Projects / nut / Comments

RSS Comments for nut

27 Sep 2005 20:31 Avatar jozwiak

Re: merging databases

> I would like to be able to collect meal.db

> files from various installations and

> merge them. Is there a convenient way

> to do that?

If you simply concatenated all the files, keeping the meals in order lifo, NUT wouldn't know the difference; however, there is no sort in the function that picks up meal.db so it wouldn't work if the order wasn't right. There is an additional requirement that the different food.db's have to be identical--if they are not, you have to erase food.db in order for the indexes to be remade. Also, the food names are just keys in meal.db, so that even if you added the same recipe on different installations, it would probably not map to the same food, and indeed, if the food was missing, the meal food would be silently dropped. I have thought about this but never found a solution I liked because all these impediments to making it work are actually what gives NUT its performance so the program can start up instantly even with several years' worth of meals. On my trips to the GF's house, I just wrote everything down on paper...

27 Sep 2005 18:47 gymclean

merging databases
Thanks, Jim, for the great software. I am finding myself wanting to record meals on installations other than my home machine (e.g. on my laptop while traveling, on my girlfriend's computer when I'm at her place, and so on.) I would like to be able to collect meal.db files from various installations and merge them. Is there a convenient way to do that?

17 Sep 2005 17:38 Avatar jozwiak

Re: Great program!
Thank you so much for your kind words. You are using NUT the way I do in order to "debug" your diet and subjective sense of well-being.

Jim

> I just wanted to thank Jim for this

> great piece of software. I have used nut

> for a couple of years now.

> The easy way I can visualize the main

> nutrients in foods in one screen, backed

> with the USDA food database, has helped

> me change the way I eat.

> Thank you.

17 Sep 2005 17:10 vasc

Great program!
I just wanted to thank Jim for this great piece of software. I have used nut for a couple of years now.

The easy way I can visualize the main nutrients in foods in one screen, backed with the USDA food database, has helped me change the way I eat.

The sad truth is, we just do not know what we are eating and what we need. It took me some short term food deprivation and careful use of supplements before I could better understand the signals my body was giving me.

Guided with this information and nut, I managed to lose 20 kg and have since stabilized my weight at the ideal level, while actually increasing my intake of essential nutrients.

It also made me reconsider consuming several foods I had foolishly discarded as a kid to never try again. For example, it turns out I actually like ripe red tomatoes, rich in Vitamin A and C, and I had been stupidly avoiding them for some silly reason I cannot even remember anymore.

I used to have very dry flaky skin, and something resembling body acne, which has subsided since I decreased sodium, and increased my Vitamin A and C intake. I am still in the process of improving my diet, but the positive results speak for themselves.

Thank you.

27 Jan 2005 07:33 Avatar jozwiak

Re: Twilight Zone

> Sorry for the extensive comment, just

> wanted to give an example.

I enjoyed your comments and welcome you to run NUT if you wish.

Jim

27 Jan 2005 05:18 understudy

Re: Twilight Zone

> % Consider, if you will, the

> correlation

> % of a person's concern for

> % nutrition and that person's proximity

> to

> % obesity.... It's not

> % the food, Gomer.

> %

> NUT was not written primarily to address

> weight control, although it is my

> opinion that an understanding of one's

> personal nutrition goes a lot further

> than "will power" to achieve long-term

> calorie balance.

> Jim Jozwiak

I am not familiar with the NUT program, however, I do wish to comment on the "correlation" between nutrition and food.

Actually it is the food, nutrition values of organic food are far superior to those of the standard supermarket purchase. "We are what we eat."

The fact or Untold Truth is: growth hormones given to the cows, chicken etc. end up on the (human) food table. Genetically modified grains that are fed to the animals end up on the human food table, hormones sprayed on the fruits and vegetables end up on the food table. GM (genetically modified) grain goes into all NON-organic breads, pasta, cereal, etc. Now add to that the growth hormones (and huge amounts of anti-biotics) that are then given to the livestock, humans get a double whammy.

This is just one aspect of "Running on Empty."

I have been studying the probable links between food/nutrition and illnesses. Along with that the functioning or poor functioning of the glandular system. I have modified my diet so far as to accomodate my current lifestyle: regular yogurt daily, one to three meals per week containing red meat, definately no (junk) snack foods, decreased coffee consumption and replaced with green tea, purchase organic foods when available and most importantly greatly decreased the use of sugar.

These simple modifications have allowed me to drop 8 pounds.

Sorry for the extensive comment, just wanted to give an example.

27 Oct 2004 09:57 Avatar jozwiak

Re: nut plans

> Jim, are there any plans, or has anyone

> already developed a web front end to

> this in php or cgi?

I am not planning it, nor am I aware that anyone has done it.

Jim

27 Oct 2004 08:10 Nick111

nut plans
Jim, are there any plans, or has anyone already developed a web front end to this in php or cgi?

29 Aug 2004 10:21 Avatar jozwiak

Re: Twilight Zone

> Consider, if you will, the correlation

> of a person's concern for

> nutrition and that person's proximity to

> obesity.... It's not

> the food, Gomer.

NUT was not written primarily to address weight control, although it is my opinion that an understanding of one's personal nutrition goes a lot further than "will power" to achieve long-term calorie balance.

Jim Jozwiak

29 Aug 2004 06:50 goosequill

Twilight Zone
Consider, if you will, the correlation of a person's concern for

nutrition and that person's proximity to obesity.... It's not

the food, Gomer.

x0

An HTTP Web server and framework.

PHP Mini SQL Admin

A standalone script for accessing MySQL databases.