Projects / TOra / Comments

Comments for TOra

04 Mar 2004 11:49 kervel

tora development version
If you have stability problems with the stable version, try
the development version (1.3). It works much better on
my system (offcourse that could be due to packaging/local
problems, don't know)

Also it seems getting tora to work for oracle is not as
painful as it was before: i use the mandrake packages on
debian (converted with alien) and oracle 10 instant client
(free download from otn). Works fine..

07 Feb 2002 14:02 slipwalker

Re: what a wonderful tool !!!

%% I was just wondering why you can't use
%% DBA Studio on linux. It is java based.
%% Similarly, how does this product
%% compare to DBA Studio? Why would I want
%% to use it instead of DBA Studio?
%% Thanks.
> Also DBA studio has no real worksheet (Just a cheap
> frontend to SQLPlus), no PL/SQL debugger, no schema
> browser worth it's name and loads of other stuff (Schema
> extraction also comes to mind). And also it is Java
> bloatware so it's really slow and cumbersome to work with.

that reply from the author pretty much covers it.

i can't use DBA studio because it is slooooow as hell... dumps everything i'm running onto the swap, and just hangs now or then... is that enough ?

you might want to run Tora for the same reason ppl on
NTworld run either SQLNavigator or Toad ( it is: productivity! ).
i've been using Tora since 0.12, and it covered
a long way i must say Tora currently can be compared to
Toad about speed ( just looses on - some - features ).

bottomline: Tora kicks the c**p out of DBAStudio at any day of the week... by any measurement you choose.

you're welcome.

28 Jan 2002 13:02 hpj

Re: what a wonderful tool !!!
Ok, as the author I'm biased about this product. But basically DBA Studio sucks big time. I don't actually know anybody who uses that professionally except consultants who work for Oracle. Also DBA studio has no real worksheet (Just a cheap frontend to SQLPlus), no PL/SQL debugger, no schema browser worth it's name and loads of other stuff (Schema extraction also comes to mind). And also it is Java bloatware so it's really slow and cumbersome to work with.

/Mauritz

GlobeCom AB

> I was just wondering why you can't use
> DBA Studio on linux. It is java based.
> Similarly, how does this product
> compare to DBA Studio? Why would I want
> to use it instead of DBA Studio?
> Thanks.

28 Jan 2002 12:07 wessto

Re: what a wonderful tool !!!
I was just wondering why you can't use DBA Studio on linux. It is java based.

Similarly, how does this product compare to DBA Studio? Why would I want to use it instead of DBA Studio?

Thanks.

> before this toolkit i was stuck with the
> ( dreadful ) console-based sql*plus to
> work with Oracle DB from my Linux
> boxes... and i was *sooo* jealous of
> those GUI SQL*Navigator for Windows.
> Well, no more tears from me; this one
> is a ***wonderful*** ( and fully
> functional ) clone !!!
> ( being using for 12hours now... and
> loving it ! )

02 Nov 2001 02:27 oddo

+h: jewish book
+h: jewish book

02 Jul 2001 22:50 slipwalker

what a wonderful tool !!!
before this toolkit i was stuck with the ( dreadful ) console-based sql*plus to work with Oracle DB from my Linux boxes... and i was *sooo* jealous of those GUI SQL*Navigator for Windows.

Well, no more tears from me; this one is a ***wonderful*** ( and fully functional ) clone !!!
( being using for 12hours now... and loving it ! )