Projects / sblive / Comments

Comments for sblive

10 Jun 2001 02:45 JavaCowboy

SB Live on Mandrake 8.0 Kernel 2.4.3
I'm trying to get my SB Live! card to work on
Mandrake 8.0, which uses Linux Kernel 2.4.3 with
no success.

My system correctly identifies my sound card, but
can't get it to work. I've tried running
HardDrake, sndconfig and have gotten nothing but
error messages. I've also tried downloading the
driver from CreativeLabs and following a
step-by-step procedure that someone posted to
LinuxNewbie.org, with no success.

Since I'm new to Linux, I have no idea why my
system can't get my sound card to work when the
right drivers are (apparently) installed. The
CreativeLabs site said that their drivers would
only work on version 2.2.something of the Linux
Kernel.

If anyone has any idea as to why my card isn't
working and how to fix the problem, please email
me at:

luked@canada.com

23 Sep 2000 17:34 chrisgarde

SB live is now OPEN SOURCE !!!
I just wanted to say that I have just compiled the latest drivers on a linux kernel 2.2.16 and that they work just fine...

26 Jun 2000 17:26 brteag00

alsa drivers?
does anyone have any experience with the SBLive drivers from the alsa project? it says they're supported...and i'd love to know what experiences people have had before going out and purchasing my own...

thanks! -brian

21 Feb 2000 03:03 ivand

Redhat 6.1 work find for me.
im not too sure about the kernel version, i just wanted to
add a comment, that mentionned version 1.0 is out.
The file is still referred as a emulator.
The readme was well written even for a newbie like me.
Well ,i'm still unable to get my rear speakers to work,
but the subwoofer and the front speakers works, kewl.

19 Oct 1999 20:22 broeken

SbLIVE! I did it,
I got it working on a RedHat release 6.1

it's all above, change the file names to 2.2.12-20

and hexedit the emu10k1 file and change the 2.2.5-1 to 2.2.12-20

and it works fine!

hope sb will make some new drivers , THIS SUCKS!

i posted the changed drivers on my site --> http://www.broeken.nl <--

you can download the tar.gz file there in the doenload area!

bye
marco broeken

19 Oct 1999 20:21 broeken

SbLIVE! I did it,
I got it working on a RedHat release 6.1

it's all above, change the file names to 2.2.12-20

and hexedit the emu10k1 file and change the 2.2.5-1 to 2.2.12-20

and it works fine!

hope sb will make some new drivers , THIS SUCKS!

i posted the changed drivers on my site http://www.broeken.nl

you can download the tar.gz file there in the doenload area!

bye
marco broeken

27 Sep 1999 15:11 squisher

modules for later kernel versions?
Hi guys (and girls ;)
Does anybody know if CreativeLabs is planing to release soon modules for later kernels?
I am currently working with 2.2.11 and wanted to upgrade to 2.2.12 (hehe, didn't check on kernels for some time, is there already something newer out?) and in the package are only drivers for 2.2.10. They're compiled with version check on, so you can really only use them with 2.2.10 (as far as I know). So does anybody know anything about it? Are there maybe drivers from 3rd party?
Thanks.

30 Jun 1999 22:45 mbr

Easy install SB Live!
If you use another version than 2.0.36 or 2.2.5 just add
alias sound sblive
pre-install sblive insmod soundcore
post-remove sblive rmmod soundcore
install sblive insmod -f sblive
to /etc/conf.modules. Copy sblive-2.2.5.o to /lib/modules/(kernel version)/misc/sblive.o and run modprobe sblive.
Sblive-2.2.5.o doesn't work under kernel 2.2.10, however.
For more details, visit my Linux SB Live! page: http://www.euronet.nl/~mailme

23 Jun 1999 13:38 merledarling

AARRGH!
Heh, I forgot something else.

A line in the install script reads:
MODNAME="sblive.o-$VER"

I changed this to:
MODNAME="sblive.o-2.2.5"

Surej's solution (renaming the driver) works also, I'm just completing the description of my *joyous* experience.

23 Jun 1999 13:22 merledarling

Trials and Tribulations
=) David, I know, the hex thing really sounds flaky at first. Skepticism is totally understandable.

The string that you edit is compared to your kernel version. If it matches, great! The driver loads. If it doesn't match it spits out that annoying message that we all know and love.

Unfortunately you have to re-edit the string each time you upgrade your kernel. On the upside, at least it's not terribly difficult.

Sorry about not mentioning the fact that I edited the install script. I tinkered with so many things trying to get the driver to work that the script slipped my mind. The hexediting was a final act of desperation, I was surprised when it actually worked.

For the people who are just tuning in, the easiest way to fix the script is to change the line that reads "V1=2.0.36" to reflect your kernel version.

Side note: The driver works fine for me. It only supports two speakers but I get sound with Quake2, Enlightenment's eSound and my mp3 players. Oh yeah, the CD player works too. Of course I'm still using 2.2.5-15, that might have something to do with it.