Projects / PHP / Comments

Comments for PHP

08 Oct 2005 18:37 xurizaemon

Re: a cmdline PHP interpreter?

> Just use the php program as an interpreter! If you build from source, I think this gets installed into\ /usr/bin/php. (It's been a while since I did it.) On Debian, you need to get the php4-cgi program.

Now CLI for 'command-line', not CGI I believe. I have php4-cli installed on my host.

08 Oct 2005 18:33 xurizaemon

Re: More praise... But you deserve it!

> I've been told if I used PHP for large

> applications it will overload the

> server: that true?

With bad code, sure, you can overload your server. Any language will do fine.

> Praise is all very well but some

> indications of limitations would be

> helpful too

It's a good language. Performance depends on discrete factors that you haven't mentioned, like your OS and server hardware and requirements. I'd suggest either trying it out (the ultimate acid test) or googling for "language shootout". GIYF!

19 May 2005 01:33 contusion

PHP with Amaya
Is there a way of using PHP with Amaya.

16 May 2005 03:14 fersten

debugging PHP
If you use Quanta Plus as your PHP IDE you might want to learn how to debugg your PHP scripts with Quanta (http://www.very-clever.com/quanta-gubed-debugging.php).

24 Apr 2005 14:56 fersten

PHP
PHP is very easy to use. If you have some experience of C you won't have any problems to get started with PHP. Even HTML coders can start integrating PHP into their pages straight away. But maybe PHP is too simple. What do I mean by that? The simplicity of PHP means that almost anyone can write some scripts and as a result there is a lot of badly designed code out there. This gives PHP a bad name it does not deserve because it is a very powerful tool. PHP is designed for building web applications that are scalable up to a very large number of users. With PHP 5 many developers finally got the robust support for object oriented programming they where waiting for but also its XML and MySQL support was much improved. If you look for a good IDE for PHP check out Quanta Plus (http://freshmeat.net/projects/quantaplus/). There is much discussion about if PHP is "enterprise ready" - I truly believe it is since it reached version five. Tom (http://www.very-clever.com/)

08 Sep 2004 21:34 waclaw_podelski

ASP.NET vs PHP
Did anybody see comparison charts
Or maybe your impressions
actually i want to know speed of execution (what is faster)?
waclav @ z-tales.com

01 Jul 2004 05:27 AndrewCates

Re: More praise... But you deserve it!
Okay, we've got the message about it being brilliant but is this article balanced?
I've been told if I used PHP for large applications it will overload the server: that true?
Praise is all very well but some indications of limitations would be helpful too

BozMo (http://catesfamily.org.uk/)

13 Jun 2003 14:58 jrjohns3

Incredible Language
I have been coding in Ms code for work for quite a while and am so thankful that I can use php when I get home. I still don't understand how the best things in life can still be free.....

Thanks a ton for your efforts!!!

Jake Johnson
Jake @ plutoid.com (http://www.plutoid.com)

26 Mar 2002 00:11 bootswork

Re: a cmdline PHP interpreter?
Just use the php program as an interpreter! If you build from source, I think this gets installed into /usr/bin/php. (It's been a while since I did it.) On Debian, you need to get the php4-cgi program.

Then just pass the name of your script as the first argument, and the results of executing it will come onto stdout.

02 Mar 2002 21:38 qwasicomted

Thanks
I just want to say thanks for the wonderful language. This language is so great, I know other people have said this and it must become repetitive, but its deserved.

Thanks-Ted