Projects / twin / Comments

Comments for twin

31 Mar 2011 10:31 paperinik

Thanks for the appreciation, tallship!
I guess one of the reasons is that I am not actively working on twin anymore... just some sporadic bugfixes.
And let's not forget that twin is very " retro' ": using text windows when also your mobile has a graphical interface is, at best, a small niche.

08 Feb 2011 21:57 tallship

I don't understand why this project has fallen off the map, so to speak.

There is no corollary to this product, as it runs nicely on my machines, full screen on a pager screen under KDE or XFCE (nice).

Within Twin itself, I have several windows running, typically w/SSH sessions to other machines I'm managing, where I'll run screen or tmux sessions.

Twin is a remarkable product, the latest release and tutorials/docs for which can be found at the author's website: http://linuz.sns.it/~max/twin

The current release at the time of this writing is 0.6.2

I am so surprised that there aren't several products based upon this software, which had its humble beginnings on <cough, cough> DOS, of all things.

KUDOS!!!

21 Jan 2003 06:53 ravenmorris

Re: Ah, Sweet Relief

> Glad to see this new release gets rid of
> the blinking. I'm in heaven now! I spend
> most of my time in the console, and a
> "window manager" for text mode is
> wonderful. Great work -- btw, where can
> I find info on increasing the size of my
> console (i.e. much more than the
> 80xwhatever default)?

Check out the Framebuffer HOWTO, or look at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Framebuffer.txt or whatever it is called. I suggest setting your console to 1024x768x8bit ... that provides good size and speed (unless you can get it hardware accellerated, then use 24-bit).

18 Jul 2000 05:57 paperinik

Mirrors
The connection to linuz.sns.it is having big problems recently :-(
You will surely have more luck using one of the mirrors:

25 May 2000 18:25 paperinik

Multiple simultaneous displays
I was expecting much more feedback then what I got about running twin with multiple simultaneous displays...
Come on, let me know your opinions on the new features I added!

19 Apr 2000 23:46 windozesux

Ah, Sweet Relief
Glad to see this new release gets rid of the blinking. I'm in heaven now! I spend most of my time in the console, and a "window manager" for text mode is wonderful. Great work -- btw, where can I find info on increasing the size of my console (i.e. much more than the 80xwhatever default)?

04 Apr 2000 19:52 paperinik

0.2.6 bug
It is probably against myself to admit this, but there was an unpleasant bug in 0.2.6 : it was possible to scroll the screen past its limit by holding the left or middle button and moving the mouse on the top screen border. This is the way you normally scroll the screen up, but it scrolled too much, messing up all windows.
I fixed it now, and I released the fixed version still with the name "0.2.6", replacing the previous one. Yep, it's cheating :-/
If someone meets this bug, he should probably download again.

03 Apr 2000 06:40 bakhtiar

Best program for CLI lovers.
I love CLI (console / command Line Interface). Mostly, I do my jobs in CLI mode, sometime it is difficult to handle many things at a same time. Sure I can use Alt+F1-Fn to change console, or use splitvt, but it need something that can handle all my working session (network monitoring) at the same time. Yes, there is X Window to help me, but, what if I had a computer with very low resources or graphic adapter that XFree86 doesn't support yet to work with?
I very impressed with twin and it may be used in my working environment for a long time. I use kernel's VGA+ Text mode and it is very stable (and easier to config) at this moment. I also tried using SVGATextMode (stm) to get better resolution/results (S3 Trio64) but it sometime hangs my computer if switches from X Window session to console mode.
I recommend twin to every body who likes CLI enviroment.

20 Mar 2000 08:35 paperinik

Re: Problems...
This is the &quot;I did a program for myself&quot; syndrome:
I like using high-intensity background colors on the console,
so I configured SVGATextMode with Option &quot;16color&quot; and I wrote
twin to use them.
Except for deleting twin ;) , there are a few options available now:
1) Configure SVGATextMode as I did (I don't think many people
like / need blinking)
2) Use twin on X11
3) Browse the sources and remove the HIGH bit on all background
colors
4) Wait for me to clean up color support (there are also monochrome
linux consoles)

17 Mar 2000 20:48 windozesux

Problems...
What's with the annoying blinking on the title bars, borders, etc.? It gives me a headache, making Twin pretty much useless... Neat idea, though.