Projects / GNU TeXmacs / Comments

Comments for GNU TeXmacs

18 Feb 2013 08:27 vdhoeven

> It does not run on linux slackware64-current (as did also version 1.0.7.16).

In principle, TeXmacs works under all Linux distributions. For technical questions or assistance for the installation, please use our mailing list texmacs-users@texmacs.org

17 Feb 2013 13:11 jmdr

It does not run on linux slackware64-current (as did also version 1.0.7.16).
The window opens and then no action is possible in the program, it freezes, even impossible to close, unless I use xkill. After that some other programs get unusable (gftp segfaults), even after closing and launching X (need to reboot).

29 Aug 2009 12:42 drnil

Re: Port to (gasp) Windows?
>It runs perfectly well on windows with cygwin with X-11 and is included as an
>option in the cygwin installer.

It RAN perfectly well on Windows, but... Unfortunately, any support for Windows appears to have ceased (not only native but also cygwin version), and my impression is that TeXmacs on Windows effectively can be considered dead. The best sign of this is perhaps the install instructions www.texmacs.org/tmweb/download/windows.en.html . It gives the catastrophic recommendation to install the "CygTeXmacs.zip" package as the best method - after doing this your whole Cygwin installation will be irrepairably and thoroughly broken, and you could as well reformat your disk and reinstall. If you instead use the other suggestion to install from the Cygwin package, you receive an old (1.0.6) version with a broken PDF interface. (This is broken because it uses an outdated version of another Cygwin module.) The links to install instructions on www.texmacs.org/tmweb/download/cygwin.en.html point to non-existing pages. The instructions for installation says you MUST NOT install the ghostscript package (suppose I need this for other purposes?), and refers to a number of obsolete cygwin packages which must be installed, etc.

I think TeXmacs is an absolutely wonderful program, but installation is such a hassle, and the Windows version seems to be very much out of favor, so I believe that TeXmacs for Windows now basically has reached its end of life. The most serious problem is that if you try to install TeXmacs on your machoine, with high probability, you risk breaking many other important programs. If you REALLY want to run TeXmacs under Windows, you had better run a separate Windows under VMware (but then you could as well run Linux where TeXmacs is much more stable).

It is a pity on such a great program!

01 Oct 2008 03:26 evokateur

Re: Port to (gasp) Windows?
It runs perfectly well on windows with cygwin with X-11 and is included as an option in the cygwin installer.

> I love the plug-in capability to use

> TeXmacs with Cycas and other CAS

> utilities, as this fills neatly the void

> of a GPL Math program that can be used

> for both computation and presentation (a

> huge time waster). However, as has yet

> to be destablished, MS is the mainstay,

> and a windows port would be FANTASTIC!

> Any plans to do that?

16 Aug 2008 15:55 vdhoeven

Re: Project Website

> I really like the look of the TexMacs' website. I was surprised to see that

> the meta tag said it was generated in TexMacs, but saw in the FAQ that you do

> export your TexMacs documents to generate the website. That's exciting

> to me for making web pages with MathML. However, I noticed many errors when I

> entered the website address in http://validator.w3.org/. Might that

> suggest that the export to HTML needs work?

Sure, there may be some bugs. Any help in order to correct them would be helpful.

Please suscribe to the developers mailing list (or contact me directly) for further discussion.

14 Aug 2008 18:35 turgonofgondolin

Project Website
I really like the look of the TexMacs' website. I was surprised to see that the meta tag said it was generated in TexMacs, but saw in the FAQ that you do export your TexMacs documents to generate the website. That's exciting to me for making web pages with MathML. However, I noticed many errors when I entered the website address in http://validator.w3.org/. Might that suggest that the export to HTML needs work?

07 Dec 2004 15:21 rsbohn

Congrats to GNU TeXmacs
Congratulations to GNU TeXmacs, top project in the first edition of the Freshmeat.net Vitality Countdown (http://www.xmission.com/~rsbohn/podcast/freshmeat.net--countdown-2004.12.06.mp3).

RSBohn

22 Jun 2004 01:40 vdhoeven

Re: Port to (gasp) Windows?

> a windows port would be FANTASTIC! Any plans to do that?

We are working on that; see http://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/download/windows.en.html for an alpha-version.

21 Jun 2004 17:58 gustable

Port to (gasp) Windows?
I love the plug-in capability to use TeXmacs with Cycas and other CAS utilities, as this fills neatly the void of a GPL Math program that can be used for both computation and presentation (a huge time waster). However, as has yet to be destablished, MS is the mainstay, and a windows port would be FANTASTIC! Any plans to do that?

08 May 2003 05:34 ccat

Name is misleading
Great program! I've been looking for such a text editor ever since I got a computer. It's really a pleasure writing stuff in Texmacs, and it makes huge programs like Word obsolete IMHO.

I think the name is a bit misleading though. It has nothing to do with emacs. Being a vi user myself, I was at first scared to download and try texmacs. :)

How about TeXditor or TeXuthor?