Comments for OpenGroupware.org

16 Jun 2009 19:42 whitemice

To od8: "Is it possible to use opengroupware 1.1.7 in enterprise?"

Of course, that is the whole point of OGo. OGo is now being packaged on the Novell Build Service and v5.5 has just been branched - although the website does not reflect this.

Apparently one can't reply to freshmeat comments directly anymore?

12 Dec 2008 13:11 od8

no stable update of opengroupware ?
why where's no stable update of opengroupware ?

The alone stable version (v1.0) is very old !

Is it possible to use opengroupware 1.1.7 in enterprise ?

Thanks.

OD.

12 Jun 2008 10:28 bjdevlin

strongly recommended
I'd heard of OGO on and off for some years, but never looked at it seriously (I've been a Lotus Notes administrator then developer for over 10 years). However, since I started to look at it a month or so ago, I've come to realise that as groupware OGO offers very many of the features that Notes offers. For sure, OGO is not going to be as scalable as Notes (maybe SOGO is), but because OGO implements WebDAV, groupDAV and xml-rpc interfaces it is possible to develop your own application front-ends to the core API (just as you can in Notes).

What put me off OGO for a long time was the default interface shown in the screenshot linked above these comments. Well, first let me say, you can only get an idea of how cleverly implemented OGO is when you start to work with it. For example, the IMAP mail client implemented as a web app is the most fully-functional IMAP webmail client I've seen. There are large ISPs who offer an IMAP web-client that is positively stone-age compared to OGO's implementation.

To really get an idea of how good OGO is, you must install it and play around with it for at least a few hours. Then you will start to see how flexible it is and how well-integrated the various components are (mail, document-management, project-management, tasks, contacts, calendaring).

I would suggest starting by getting the InstantOGO cd image and installing it inside a virtual machine (VirtualBox worked best for me). In terms of reading to orient yourself as to what to expect, get the brief user manual: http://www.opengroupware.org/en/users/docs/manual/index.html . Finally, if you decide to install it for yourself, expect to spend far more time twiddling with Postfix/Cyrus getting them to work right than you will spend getting OGO to work. If that all sounds like too much work, then just buy a license for InstantOGO.

The people on the mailing list are very knowledgeable and very helpful. When I was struggling getting part of my install to work, one guy even produced a new set of packages to get me going. Clearly there is a lot of passion here - where else do you see such incredible support?

Finally, don't put off evaluating OGO just because you don't like the default web UI. Once you've got it up and running, each user you create can select one of several different skins, some of which are far more aesthetically appealing (well, to me anyway).

29 Oct 2007 23:41 crhpjeff

Re: demo site?

> Yes, the reason is that the software can

> deal with some

> thousand of users, but not with the

> hundreds of thousands

> which visit the site each month :-)

> For a quick evaluation of the software

> you might want to try the

> OGo Knoppix Live CD which should be

> available on the net.

Maybe you could have the software purge every hour like many demos?

15 Mar 2006 17:05 helge5

Re: demo site?
Yes, the reason is that the software can deal with some
thousand of users, but not with the hundreds of thousands
which visit the site each month :-)

For a quick evaluation of the software you might want to try the
OGo Knoppix Live CD which should be available on the net.

23 Jan 2006 15:09 MolecularBear

demo site?
Is there a reason why you don't have a demo site set up? This project looks like it could suit my needs, but I don't have way to really know without testing it out. And if testing it out means that I have to spend 30-60 minutes downloading/installing/configuring the software, then I'm going to pass on to a project that does have a demo site.

11 Jul 2003 09:17 helge5

Re: What is the relationship between this product and OpenGroupware.org?
The OpenGroupware.org CVS will be the main CVS
for SKYRIX developers. The upcoming SKYRiX 5
will be basically a maintained distribution of OGo, but also include some additional features, like a load balancer, Oracle and Sybase support, CTI integration.

Also check the about section on OGo:

11 Jul 2003 08:31 cduffy

What is the relationship between this product and OpenGroupware.org?
Per subject. Is SKYRiX doing further development only on their commercial product? Basing their commercial product off the open source one (a la Mozilla and Netscape)? Is this effectively a commercially supported version of OpenGroupware.org, are there additional benefits?

Inquiring minds want to know! :)