Comments for VLC media player

19 May 2005 01:40 contusion

There is also Mplayer for linux
But VideoLan is a good cross-platform video player.

12 Feb 2005 13:42 cherub96

Unique Player
This player does what no other does (that I am aware of) - it plays incomplete divx files and it plays them while they are still in the process of being downloaded.

That is very useful.

One small thing: It would be nice if there would be a modus where the player can be switched to no-frame display in window mode, that is the only thing visible being the picture itself, no progress bar or header bar or whatever. Just the picture.

22 Jan 2005 08:46 a2fus

videolan player
Just downloaded it to be able to play MPeg 2 files looks great certainly use it in preference to wmp thanks very much.

14 Dec 2004 11:03 00PhiberOptik00

VideoLan
Just got copy of VLC Media Player and nice job. It plays some video that is unrenderable by the usual Windoze and other suspects. Am a huge fan of open source.

Nice work.

Wayne Renardson

Nashville TN

07 Nov 2004 04:01 baiti

V0.8.0 Crashes
So far I was using V0.7.2. I just upgraded to V0.8.0 by first uninstalling V0.7.2 (Windows XP SP2) and then installing V0.8.0. Some of the movies (SVCD) which would perfectly play with V0.7.2 do not play with V0.8.0. Once started, just nothing happens.

I stumbled over at least one movie which repeatedly crashed V0.8.0 but plays fine with V0.7.2.

I am now back at V0.7.2 and the problems are gone.

Don't get it wrong, the program is absolutely top. It is the best movie player I ever had on my machine. I am sure the bug in V0.8.0 will be found and eliminated quickly -- Keep up the good work.

06 Jan 2004 11:45 sammy

Re: Comments/Questions about 0.70

> vlc sure is a great package! I compiled 0.70 on my linux box and it went
> eventually ok, but maybe it would be a good idea to include a
> "pre-configure.sh" script that uses wget or something to get all the
> other packages vlc depends on (mad, dvdcss, ffmpeg etc), unpacks them and
> calls configure with --with-mad-tree=../madstuff etc.

This is usually the job of the distributions (why aren't you using Debian sid anyway? :p). But such a script is being developed, please see extras/contrib/README in the vlc source tree.

> Question: I don't have a compiler in my Windows box, but I'd love to try vlc's
> windows port to play DVD's with it. Does the windows binary (zip) come with
> dvdcss?

Yes it does.

06 Jan 2004 03:42 manzikki

Comments/Questions about 0.70
vlc sure is a great package! I compiled 0.70 on my linux box and it went eventually ok, but maybe it would be a good idea to include a "pre-configure.sh" script that uses wget or something to get all the other packages vlc depends on (mad, dvdcss, ffmpeg etc), unpacks them and
calls configure with --with-mad-tree=../madstuff etc.

Question: I don't have a compiler in my Windows box, but I'd love to try vlc's windows port to play DVD's with it. Does the windows binary (zip) come with dvdcss? If not, can it add it separately?

24 Apr 2002 23:40 Apopatos

Finally we can see really dvd in linux!
I f you have Videolan to watch DVDs with its perfect GUI and ogle for menus, then you don't need anything else!

06 Apr 2002 09:28 roryh

A great app
vlc has been the best dvd player I've found so far (though I realise it owes a debt of thanks to other projects, such as Ogle). DVD playing is easy, and high quality, just what I've been after.

03 May 2001 11:05 lepus

Re: Posted URL up yet?

> Check out this /. discussion dealing
> with 3 of the most famous DVD players
> (LiViD, OMS, Videolan).
> Actually, I tried the previous version
> (0.6.1) of videolan yesterday, and it
> ran really smoothly ! A few bugs, yet.
> But I couldn't achieve the same frame
> rate with the other 2 DVD Players.
> I didn't try Xmovie.

Erm... I thought OMS == LiVid, since OMS is on www.linuxvideo.org... ^_^

Well, anyway this seems pretty nice, I'll have a try with it. By the way, the new MPlayer now can play DVDs, and plays them million times better and more reliably than that bugware OMS. The only problem is that you have to start it with a VOB file explicitly, but I hope that will soon be remedied.