Projects / OpenAFS / Comments

RSS Comments for OpenAFS

01 Jul 2010 15:05 cigalator Thumbs down

I may have a look again some day but I can't hardly remember its good points! It's been a long time since 2002. I think that it is used in CERN right now

08 Oct 2008 22:55 edgester Thumbs up

Re: Welcome to the present

> While documentation is still OpenAFS'

> weakest point, this project has moved

> forward and is making great progress in

> addressing the outstanding issues.

As a contributor to the OpenAFS project, we welcome any and all feedback on it. I have personally added 28 new man pages to the documentation in the past two years. If you have any issues, please bring them up. Bugs go in the bug tracker and any questions can be answered by the helpful folks on the openafs-info mailing list. If you're confused or just lazy, contact me and I'll help you get to the right place.

06 Oct 2008 11:32 geekatcmu

Welcome to the present
While documentation is still OpenAFS' weakest point, this project has moved forward and is making great progress in addressing the outstanding issues.

22 Dec 2004 02:18 wwwingman

Re: openAFS documentation
I have recently dived into OpenAFS and found the documentation to be amazing. This is a very high quality IBM documentation. You're right, the CD stuff is not up to date, but this is a complexe peace of software, and avoiding the documentation of such software is simply impossible. It aims complexe and heavy environement and therefor cannot be reasonably used with just a RPM. If you have already installed AFS environements in the pas you'll find the documentation to be actually easy to use. I've never done AFS installation before and yet, after two weeks, I had a very nice 12 servers using heavily AFS. Even today, and since AFS is complexe (not OpenAFS, AFS in general), I sometimes read some pieces of this huge 1000+ pages which, again, I consider to be a high quality documentation. there is no doubt for me it is much more important for OpenAFS, today (12/2004), to make OpenAFS better, rather than update here and there to wrong folders or CD stuff indicated in the documentation. I think there are less than ten opensource documentation like this in the world and the IBM fingerprint is clearly there. Make a small effort and you''ll see the only problem is that you have to follow, read, and understand the first server installation, as indicated in the documentation.

30 Jul 2002 01:53 csnydermvpsoft

Re: openAFS documentation

> I've been studiing open AFS during a
> period of time and at last I have left
> it due to the bad documentation. There
> are several errors in the documentation.
> Beside of this issue the documentation
> referrs to the CD-ROM, but most part of
> the people will download the RPMs from
> the web page. There is no support for
> these people. The RPMs do some of the
> work specified in the installation guide
> but you just have to guess what is
> already done.
> The mailing list is also a bit caothic.

In my experience, the documentation was quite good - yes, it did assume you were installing from scratch using a CD, but that just means that you have to actually think, instead of just following instructions. Also, I had to make use of the mailing list once - I got a response back within an hour that solved my problem.

30 May 2002 22:22 cigalator Thumbs down

openAFS documentation
I've been studiing open AFS during a period of time and at last I have left it due to the bad documentation. There are several errors in the documentation. Beside of this issue the documentation referrs to the CD-ROM, but most part of the people will download the RPMs from the web page. There is no support for these people. The RPMs do some of the work specified in the installation guide but you just have to guess what is already done.

The mailing list is also a bit caothic.

check_tfl

A Nagios check for Transport For London services.

queXS

A Web based computer assisted telephone interviewing system.