Projects / StarOffice / Comments

Comments for StarOffice

13 Jan 2004 10:55 Demitsu

Re: Troll

> sorry man but lynx just sucks

Why? Reasons?

> who needs to conserve bandwidth?!!

Modem users? People sharing bandwidth with other users?

> i think it's time for a cable modem my friend

Not everybody has the money to afford cable. Mind that.

28 Apr 2003 00:17 brainless

There is an Open-Source Alternative to StarOffice

There is an Open Source Alternative (http://freshmeat.net/projects/openoffice/) to the StarOffice.

With the OpenOffice Suite (http://freshmeat.net/projects/openoffice/) you get ALL the source code.

With StarOffice (http://freshmeat.net/projects/staroffice/) all you get is a binary file, with NO option to tweak the software to your own liking.

Get the OpenOffice Suite (http://freshmeat.net/projects/openoffice/) now !

24 Apr 2001 17:21 demerson

Re: Star Division's Page
sorry man but lynx just sucks. who needs to conserve bandwidth?!! i think it's time for a cable modem my friend.

> Well, I wanted to try Star Office, I
> really did, but
> unfortunantly their page is not
> friendly to anyone who
> doesn't use Netscape. It's full of
> frames (I stopped
> counting at about #10) and all the
> links are JavaScript
> references. Come on Star Division,
> what about those of us
> who try to conserve bandwidth by using
> lynx?

11 Feb 2000 14:57 etch007

Bigger than a Really Big thing
Does anyone know where I can get a 10 Mbps modem?

18 Jul 1999 16:05 pyro1

It's a little bloated, but it works!!
I agree that StarOffice a little bloated, but it has all the functionality that anyone would need, I challange anyone to find an office suite for linux that is free and offers half of what this does. Plus it is a good program for people who are switching from M$ to linux. It is bloated, but if you have a beefy enough machine, it can handle it. Just my $0.02.

02 Jun 1999 09:03 mccooper

StarOffice downloads
Does anyone know if there are any gzipped versions of the StarOffice file which can be downloaded. The file on the Stardivision ftp site is a 70Mb file in the .tar format, not even zipped. Thanks.

25 May 1999 09:35 jcolson

Netscape
Yes Netscape locks up, and even dies. It is particularly prone to stop accepting keyboard input after certain menu box selections. Sometimes you can get out of this trap by switching to a terminal window and typing something there and then switching back to Netscape. There is actually a pretty nice browser in KDE, but the e-mail app in KDE is not as good, especially if you need to be able to read mail from one server to more than one office location. The Netscape mail client does this pretty well.

16 Mar 1999 06:51 khan

StarOffice Website crashes Linux Netscape v4.07
StarOffice guys need to sort out their registeration form. When registering to download personal edition of SO5.01 for Linux, both me and my friend's Netscape browser crashes. It crashes when we're selecting the country we live in. The graphic gets messed up and Netscape freezes and so we can't register to download SO. We ended up registering via Win98's IE4 and that was swift. Come on guys, we shouldn't have to take the long route. But otherwise SO is awesome!! (Yes we're new to Linux! =))

12 Feb 1999 14:28 saintskully

Star Division's Page
Well, I wanted to try Star Office, I really did, but
unfortunantly their page is not friendly to anyone who
doesn't use Netscape. It's full of frames (I stopped
counting at about #10) and all the links are JavaScript
references. Come on Star Division, what about those of us
who try to conserve bandwidth by using lynx?