Projects / Tellico / Comments

Comments for Tellico

03 Aug 2006 21:45 parys

Re: Nice application for home users

> Tellico has a lot of good features but

> lacks a little for any librian. e.g. you

> can only enter numbers for pages, nit

> XIV,123, A1-A3.

Just change the field, then.

> Also I miss a field for illustrations,

> figs. etc and a field for bibliography

> or indecx.

Just add the field then.

> In fact it should all be combined in a

> collation field (which can't be listed

> or filtered).

Just combine the fields then. Though I fail to see why I should prevent the user from listing or filtering that field.

> I also miss a note field. Librarians

> loves notes.

Just add the field then.

> Finally I miss a layout choice of the

> known catalog card.

Not sure what you mean there.

> That's 2 points off :-) Still a nice

> application for home users.

Seems like you missed the field editor in the collection menu.

03 Aug 2006 12:40 Thulemanden

Nice application for home users
Tellico has a lot of good features but lacks a little for any librian. e.g. you can only enter numbers for pages, nit XIV,123, A1-A3.

Also I miss a field for illustrations, figs. etc and a field for bibliography or indecx.

In fact it should all be combined in a collation field (which can't be listed or filtered).

I also miss a note field. Librarians loves notes.

Finally I miss a layout choice of the known catalog card.

That's 2 points off :-) Still a nice application for home users.

13 Feb 2005 09:30 parys

Re: Very Good catalog

> Could the internet serches be

> treated as plugins for the program or

> find another way to manage the search

> sourses. I'm saying this because I'd

> like to add or someone to add other

> sources (for example amazon in other

> languages or other other information

> websites) without changing the source

> code of tellico and recompilling. I'd

> also like to mention the searches to

> imdb ignores the "popular

> results" where ususally the movie

> you are searching is.

The popular results for IMDb should work properly in the latest version.

I'm not sure about plugins - that's a bit beyond my knowledge of coding. But if you write any scripts that output the Tellico xml, you can merge that into your collection, such as done with these programs: http://lehvaslaiho.homelinux.org/progs/ (http://lehvaslaiho.homelinux.org/progs/) They don't run from within the user interface, but the command-line.

26 Jan 2005 11:09 magp

Very Good catalog
I'd like to thank you for this program. It is the best around. Just a couple of comments. Could the internet serches be treated as plugins for the program or find another way to manage the search sourses. I'm saying this because I'd like to add or someone to add other sources (for example amazon in other languages or other other information websites) without changing the source code of tellico and recompilling. I'd also like to mention the searches to imdb ignores the "popular results" where ususally the movie you are searching is. Thanks again for all the work and congratullations for the results.

mgp

07 Dec 2004 07:33 felixmvg

Great App! Help volunteered.
What a wonderful application this is. It's exactly what I've been looking for for yonks but have never been able to find until now.

I noticed there doesn't seem to be a Dutch translation available yet and was wondering if you might need some help with that.

English -> Dutch translator, at your service. Would be glad to help out!

Felix (felix (at) nypels (dot) name)

06 Nov 2004 04:08 groebbel

numbering
Nice database, except I would need to have consecutive numbering for all items (movies), like other movie databases have. Numbering is in my opinion the best and most simple opportunity to find one disc out of a hundred and one.

03 Aug 2003 11:04 Thulemanden

It is what is sets out to be
This is the kind of product that is so great for a low level home user. Easy to install as rpm and works off the bat.
Everything is logical (except one) and everything works.

i have a single thing I believe need to changed soonest: The 'New Document' icon is actually somewhat of a trap as it in reality starts a new 'database', or rather new collection and not prepares entering af new book. For this, one simply enters the items information in the empty fields and presses 'add book'.

I guarantee that little trap puts off 90% of the users, right there.
The text needs to be 'New collection' not 'New document'. People will believe their book is the document, while the developer means the comprehensive book database.

With that little change I'd give this little gem an A+ for honesty, funtionality, features and size.

16 Jan 2003 20:49 morleron

Bookcase 0.4.1
A nice product with an easy to use and understand interface. There are a wide variety of ways to view your data once you get it into the database, which is XML, BTW. I'm looking forward to the promised configurable printed reports. Overall, I'd give it two thumbs up, even though it is hard to type like that.