Comments for nVidia XFree86/X.org Drivers

27 Jan 2004 15:09 lubeboy

New release? yeah.. sure...
AGP still doesn't work on my KT400 Via board... and the console is still just as unusable after leaving X.

I wonder if any fixes actually made it in.....

27 Jan 2004 14:48 trejkaz

Does Neverwinter Nights work again yet?
So does anybody know if they've fixed the problem with Neverwinter Nights that the previous driver had? There's no point me upgrading from 4496 until there is a version which actually works with the only OpenGL program I regularly run, and they have no recognisable message about this in the README...

... actually you know what's weird? I have 4496 installed right now, on kernel 2.6, and everything works fine.

22 Dec 2003 13:31 gvy

Re: linux kernel 2.6.x support?

> So, when will they release a driver
> update for the new 2.6.0 kernel?

Look at minion.de (http://minion.de) for the patches needed. In ALT Linux (http://freshmeat.net/projects/alt-linux/)'s 2.6.0 package set, that's integrated among other things.

22 Dec 2003 12:53 br0ke

Re: linux kernel 2.6.x support?

> So, when will they release a driver
> update for the new 2.6.0 kernel?
> It shouldn't be hard to do, just some
> interface changes (I supose..)

http://www.minion.de/ has patches to make various drivers work, I've had success with them so far...

22 Dec 2003 11:12 barrett9h

linux kernel 2.6.x support?
So, when will they release a driver update for the new 2.6.0 kernel?
It shouldn't be hard to do, just some interface changes (I supose..)

26 Apr 2003 06:23 slarty2

Re: Memory consumption

> The NVIDIA drivers seem to require a lot
> more memory
> than the (unaccelerated) XFree driver.
> Instead of
> 15-20 MB, X now uses about 220 MB RAM.

It's not true. The memory seems to be reported, but X isn't actually using this memory out of main RAM. It's the video card's RAM being mapped in. AFAIK, the entire video memory gets mapped in at least twice, hence the huge reported memory uage.

So it counts the video memory twice

02 Apr 2003 01:32 gvy

"tarballs still provided"?
If NVIDIA folks do read this, I'd like to note that placing statements like:

---
For the 1.0-4349 release, NVIDIA_kernel and NVIDIA_GLX
src.rpms and tarballs are still provided. However, these will not
be provided for future releases.
---

in ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-4349/README.txt is no good idea (then put it into announce?), but still better than the message itself.

Why it was decided that way? Since more sane redistribution policy was implemented, some distros began shipping the drivers thus letting users to have NVIDIA support out-of-box along with ATI support, and now you're breaking it.

And no, the world doesn't end with RH/SuSE/Mdk.

And yes, we could possibly cope with unpacking the .run, but why break what's working?

(the copy of this will go to linux-bugs@, though it's definitely not a "linux bug")

Thanks for decent drivers, albeit closed, but please take into account your co-operators on the driver delivery.

Michael Shigorin
ALT Linux Team

13 Feb 2003 10:34 CFERRER

NVIDIA GFORCE 4 GO 3D VIDEO DRIVERS
Does anybody have the NVIDIA GFORCE 4 GO 3D VIDEO FRIVERS FOR MANDRAKE 9.0 ???? PLease mail me if u have them to cferrer@racsa.co.cr or cristian_ferrer@hotmail.com , THANX !!!

01 Apr 2002 02:15 brank

Re: Dell Inspiron 8100 + NVidia GeForce2GO

> Has _anyone_ out there gotten this card
> to work with Mandrake 8.0 or Slack 8?
> ANYONE?
> If you have a clue - send me a note -
> DrBlackfeld@boundariez.com.

I have it working on Slack 8 on various kernels (2.4.18-ac3 now). I just rpm --rebuild --nodeps the two srpms. All the info you need is in the readme.

FWIW, there's a thread about Mandrake 8.2 on Nvidia's site here (http://www.nvnews.net/forum/showthread.php?s=c1e42424ca15f02243b8d56400d3fba5&threadid=12687).

27 Nov 2001 05:48 DrBlack

Dell Inspiron 8100 + NVidia GeForce2GO
Has _anyone_ out there gotten this card to work with Mandrake 8.0 or Slack 8? ANYONE?

If you have a clue - send me a note - DrBlackfeld@boundariez.com.