Comments for The SpamBouncer

24 Feb 2008 21:11 rajceeri

Spambouncer Status
Hello,

The spambouncer site news (http://www.spambouncer.org/whatsnew.shtml) indicates the last release to be dated April 16, 2006 version 2.2 and 2.3 beta.

I understand that Catherine Hampton (Ariel) author of spambouncer has since got married and appears to have put spambouncer on "hold".

26 Jul 2006 08:10 TheGolem

Need Updates
A lot of spam is beginning to get through even with my additional procmail recipes and these are usually caught with the updates. I wonder if Catherine is sick or giving up the project or just behind on this? Does anyone know? I really don't want to install spamassassin on my server. I use it on another server and while it works well, it takes a lot of the control away from me whereas spambouncer provides so many ways to control and filter manually that it just puts me in the driver's seat and I prefer that.

Anybody know what is going on with Catherine?

Hank

07 Mar 2006 10:07 brainchild

3 months no update?
Anyone happen to know what's going on with SpamBouncer? The last update is 2005-12-22, and it's now nearly 3 months later. I'm worried something may have happened to Catherine. Anyone have any news?

02 Mar 2006 12:36 SallyShears

SpamBouncer is Terrific
I'm just a little confused about spambouncer here on freshmeat vs. spambouncer.org, but I want to say that SpamBouncer is just terrific.

I depend on Catherine's frequent updates and I have added a few procmail recipies of my own. In particular, SpamBouncer helps by checking lists of URLs mentioned in spams. I'm seeing a few false positives (msgs with links to cgi scripts named ?.exe for example), but it's doing a great job here.

Thanks, Catherine, for SpamBouncer.

04 Jul 2004 13:35 BACbKA

freshmeat subscribers of SpamBouncer: thanks for your patience
Due to various personal reasons (and hence a lack of time) I couldn't devote enough resources to beta-testing and announcing spambouncer updates. Hopefully, it's back to normal effective immediately. (My policy is to announce it on freshmeat only once I have checked the major source code differences and tested it on my site, unless it is marked upstream as an "urgent fix"). BTW, happy holiday to the U.S. readers...

04 Jul 2004 13:19 BACbKA

feedback on spambouncer performance
Since my original comment, various update came and went, and some were better and some were worse at catching spam. However, instead of publicly posting the hit-and-miss ratio for the spammers to use to adjust their nasty spamguns, I now use the spamtrap address posted on the spambouncer home page, where I forward all the seeped through spam as an attachment. If you do so too, be sure you've checked for updates before you flood the spamtrap :)

Overall, I still continue using spambouncer and I think it is a great tool. It also prompted me to learn procmail a bit more and thus I was able to enhance my set up with a lot of local customizations that help me in my daily mail processing.

04 Jul 2004 13:15 BACbKA

Re: thanks to Catherine A. Hampton!!

> I agree that SpamBouncer is a great

> tool. But I noticed that despite what it

> says, messages are being caught as spam

> even though they originate from

> addresses that are listed in the

> NOBOUNCE file. I e-mailed the author but

I have never seen this, except maybe when somebody else was obviously faking the mail, some fakery detection might be working before the NOBOUNCE check. Overall, NOBOUNCE was very reliable for me.

> have not received a response. Maybe the

From my personal experience, Catherine Hampton works in what's known as a "Linus mode" wrt the feedback emails. If you fired a bug report with enough info for her to fix it, she'll silently fix it in the next release with minimal comments on the project main page. If you sent her an email that betrays obvious misconfiguration, you'll probably be ignored. (If you are talking about an obscure feature, you might be ignored even if you submit a patch - reminds Linus, doesn't it? but NOBOUNCE certainly isn't obscure).

> product has gone commercial. Has anyone

> seen this behavior before? Any ideas as

> to what may be causing it?

Did you try the latest version (from June 28 as of today)?

04 Jul 2004 13:09 BACbKA

Re: thanks to Catherine A. Hampton!!

> Does anyone know if SpamBouncer will

> continue as an open source product?

So far it has. The project home page says that

as long as one abides by the GPL terms in redistributing it, it's alright, so noone precludes you to fork it off as a pure GPL project of your own if you want.

> I've noticed that a comany called

> CyberNet is now selling it, and there

> have been no updates on the web site in

> nearly six months.

There have been periods of inactivity on the upstream page apparently due to the author's day-job workload bursts. However, it keeps going.

04 May 2004 16:24 meystel

Re: thanks to Catherine A. Hampton!!
I agree that SpamBouncer is a great tool. But I noticed that despite what it says, messages are being caught as spam even though they originate from addresses that are listed in the NOBOUNCE file. I e-mailed the author but have not received a response. Maybe the product has gone commercial. Has anyone seen this behavior before? Any ideas as to what may be causing it?

14 Jul 2003 12:45 waltligon

Re: thanks to Catherine A. Hampton!!
Does anyone know if SpamBouncer will continue as an open source product? I've noticed that a comany called CyberNet is now selling it, and there have been no updates on the web site in nearly six months.