Projects / SpamProbe

SpamProbe

SpamProbe is a spam detection program that uses a Bayesian analysis of the frequencies of terms used in the email. Because it filters email based on content rather than on general rules, it easily adapts itself to the types of email that each individual user normally receives.

Tags
Licenses
Operating Systems
Implementation

Recent releases

  •  18 Feb 2006 14:58

    Release Notes: This release fixes a pair of bugs related to email messages with no lines in their bodies. Headers from email messages with no bodies were not being tokenized, and it was possible for a message with invalid MIME headers and no body to lead to a crash.

    •  30 Jan 2006 20:37

      Release Notes: This release fixes a bug in decoding malformed base64 encoded data that manifested itself in some architectures. It also corrects a typo in the online help. Some code cleanup and minor performance tweaks were added as well.

      •  29 Dec 2005 18:22

        Release Notes: Contains all improvements from the 1.3 experimental versions, including tokenization of image attachments to stop content-free image spam, native support for maildir mailboxes, and an online help system. Also includes significant performance improvements, and closes all open bugs from 1.2a.

        •  20 Dec 2005 03:40

          Release Notes: This release restores the -o suspicious-tags feature that had been accidentally removed in 1.2. It also fixes a text attachment parsing bug introduced in 1.3x1 (text attachments were effectively parsed dozens of times).

          •  16 Dec 2005 19:25

            Release Notes: This release adds support for the Maildir (qmail) mailbox format, an online help system, and two new commands: create-db and create-dir.

            Recent comments

            20 Dec 2005 12:16 bburton

            Re: Update from version 1.0a to 1.2a *very* useful, still blows it!!


            > Even with the correct build, when I run

            > spamprobe find-good on my latest spam

            > mails, I get totally miserable results

            > compared to 1.0a! Strange! Do I have to

            > retrain this new version with

            > train-spam?

            1.2 uses a different parser than 1.0 so there would be a benefit to updating your database using 1.2a to get the new terms found by the new parser. I don't know what "totally miserable" means to you but if you are saying that 1.2a isn't finding any spams then clearly there is a problem with your database. 1.2 is at least as accurate as 1.0 in all of my tests.

            20 Dec 2005 12:04 tmstaedt

            Re: Update from version 1.0a to 1.2a *very* useful, still blows it!!
            Even with the correct build, when I run spamprobe find-good on my latest spam mails, I get totally miserable results compared to 1.0a! Strange! Do I have to retrain this new version with train-spam?

            > Nico,

            >

            > Well, I made a mistake when building

            > spamprobe. My database is Berkeley db

            > and I somehow built it with that new

            > hash feature enabled.

            > Here is the configure command, that

            > built it correctly, I assume:

            >

            > LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib

            > CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include/db3/

            > ./configure --enable-cdb

            > --with-db=/usr/local/lib/

            >

            > Regards,

            >

            >

            > % Hi,

            > % completely different experiences over

            > % here. At least when the PBL DB is

            > used

            > % SpamProbe belongs to the fastest

            > % Bayesian classifiers. The accuracy in

            > % 1.2a is excellent as well. Even

            > better

            > % in 1.3.x btw.

            > %

            > % Regards, Nico

            >

            >

            >

            20 Dec 2005 11:57 tmstaedt

            Re: Update from version 1.0a to 1.2a *very* useful
            Nico,

            Well, I made a mistake when building spamprobe. My database is Berkeley db and I somehow built it with that new hash feature enabled.

            Here is the configure command, that built it correctly, I assume:

            LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include/db3/ ./configure --enable-cdb --with-db=/usr/local/lib/

            Regards,

            > Hi,

            > completely different experiences over

            > here. At least when the PBL DB is used

            > SpamProbe belongs to the fastest

            > Bayesian classifiers. The accuracy in

            > 1.2a is excellent as well. Even better

            > in 1.3.x btw.

            >

            > Regards, Nico

            08 Dec 2005 01:35 BaudBandit

            Update from version 1.0a to 1.2a *very* useful
            Hi,
            completely different experiences over here. At least when the PBL DB is used SpamProbe belongs to the fastest Bayesian classifiers. The accuracy in 1.2a is excellent as well. Even better in 1.3.x btw.

            Regards, Nico

            07 Dec 2005 13:31 tmstaedt

            Update from version 1.0a to 1.2a not useful
            Hallo,

            spamprobe 1.2a somehow blows it completely for me. Bad, bad results, while 1.0a was and is pretty good, albeit somewhat slow.

            Regards,

            Thomas Mittelstaedt

            tmstaedt @ t-mittelstaedt . de

            Screenshot

            Project Spotlight

            OpenStack4j

            A Fluent OpenStack client API for Java.

            Screenshot

            Project Spotlight

            TurnKey TWiki Appliance

            A TWiki appliance that is easy to use and lightweight.