Projects / openSUSE / Comments

Comments for openSUSE

20 Mar 2013 14:07 whitemice

Simply excellent. I can install openSUSE and immediatley get to work. Yast management interface is excellent and the package selection is robust and current. Hardware support best-of-breed. In-place upgrades have a very high success rate. Sound, suspend/resume, wireless, all work out-of-box.

20 Sep 2007 16:53 apokryphos

Re: "minor changes" for the 7.1 ? :)
Bah, strange commenting system here. I thought that was a reply to the current story :-)

20 Sep 2007 16:46 apokryphos

Re: "minor changes" for the 7.1 ? :)

> Nope.. They always delay putting it on

> the ftp server for a few weeks to try to

> get more people to buy the boxed

> release. They also very rarely release

> any ISO's and if they do (like with 7.2)

> they put them under a

> "japanese-7.1" directory to

> discourage downloads. Quite sneaky if

> you ask me, one of the reasons I

> switched to gentoo.

First of all: this is an RC1 (development) release, not a final release. The CDs (live and install) are available fully via http/ftp.

The DVD is available via torrent, or via DELTA ISO. It has been like this for aaages, and it done for all development releases to save the stress on the mirrors, not for any other reason.

When the release is announced, the DVD ISO is available straight away via HTTP/FTP. openSUSE barely even push for the boxed-product so I honestly don't have a clue what you're talking about there.... strange conspiracy theory.

20 Sep 2007 16:39 apokryphos

Re: ESPOONTOOSHORT?

> Given Novell's willingness to sell Linux

> down the river for their own short term

> gain through their patent pact with

> Microsoft, you might like to consider a

> distro produced by someone more

> trustworthy.

> Debian is a lovely distribution. If

> you're a hardcore UNIX traditionalist,

> then Slackware never dissapoints. If you

> would like something with a little more

> hand-holding, try Ubuntu, which is based

> on Debian. So far all of these distros

> have been relatively unblemished by the

> sort of short term venal betrayal that

> we've seen from Novell, the owners of

> SuSe.

> I have used this distro on a few

> projects, as less UNIX-savvy colleagues

> like it, but I shan't any longer. They

> can just learn to love Slackware or

> Debian. I know they'll thank me for it

> eventually..

Have you read your own comments here? Novell is "selling Linux down the drain".. Novell is a company that has quite clearly positioned and grounded themselves in open-source, with Linux, now. Even if we imagined Novell to be the big bad wolf you hope it is, it wouldn't make the slightest bit of sense.

Let's be clear here: Novell/SUSE is the single biggest contributor in the world to the Linux _desktop_. They're piping more effort and resources into it than anyone else, with countless developers in countless open source projects.

I suggest you get over the fact that they made a deal with a company that you dislike and stop spreading FUD. If you're not using SUSE because it's sponsored by Novell I hope you're consistent and stop using half of the big applications in Linux (oh, small things like the Linux kernel, OOo, KDE, GNOME, ALSA, GCC, Compiz) which Novell sponsors too.

Debian is a lovely distribution for a new user if you want to scare them away from Linux forever. It has its advantages, but I wouldn't dream of recommending it to my parents. Would you?

27 Nov 2006 00:55 gwayne

Nice distro
I am playing with Opensuse and I like it a lot. But a remark about the deal between Microsoft and Novell.

1) Be rational, nobody can oversee the results except that Novell has more money now and that companies shall use Suse more often.

2) Use a distribution because of its abilities (Linux is about having a choice)

I shall keep on using OpenSuse because of its capabilities.

But about 10.2, its better then 10.1 ;) Less troubles at the start.

24 Nov 2006 03:46 ancipital

ESPOONTOOSHORT?
Given Novell's willingness to sell Linux down the river for their own short term gain through their patent pact with Microsoft, you might like to consider a distro produced by someone more trustworthy.

Debian is a lovely distribution. If you're a hardcore UNIX traditionalist, then Slackware never dissapoints. If you would like something with a little more hand-holding, try Ubuntu, which is based on Debian. So far all of these distros have been relatively unblemished by the sort of short term venal betrayal that we've seen from Novell, the owners of SuSe.

I have used this distro on a few projects, as less UNIX-savvy colleagues like it, but I shan't any longer. They can just learn to love Slackware or Debian. I know they'll thank me for it eventually..

13 Apr 2006 21:46 azhrei_fje

I like SUSE
I like SUSE Linux and have used it exclusively on my

laptops (Sony VAIO and Compaq Presario AMD64) for the

last 4-5 years, starting with SUSE 9.0 (I think?). I like that

they back-port the latest kernel patches into their "stock"

kernel tree, but I would like the online update to give the

option of not just updating against their "official" tree, but

also some of the apt and/or yum repositories as well. (I

have apt installed and use it for some things, but the

automated YOU system is pretty nice, too.)

It's disappointing that tools like MPlayer and VLC are so

tough to find for SUSE, though. :( I understand that

Novell, and to a lesser extent, the PHBs at SUSE, are

concerned about litigation over patent encumbered codecs.

But how do these things get distributed for other

distributions? Just acquire the same techniques... Or work

on making the RH/FC spec files work on SUSE.

15 Feb 2004 08:35 matti123

Re: SuSE ...
No, i think it is not a big bug like Windows and Yast is good sorted so you can find everything fast. For Buissnes and Offices it is the best Distribution but for Hackers you can forget it.

13 May 2002 07:25 pjprior

Re: "minor changes" for the 7.1 ? :)

> The ftp does not seam to contain the
> distro. Are they /.'ed?

Nope.. They always delay putting it on the ftp server for a few weeks to try to get more people to buy the boxed release. They also very rarely release any ISO's and if they do (like with 7.2) they put them under a "japanese-7.1" directory to discourage downloads. Quite sneaky if you ask me, one of the reasons I switched to gentoo.

14 Aug 2001 14:46 koinu

SuSE ...

My personal opinion is that SuSE is mainly for
Linux-beginners. I started with SuSE long time
ago and learned pretty much. But I also
noticed that it developed too slow for me and
changed the distribution short after 6.0 came out.

The price is quite high and makes not much
difference to Windoze, when you would like to
stay up-to-date.