Projects / ren / Comments

Comments for ren

07 Jan 2009 18:34 kris22

Directories
ren renames normal files AND directories.

mmv renames only normal files.

19 Sep 2001 08:42 ed_avis

Re: What about good ol' mmv?

Of course I agree that in general it is better to improve existing programs rather than start new ones. If you want to time-travel back to the 1980s and explain this to the author, go right ahead...

Given that multiple programs do exist (for this task or for any other), it is best to have them all listed on Freshmeat. The alternative is to still have several half-finished projects, but without them being able to discover each other :-(.

(Actually in this case ren and mmv seem to be different versions of the same tool. If someone adds mmv to Freshmeat then the entry for ren can be replaced with a redirect to that project.)

18 Sep 2001 17:48 janic

ren
Interesting comments by another. I'm not enough into Unix to comment on the larger utilities issues. I had wanted to pass along Thanks for ren (or anything else like it). Also report that it seems to work fine under Cygwin. I'll ad it to my Mandrake set-up as well.

18 Sep 2001 08:52 mip

Re: What about good ol' mmv?

> I think that mmv is an
> enhanced version of ren... or the other
> way round... anyway, at least one of
> them is now listed on Freshmeat. If you
> want to add a project entry for mmv,
> that would be useful.

I didn't want to say something against "ren" - I only wanted to show the problem of dozens of similar programs.
Our community of programmers (and of course users) of free software should IMHO concentrate on improving existing software instead of writing new ones.
Freshmeat daily shows new examples for this - I wonder if the existing software isn't worth beeing really worked on to produce something that is 100%.
Are dozens of beta-quality programs better than one mature one?

18 Sep 2001 06:17 ed_avis

Re: What about good ol' mmv?
There is a FAQ somewhere that explains the difference between ren and mmv. That's how I originally found out about this program. I think that mmv is an enhanced version of ren... or the other way round... anyway, at least one of them is now listed on Freshmeat. If you want to add a project entry for mmv, that would be useful.

17 Sep 2001 21:09 pj7

Re: What about good ol' mmv?
Odd, the source to ren was posted to comp.sources.unix in 1988 by Vladimir Lanin, mmv is copyright 1989 by non other than Vladimir Lanin. To me it seems that mmv was an improvement to ren. But of course you knew this right?

17 Sep 2001 17:30 mip

What about good ol' mmv?
I wonder why there was a need to write such a tool from scratch.
The well-known mmv (Multiple Move) did a quite good job - why didn't the developer of ren try to improve mmv???

We need good tools - not thousands of quite-ok ones!!!