RSS Comments for Traditional ex/vi

07 Jan 2004 02:20 gritter

Re: libterm changes

> I'm looking at termcap 1.3.1, which
> states that it is not
> (and am recalling more than one bug
> report for FreeBSD,
> NetBSD that led me to investigate this).
> Ditto 2.0.8.

OIC, I was using Fedora sources and there's
a termcap-2.0.8-fix-tc.patch which adds this.
Sorry.

> no - I thought it was ironic. And it
> would annoy some of the
> frequent posters to FreeBSD mailing
> lists.

www.freebsd.org/cgi/cv...
still provides the 4.4BSD code supporting multiple tc='s,
but all of libterm(cap) is apparently in Attic. What a pity.

06 Jan 2004 14:55 tedickey

Re: libterm changes

>
> % None of the termcap
> % libraries that I am
> % aware of other than the termcap
> % emulation in ncurses
> % support multiple tc='s.
>
>
> The comment in ESR's termcap file claims
> that both
> 4.4BSD libterm and GNU libtermcap (later
> than 1.3)
> support them. A quick look at 4.4BSD and
> GNU v2.0.8
> sources verifies this claim.

I'm looking at termcap 1.3.1, which states that it is not
(and am recalling more than one bug report for FreeBSD,
NetBSD that led me to investigate this). Ditto 2.0.8.

The version number is misleading - "2.0.8" dates several
years before termcap 1.3.1.

> But what's your point at all? Do you
> actually think it's
> an error to support multiple tc='s in a
> termcap library?

no - I thought it was ironic. And it would annoy some of the
frequent posters to FreeBSD mailing lists.

> I don't see any serious compatibility
> issues here; it
> doesn't seem likely that some termcap
> entries contain
> multiple tc='s with the intention that
> only the last one
> gets evaluated.

06 Jan 2004 12:43 gritter

Re: libterm changes

> None of the termcap
> libraries that I am
> aware of other than the termcap
> emulation in ncurses
> support multiple tc='s.

The comment in ESR's termcap file claims that both
4.4BSD libterm and GNU libtermcap (later than 1.3)
support them. A quick look at 4.4BSD and GNU v2.0.8
sources verifies this claim.

But what's your point at all? Do you actually think it's
an error to support multiple tc='s in a termcap library?
I don't see any serious compatibility issues here; it
doesn't seem likely that some termcap entries contain
multiple tc='s with the intention that only the last one
gets evaluated.

06 Jan 2004 12:09 tedickey

Re: libterm changes

>
> % multiple tc='s are essentially a
> % terminfo feature (since
> % they're a byproduct of converting
> using
> % ncurses infocmp).
> % So it's not really termcap anymore.
>
>
> I don't know of any other reasonably
> complete termcap file
> besides ESR's one (to which your remark
> applies). So this
> seemed a must-have to me for keeping
> libterm usable. In
> principle, that is - in fact, nobody
> seemed to use one of the
> offending entries with vi for years
> since nobody complained.
> The actual reason was that I was
> notified about a termcap
> patch that added a tc= before the last
> capability, which is
> clearly broken, but not a problem
> anymore for vi now.
>

Not exactly. None of the termcap libraries that I am
aware of other than the termcap emulation in ncurses
support multiple tc='s. (ESR's version btw contains
many more errors than the one that I generate from
ncurses - I consider it an abandoned project).

05 Jan 2004 07:29 gritter

Re: libterm changes

> multiple tc='s are essentially a
> terminfo feature (since
> they're a byproduct of converting using
> ncurses infocmp).
> So it's not really termcap anymore.

I don't know of any other reasonably complete termcap file
besides ESR's one (to which your remark applies). So this
seemed a must-have to me for keeping libterm usable. In
principle, that is - in fact, nobody seemed to use one of the
offending entries with vi for years since nobody complained.
The actual reason was that I was notified about a termcap
patch that added a tc= before the last capability, which is
clearly broken, but not a problem anymore for vi now.

04 Jan 2004 06:41 tedickey

libterm changes
multiple tc='s are essentially a terminfo feature (since
they're a byproduct of converting using ncurses infocmp).
So it's not really termcap anymore.

Screenshot

Project Spotlight

coreBOS

A business empowering tool and adaptable software program.

Screenshot

Project Spotlight

Surf Canyon for Firefox

A plugin to find things faster on Google, Yahoo!, and MSN.