine under Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com); you might want to give that a try.

03 May 2004 18:40 TheChuckster

I listen to this whitenoise every night to help myself sleep. Thanks for the extra energy I've had over the past month. One thing that would be nice though is a native Windows port because I always have to reboot into Linux each night.

20 Mar 2004 05:32 farslhup

A million kudos to Paul
I've suffured from insomnia for about 10 years now; my nights were spent frustratingly tossing and turning, rarely getting more than 4 hours of sleep.

Since last month, I press this little button on my remote control (thanks to lirc) and that ends up executing:

whitenoise -c 0.05 -r 11025 -l 100 -F 2

Full bass, no treble.

Five minutes later, miracle of miracles, I sleep for 6 or 7 hours straight. It's better than a plethora of medication I've tried and without side effets.

I wish I had known about this earlier.

Thanks Paul.

08 Feb 2004 04:21 mgalyean

Good stuff
Whitenoise has to have the best functionality:simplicity ratio I've seen in a program in decades. I use my laptop for an alarm clock using a perl script, now I've added an option to the script to play whitenoise up until the point it starts playing random wave files at wake up time. I slept like a hibernating bear on valium!

09 Jan 2004 10:56 pelzlpj

Re: 'whitenoise' saved my sanity

> Thanks for "whitenoise".

I'm glad you find it useful.

> Someone at my company (who doesn't have
> the right) unilaterally yesterday
> started piping a local radio station
> throughout the office using the
> building's paging system.

Ugh... you have my sympathies.

> Wave, wind and rain sounds might be nice
> too. :-)

If someone points me to good, low-complexity generator algorithms, I'd certainly consider such things.

09 Jan 2004 07:22 fhew

'whitenoise' saved my sanity
Thanks for "whitenoise".

Someone at my company (who doesn't have the right) unilaterally yesterday started piping a local radio station throughout the office using the building's paging system.

Its bad enough that you get distracted by the conversations of others, but to be forced to _also_ listen to other uneccessary noise, is 'un-constitutional'!

In the mean time, I thought I could do something like:
cat /dev/random | lame | xmms
but that needs more effort to work, so when I found your software... its perfect for the job.

If only I wasn't forced to wear the headphones!

Wave, wind and rain sounds might be nice too. :-)