Projects / slapt-get / Comments

02 Jun 2005 09:48 jaos

Re: Synaptic

> While I like slapt-get very much (

> being a former Debian user ) I would

> like it even more if I had Synaptic

> available . Since slap-get is

> implemented would it be so difficult to

> have Synaptic ?

Hopefully glsapt will soon fill that need.

26 Apr 2005 17:14 mforce

Synaptic
While I like slapt-get very much ( being a former Debian user ) I would like it even more if I had Synaptic available . Since slap-get is implemented would it be so difficult to have Synaptic ?

Apt-get for RPM has Synaptic , why shouldn't slapt-get have it ?

Right now I'm enjoying Slack's speed but I'm just about to give it up to go back to the almost perfect apt-get+aptitude+Synaptic+huge Debian repository .

I realise that Slackware doesn't have all that for now but even though it has slapt-get will it ever have it all ?

I think the day for the DIY no dependencies handling are gone so it's about time Slackware implemented a new package managment system to fully support dependencies.

12 Feb 2005 19:39 jaos

Re: Error

> -c -o src/common.o src/common.c

> In file included from src/common.c:19:

> include/main.h:25:23: curl/curl.h: No

> such file or directory

> include/main.h:26:24: curl/types.h: No

> such file or directory

> include/main.h:27:23: curl/easy.h: No

> such file or directory

> make: *** [src/common.o] Error 1

You need libcurl installed to build from source. See the list of Dependencies above on this project's page for a link to libcurl.

12 Feb 2005 14:32 schizo86

Error
(root@hater.telehor.org)[~]# cd slapt-get-0.9.9g

(root@hater.telehor.org)[~/slapt-get-0.9.9g]# ls

COPYING Changelog FAQ FAQ.html INSTALL Makefile README TODO example.slapt-getrc include po slack-desc slack-required slapt-get.8 src

(root@hater.telehor.org)[~/slapt-get-0.9.9g]# pico INSTALL

(root@hater.telehor.org)[~/slapt-get-0.9.9g]# make

gcc -W -Werror -Wall -O2 -ansi -pedantic -Iinclude -DPROGRAM_NAME="\"slapt-get\"" -DVERSION="\"0.9.9g\"" -DRC_LOCATION="\"/etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc\"" -DENABLE_NLS -DLOCALESDIR="\"/usr/share/locale\"" -c -o src/common.o src/common.c

In file included from src/common.c:19:

include/main.h:25:23: curl/curl.h: No such file or directory

include/main.h:26:24: curl/types.h: No such file or directory

include/main.h:27:23: curl/easy.h: No such file or directory

make: *** [src/common.o] Error 1

06 Feb 2005 15:40 siegex

Slapt Update 1.0 Released!
For those of you who are not on the slapt-get mailing lists, I'd like to introduce you to my 'Slapt Update' script.

This script will notify you via email about new Slackware packages as they become availible. It has the following features:

[*] Sends an email notification that includes the list of packages that have been updated,removed or added along with the new changelog excerpt

[*] Ability to track either current or stable

[*] Ability to automatically download (but not install) packages when new updates are found

[*] Ability to ignore excludes

[*] Ability to report obsolete packages

[*] Ability to send the report to STDOUT rather than an email

[*] If Changelog URL stops working, a notification email will be sent

[*] Changelog report is optional

[*] Ability to have the script check for new versions of itself

Get it at http://www.atozcomp.com/slapt_update

29 Jan 2005 18:51 jaos

Re: Error after update.

> This happened to me yesterday when I did

> slapt-get --upgrade (using ver. 0.9.9b).

> I downloaded libidn-0.5.8-i486-1.tgz

> from the current tree on my favourite

> mirror, and installed it with

> installpkg; it worked.

> I think I'll stay away from doing a

> global upgrade again.

You can expect a moving target when running -current. The problem arose when a new curl, that was built against libidn, was uploaded into -current. Subsequent versions of slapt-get for -current/10.1 have libidn listed as a dependency.

take care,

jason

25 Jan 2005 20:25 jintingyu

Re: Error after update.

> I updated to the 0.9.9c and now I get
> the following error:
> slapt-get
> slapt-get: error while loading shared
> libraries: libidn.so.11: cannot open
> shared object file: No such file or
> directory
> I searched thru the MANIFEST.bz2 it does
> not contain libidn, I googled and
> couldn't find anything about slackware
> and libidn. I've had no problems until
> now.

This happened to me yesterday when I did slapt-get --upgrade (using ver. 0.9.9b). I downloaded libidn-0.5.8-i486-1.tgz (http://www.slackware.at/data/slackware-current/slackware/l/libidn-0.5.8-i486-1.tgz) from the current tree on my favourite mirror, and installed it with installpkg; it worked.

I think I'll stay away from doing a global upgrade again.

12 Jan 2005 11:06 rdebath

Re: Dependancies check only check "packages"

> Unlike many people

Yes. Make that most! :-)

> Debian

It is quite easy to tell the debian system you have installed something manually that does the job of some package or collection. You just use the package "equivs" with this you tell dpkg that any 'standard' package is installed when it isn't really.

Likewise if you want your application to actually be installed as if it's a real debian package you use a slackware like tgz file and "alien". (I tend to use this method)

Leftover libraries are a problem, there are tools to help (eg: debfoster), but so far I'm not keen on those I've seen and usually end up comparing before and after package lists.

> A much better approach would be to add a

> shell script to the

> package which try to guess

TRY is the operative word here. Your shell script will either end up trying and failing or you've just rewritten a minimal core of dpkg in bash.

Also your script will not help to see if it's safe to remove a library that you _think_ is unused.

24 Dec 2004 04:40 olive

Dependancies check only check "packages"
Unlike many people it, I do not like this idea of dependencies

check. It works only if we have installed the dependencies

with a "package" and won't be able to help if the required

libraries or application has been installed in another way (by

compiling it from sources for example). Almost every other

distribution (all that I know: Debian, Redhat, Mandrake,...)

split their packages in small parts which make it virtually

impossible to systematically use the "nodeps" option which is

necessary if some system componant have been installed

manually; moreover this make the uninstallation of a package

difficult because there is always a remaining library.

I would suggest that a user who want to install everything via

packages without tweaking the system himself simply use

Debian; it has indeed an excellent packagement system for

this purpose and I see no need to try to copy it. (By the way

I have switched from Mandrake to Slackware precisely

because it was virtually impossible to tweak the system

without breaking something)

A much better approach would be to add a shell script to the

package which try to guess if the package would work on the

system; no matter on how the required componants have

been installed; and warn the user if it detect something

suspicious; like the configure in autoconf.

15 Dec 2004 21:52 OpenSorce

Well Done
The only thing I ever liked about Debian now available in my favorite distro. Sir, I salute you :-)