Projects / TightVNC / Comments

RSS Comments for TightVNC

30 Oct 2002 22:48 limstylz

VNCViewer in listen mode over SSH
At the moment it doesnt seem possible to run the viewer (windows version) in listen mode and then have a server initiate a connection to it over SSH. I have tried using the the "allowloopback" entry in the registry and changing the default port number for the server on the listening machine also (it runs both the viewer and the vncviewer listening daemon), and every time I initiate a secure connection, I get "Loopback not allowed". I am running openssh on the listening machine (win2k) and initiating secure connections using putty. The port forward is currently set to 5500 although I have tried numerous variations using the + number of desktop variable on both putty and vncviewer /listen to no avail. Will this be a consideration in future releases or does someone have a fix for this already? Straight VNC over SSH works a treat, so why not the viewer in listen mode?

25 Oct 2002 22:21 const

Re: Icon in Service Tray

> I don't want the user to see the icon
> which shows up on their taskbar in the
> system tray. Question, how do I remove
> the icon but still allow the program to
> run in the background so the user
> doesn't know it. I use this program in a
> classroom setting to monitor student
> activity as well as maintaining /
> troubleshooting. If it were WINXP, I
> would just right click the system tray
> and go to properties and then to
> customize. These work stations are NT4.
> Any help would be appreciated.

I don't think it's a good idea to hide the fact that TightVNC is running from users. But from the other side, it's possible to disable tray icon. Here is a quote from the TridiaVNC change logs (in the beginning, TightVNC was based on TridiaVNC):

- Added registry flag to cleanly disable the tray icon on all
platforms and in all modes without affecting other settings.
The default is "0" and indicates that the tray icon should not
be disabled. A value of "1" will suppress the tray icon for
all users.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\ORL\WinVNC3\DisableTrayIcon DWORD "0"
HKLM\SOFTWARE\ORL\WinVNC3\DisableTrayIcon DWORD "1"

23 Oct 2002 09:08 dcoleman1us

Icon in Service Tray
I don't want the user to see the icon which shows up on their taskbar in the system tray. Question, how do I remove the icon but still allow the program to run in the background so the user doesn't know it. I use this program in a classroom setting to monitor student activity as well as maintaining / troubleshooting. If it were WINXP, I would just right click the system tray and go to properties and then to customize. These work stations are NT4. Any help would be appreciated.

11 Oct 2002 09:58 const

Re: connection limit

> Is there a way I can have more then 8
> connections addresses in the drop down
> box when you start VNC Viewer. I tried
> to modify the MRU in regedit but it
> would not let me store more then 8
> addresses.

There is a project to implement configurable number of remembered connections (besides other great things):
www.tightvnc.com/newvi...
Actually, that has been implemented already, the only problem is that nobody wants to compensate the development efforts...

11 Oct 2002 09:12 sashman

connection limit
Is there a way I can have more then 8 connections addresses in the drop down box when you start VNC Viewer. I tried to modify the MRU in regedit but it would not let me store more then 8 addresses.

07 Oct 2002 20:49 michaeljc8

remote upgrade
instead of requiring a reboot to install the new version, simply stop the server (stop the service or terminate the process), replace the files, then restart the server, before or after the user clicks on finish.

01 Oct 2002 17:03 const

Re: File Transfer

> Any prospect of some sort of File Transfer ?

Yes, we plan to include File Transfers in one of the next versions, one of our developers is working on the implementation.

01 Oct 2002 16:01 SevenSeas Thumbs up

File Transfer
Any prospect of some sort of File Transfer ? I know I can use managed FTP, but it can be a nuisance.

Many Thanks for GREAT enhancements to an already SUPERB programme ;}

01 Oct 2002 05:09 const

Re: What about PNG ?

> Then May you envelope it into some graphic format to have tight-compressed images?

Technically, it's not a problem, but I don't think that would make much sense -- software depends on the standards, and nobody will exchange images in a new format just because of better compression. Also, note that the algorithms used in the Tight encoding are more complex as compared to widely used formats. And another issue is that not all the pixel formats are used in the Tight encoding, only truecolor ones.

27 Sep 2002 04:44 AriochBdv

Re: What about PNG ?

> The "Tight" encoding implemented in
> TightVNC combines both JPEG and PNG-like

Hmm... really?

Open Camera

A camera app for Android.

j661

Provides a generic CDS (or ARINC 661 Server) conforming to the ARINC 661 standard.