Projects / TightVNC / Comments

Comments for TightVNC

10 Mar 2003 10:54 j392116

Re: Icon in Service Tray
I too would like to keep TightVNC hiden form the users, I use it to keep an eye on the kids when they are on the net.
I have changed the registry but this didn't work.

My company uses TightVNC and they manage to run it in a 'stealth mode'.

I know you dont recomend it but if the kids know im watching they will stop doing what ever it is they shouldn't be doing.

Kind regards, and well done on a great application.
J

03 Feb 2003 14:53 HBatra

Restart VNCviewer in listen mode when connection drops
I have a viewer sitting in listen mode. A server connects to it and then either the server operator uses 'Kill All Clients' or the connection drops - The viewer then just sits there with a 'Connection closed - OK' dialog, till someone presses the OK button when it returns to listening mode. I'd like it to return to listening mode whenever it detects a dropped/killed connection. Is that possible? How?

31 Jan 2003 13:28 tremmert

Re: Reverse Controll
I think it is a great idea, and I have been working on a solution the past week. There is a company that does it, called Desktop Streaming. It basically pushes a small app to the user, and once they receive it, it opens up, and they press connect. It connects to the viewer side, and then I have control of their desktop. Works great for desktop support, but I have not been able to find a free one. I will need a few more weeks until I can get it finished. I will post when im done...
Also, if anyone has any ideas, please inform me. Any help would be greatly appreciated

16 Jan 2003 19:14 Widez

Accented Character
I use last version of TightVNC and I noticed these problems

Using TightVNC Viewer on Windows NT4 SP6 Workstation and using TightVNC Server on a Windows NT4 SP6 Workstation :
typing a (ê) will make (e) [without the ()]
Using TightVNC Viewer on Windows NT4 SP6 Workstation and using TightVNC Server on a Windows 2000 Pro SP3 Workstation :
typing a (ê) will make a (e)
Using TightVNC Viewer on Windows 2000 Pro SP3 Workstation and using TightVNC Server on a Windows NT4 SP6 Workstation :
typing a (ê) will work : I have a (ê).
Using TightVNC Viewer on Windows 2000 Pro SP3 Workstation and using TightVNC Server on a Windows 2000 Pro SP3 Workstation :
typing a (ê) will make a (^^e)

I can understand that in english language, accented characters are not really useful.
But as a matter of fact they can be used in logon password and these bugs make the password not working properly.

Any hint to help me?

11 Jan 2003 00:12 const

Re: remote upgrade

> instead of requiring a reboot to install
> the new version, simply stop the server
> (stop the service or terminate the
> process), replace the files, then
> restart the server, before or after the
> user clicks on finish.

I agree, this is the right way to upgrade running server, but the installer used in TightVNC (Inno Setup) does not allow to implement such scenario. It always copies files prior to executing any commands that could stop the server.

11 Jan 2003 00:07 const

Re: Reverse Controll

> What VNC does is great, especialy being
> able to controll the server using a web
> Browser. But we want to do it the other
> way: have a web browser connect to a
> computer with the program installed on
> it(server if you like), and the server
> controll the computer through the
> browser (but with no specific software
> installed on it). Does any one know how
> to do this with VNC or any other
> program?

I think currently that's not possible, and I doubt it can be done at all. To share the desktop, you'll have to run some software on that machine. Maybe a sort of ActiveX control could do that, but I'm not sure.

05 Jan 2003 17:42 royce2020

Reverse Controll
What VNC does is great, especialy being able to controll the server using a web Browser. But we want to do it the other way: have a web browser connect to a computer with the program installed on it(server if you like), and the server controll the computer through the browser (but with no specific software installed on it). Does any one know how to do this with VNC or any other program?

08 Nov 2002 07:17 KaitsuN6

Re: VNCViewer in listen mode over SSH

Forgive me. Correction for:

> My configuration #1:
> -Alice - running TightVNC server with
> AllowLoopback option enabled (WinME)
> -Charlie - running TightVNC in listen
> mode and WinSSHD in SSH2 (W2000)
> I use PuTTY to open the connection from
> Alice to Charlie, forwarding Alices's
> port 5500 to Charlies port 5500.
> The "Forwarded ports:" window should
> say:
> L5500 Charlie:5500
> On Alice I add client Bob and the vnc
> listener opens at Charlie.

The TightVNC client to be added should be localhost (or 127.0.0.1) instead of Bob.

08 Nov 2002 03:21 KaitsuN6

Re: VNCViewer in listen mode over SSH

> At the moment it doesnt seem possible to
> run the viewer (windows version) in
> listen mode and then have a server
> initiate a connection to it over SSH.

Hi Dan!
This works for me.
My configuration #1:
-Alice - running TightVNC server with AllowLoopback option enabled (WinME)
-Charlie - running TightVNC in listen mode and WinSSHD in SSH2 (W2000)

I use PuTTY to open the connection from Alice to Charlie, forwarding Alices's port 5500 to Charlies port 5500.
The "Forwarded ports:" window should say:
L5500 Charlie:5500
On Alice I add client Bob and the vnc listener opens at Charlie.

My configuration #2:
-Alice - running TightVNC server (does not need AllowLoopback)(WinME)
-Bob - running WinSSHD in SSH2 (W2000)
-Charlie - running TightVNC in listen mode (W2000)

I use PuTTY to open the connection from Charlie to Bob, forwarding Bob's port 5500 to Charlies port 5500 , remeber to check the "remote ports do the same[SSH v2 only]", (you are running SSH2?) .
The "Forwarded ports:" window should say:
R5500 localhost:5500
On Alice I add client Bob and the vnc listener opens at Charlie.

05 Nov 2002 16:22 lastgamer

Re: Icon in Service Tray
Another option is to use a file editing program to edit the icons embedded with the program and just make the connected and disconnected icons the same.

> I don't want the user to see the icon
> which shows up on their taskbar in the
> system tray. Question, how do I remove
> the icon but still allow the program to
> run in the background so the user
> doesn't know it. I use this program in a
> classroom setting to monitor student
> activity as well as maintaining /
> troubleshooting. If it were WINXP, I
> would just right click the system tray
> and go to properties and then to
> customize. These work stations are NT4.
> Any help would be appreciated.