Projects / Pine / Comments

Comments for Pine

17 Nov 2007 14:23 hillhopper

Re: Like an email client

> After some searching for free text only

> clients that also featured linking to

> URLs, I found two worth using until I

> get Pine up and running. Phoenix, and

> Vivian.

> Vivian at

> http://www.deepsleep.de/e/vivianmail/

> and Phoenix at

> http://phxmail.sourceforge.net/

This is also of value; SMTPdiag,exe at:

17 Nov 2007 14:12 hillhopper

Like an email client
After some searching for free text only clients that also featured linking to URLs, I found two worth using until I get Pine up and running. Phoenix, and Vivian.

Vivian at http://www.deepsleep.de/e/vivianmail/

and Phoenix at

06 Dec 2002 13:13 Ullerup

Re: Quite Happy User

> I wrote "..._if_ you give Mutt a try you
> will never go back..." I simply stated a truth.

That's not a truth. That's an assumption. You're assuming that someone will like mutt enough to not go back to pine. I can speak from experience that not going back isn't always the case.

I tried mutt for two months but went back to pine. In my opinion, pine wins out over mutt in that it has a more refined user interface. The best example that I can think if is how pine handles displaying of the message index on the screen for different sized terminals. Pine will resize the columns such as sender name, message size, and message subject so that they take up the same percentage of width depending on the width of the terminal. With mutt, I had to set the width in characters for each one of these columns and it was fixed. Since I access my email server from many different computers all with differing terminal sizes, this forced me to enter numbers into the mutt config for a lowest common denominator (80x25). Although I normally use a terminal size of 132x55 on my home computer, all of my information was in the first 80 characters of each line. Had I set the config for my 132x55 screen, I wouldn't even be able to see the subject lines if I found myself on a 80x25 character console.

Another issue was that when I went to a folder list, or any list for that matter, it would just print out one item per line. When you have a lot of folders, that makes for a very long list. Pine is smart enough to list all the items out in multiple columns that fit on my screen, much like the ls command does.

It's little things like that which make the difference for me. Pine is much more polished and a lot of thought went into the interface. Mutt leaves me with the impression that it's just a quick hack. Although I've never had either program crash on me or cause me any problems, mutt's hackish presentation and nature left me with an uneasy feeling.

Honestly, I don't see any advantage of using mutt over pine save for the fact that mutt allows for easy rebinding of key commands and has maildir support. Mutt has nice threading, but pine has had similar threading via a patch (http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/info/fancy.html) for some time now. The main distribution has threading support in it now as well.

I've found that most of the people who have such a fervent liking for mutt have never used pine. They're usually elm refugees that haven't bothered to use another mail program and assume that all others from before mutt's time must be as simplistic as elm. However, I realize that different people like different tools. For you it may be mutt. For me, pine serves my needs better than any other option I have found.

04 Sep 2002 15:05 eldenf

Mac OS X 10.2?
Pine 4.44 seems to be broken under Mac OS X 10.2. Won't compile using Apple dev tools. (gcc 3.1)

28 Apr 2002 02:17 hurtta

Re: DOS newlines in attachments

> Pine has a very annoying feature-bug. Text files
> attached in Pine are converted to the DOS line
> endings. Pine converts the test back to UNIX
> style, but other mail clients don't.
> Why on earth should patches to UNIX
> programs (that no DOS user will ever need) be
> transferred as encoded files with DOS line endings?

I do not use Pine (I'm author of other mail client), but
that conversion is requirement of MIME. MIME says that
canonical encoing of text is CRLF endings of lines, so
base64 text data must have converted to CRLF ending
before encoding it if it is send as Text/* type. So what is that
"other mail clients" what you are refering ? (Assuming that
PINE labels attachment with type Text/...)

Basically almost all Internet standards use CRLF as line
ending for text data... :-)

24 Apr 2002 13:36 hrbrmstr

NTLM authentication in PINE
My employer has implemented a policy whereby only NTLM authentication is accepted by the MS Exchange Server IMAP Service.

Previous to this, I was using PINE directly against the IMAP xch service.

Now, I have to use fetchmail to periodically grab the mail and dump it locally and use PINE/IMAP on a local server to read mail via Unix.

I see the various files for alternative authentication schemes, but I was wondering if there is any sort of documentation regarding how one builds a pluggable one. I'd like to extract/mangle the fetchmail/NTLM code (which is extracted/mangled SAMBA code) and build a driver to support directly authenticating via NTLM in PINE w/o having to use fetchmail.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

13 Apr 2002 11:40 lth2h

Get rid of X-X-Sender?
I figured out how to change the From header but now how do I get rid of the X-X-Sender header?

08 Apr 2002 04:31 Tuttleek

Re: alan is right

> I agree with Alan. I also contacted the
> PINE guys to see if they could add
> support for a way to attach a whole slew
> of files at one time. I sometimes mail
> comic strips to my wife at work, up to
> seventy or so of them. To do a control
> + j SEVENTY times is not friendly to a
> user. Now, you can select a list option
> in Pine's address book which lets you
> choose multiple addies, so why not code
> a list mode into attachments?

Well, it seems, as of version 4.40, Pine still lacks this quite useful feature I would wish too. But you can do this for yourself, by using the -attachlist command line option, which must be the last one on the command line. After it you can add all files you want to send to your wife (Pine will jump directly into Compose mode).
In the case you prepared the files in the separate directory, the job is even easier than selecting one by one in the non-existing "multiple list" feature, e.g. pine wife -attachlist temp4wife/*

Smile,
Tuttle

23 Feb 2002 18:56 fredlwm

Re: Quite Happy User

> Did I said I did not respected their
> choice? Learn how to read. I wrote
> "..._if_ you give Mutt a try you
> will never go back..." I simply
> stated a truth.

Your "Blah" comment with "Get Mutt at (http://www.mutt.org/)"...

23 Feb 2002 11:02 unixman

Re: Quite Happy User

> So what ? From looking at your "Blah"
> post...
> Yes, I also use Mutt, but respect
> their choice.

Did I said I did not respected their choice? Learn how to read. I wrote "..._if_ you give Mutt a try you will never go back..." I simply stated a truth.

Peace.