Projects / OSS / Comments

Comments for OSS

02 Oct 2007 06:18 lewellyn

Re: Souncard drivers should be free.

> What makes you think there is just 3

> hour trial time? It was the situation 5

> years ago.

I just had to point out that I find it funny that you're saying that they're remarking on the state of affairs 5 years ago, when their comment was made 6 years ago... :)

04 Jul 2007 11:11 hsavolainen

Re: Souncard drivers should be free.

> "Free as in beer, but not free as

> in speech." Bah! Whatever. You

> don't have to pay for hardware drivers

> in Windows, so why should you have to

> pay for them in Linux? 3 hour trial.

> Wow. I might be able to listen to 2 CDs

> if I'm lucky. Even most Windows

> software comes with a 30 day trial.

What makes you think there is just 3 hour trial time? It was the situation 5 years ago. Currently the limit is 6 months if you use the binary version and there is no time limit if you compile OSS from the sources.

Also you have seriously misunderstood the "free" windows driver thing. The Windows drivers are not free. You will pay for them when you buy a sound card or motherboard. And you will pay for the Windows drivers even when you never use Windows yourself.

15 Sep 2005 16:55 salsadoom

Re: Souncard drivers should be free.

> Eh, well...you bought their soundcard

> didn't you? So, why shouldn't drivers

> for it be free?

Why does this need to be explained further? Pay attention: These drivers are not made by the hardware company they are independently developed and supported. You paid for the hardware card and just plain got ripped off on the drivers in all likelyhood.

These drivers are by far better then the kernel oss drivers and alsa, the sound quality is superior in orders of magnatude. Thats why you have to pay for them. Besides, that 2 hour trial is history now.

25 Jun 2004 15:27 f_m24

Re: Souncard drivers should be free.

> "Free as in beer, but not free as

> in speech." Bah! Whatever. You

> don't have to pay for hardware drivers

> in Windows, so why should you have to

> pay for them in Linux? 3 hour trial.

> Wow. I might be able to listen to 2 CDs

> if I'm lucky. Even most Windows

> software comes with a 30 day trial.

Hi,

what is your problem with the trial time ?-

"trial" means to try if it works and if it's what you expected

but it isn't the sense of a trial version to use it forever...

by that way - as far as i know the new OSS version can

be used in a unregistered mod - yes, without paying for a

license and without a time out...

this seems to be what you're looking for ;-)

07 Feb 2003 13:51 garphux

Re: Souncard drivers should be free.
Considering the high price of soundcards, I think that manufacturers should fund the development of support software for their products. And, frankly, $20 US is kind of steep for a driver. That's more than 10% of the price of a poorly implemented operating system. Now, I don't know about you, but I have a large number items that require drivers. I'm quite happy I don't have to shell out $20 for each one. You are correct in pointing out that we do not have a 'right' to OSS's software. It is thoroughly within their rights to charge what they want for their efforts. However, I am also not going to pay for the 'honor of using *nix, *doze, or OS*'. I use linux because it is inexpensive, powerful, reasonably stable, and flexible. If linux ever ceases being any of the above, I will switch to an OS that better answers my needs and desires.

23 Dec 2001 05:17 theIN

Why?
What do 'shareware' and 'free trial software' have to do with open source anyway?

26 Nov 2001 06:41 connyosis

Re: Souncard drivers should be free.
Eh, well...you bought their soundcard didn't you? So, why shouldn't drivers for it be free?

05 Nov 2001 22:16 diveguy

Re: Souncard drivers should be free.
I really hate to legitimize that last comment with a response, but I just cant resist. Your 'free' windows drivers are paid for by either Microsoft or the manufacturer of your sound card, they pay thier developers, that cost becomes part of the purchase price that you paid for the product. Therefore your 'free' windows drivers arent free. If the OSS developers decide to let you have some of thier work for free (real free this time), thats great, if they want to give you an evaluation period on the stuff that they dont want to give away for free, thats great too. If they dont want to give you more than a few hours with thier non-free stuff, that's thier right. Since you have not bought anything from them, they don't owe you anything.

02 Nov 2001 20:34 saturn82

Souncard drivers should be free.
"Free as in beer, but not free as in speech." Bah! Whatever. You don't have to pay for hardware drivers in Windows, so why should you have to pay for them in Linux? 3 hour trial. Wow. I might be able to listen to 2 CDs if I'm lucky. Even most Windows software comes with a 30 day trial.