Projects / Netio / Comments

Comments for Netio

25 Aug 2009 20:39 santanaa

Nice, thanks for putting in the public domain. I have some issues with the results though. Perhaps you can explain. I see rather large difference in numbers reported by netio and ftp. specifically

NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.26
(C) 1997-2005 Kai Uwe Rommel

TCP connection established.
Packet size 1k bytes: 1134 KByte/s Tx, 894 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size 2k bytes: 1765 KByte/s Tx, 593 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size 4k bytes: 344 KByte/s Tx, 101 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size 8k bytes: 169 KByte/s Tx, 285 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size 16k bytes: 708 KByte/s Tx, 134 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size 32k bytes: 250 KByte/s Tx, 123 KByte/s Rx.
Done.

ftp> get BusinessJet.cgns
local: BusinessJet.cgns remote: BusinessJet.cgns
200 PORT command successful
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for BusinessJet.cgns (42827776 bytes)
226 Transfer complete
42827776 bytes received in 20.86 secs (2004.8 kB/s)
ftp> put BusinessJet.cgns
local: BusinessJet.cgns remote: BusinessJet.cgns
200 PORT command successful
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for BusinessJet.cgns
226 Transfer complete
42827776 bytes sent in 16.59 secs (2521.3 kB/s)

I think these should be about the same. Am I missing anything?

05 Mar 2009 22:47 bugmenot

Thanks, does precisely what I was looking for!
Thanks for this very useful utility, it is precisely what I was

looking for. It compiled without any problems on my Apple

PPC PowerBook (OS X 10.4.11) with "make macosx".

My first speed test resulted in 94Mbps between my macmini

and my powerbook. These were connected over cat5e cable

and a gigabit router. With the 100Mbps ethernet ports on

both the macmini and the powerbook that makes perfect

sense.

The main reason for me being interested in NETIO is to test

a pair of Netgear XE104 Powerline 4-Port Ethernet Adapters

that will be arriving in in a few days.

06 Sep 2005 06:13 xyzzy288

Great Util
This is a great little utility, and thanks for precompiling for all the platforms (located in the /bin dir in the zipfile)

thx :)

monte

08 Jul 2003 07:51 ed_avis

Re: Lame webpage
Perhaps if you gave some idea of what exactly you couldn't get working and what you did, people would be able to help.

FWIW - netio is not open source, it is for non-commercial use only. Unfortunately.

08 Jul 2003 07:10 robertj

Re: Lame webpage
On the other hand, what is the point of an open source project if I can't make it work??? I agree, we should all be grateful to everyone that contributes to open source projects, and believe me, I am, but PLEASE try to make your projects as easy to get working as possible. I can't contribute to your project if I'm not smart enough to make it work.

18 Jan 2002 11:13 abadd0n

Re: Lame webpage

> Why do people not package everything to
> download a package to compile? You have
> to download each and every file. Wake
> up. Rewrite your page, put a tar.gz on
> it, and try again.

<rant>
i agree that would be nice, but then you're not exactly paying for this now are you, are you so ungracious with all the things you are given, im not in any way associated with his project but as someone that has run an opensource and free software project of some size i know its annoying to hear comments like the one you just made...just try to remember that they dont owe you anything and are doing you a favor when they make a project free...he could have just not made it available at all...
</rant>

07 Oct 2001 16:16 jharr

More Fetures?
I love the idea of a program. Where I work we use a program called Qcheck, and it will basically check the ping times and transfer rates over tcp and udp. I would just use the normal ping, but that does an icmp ping, not tcp & udp (the useful ones).

If you could add udp, ping times, and upload/download rate checks, that would be awesome.

Tell me what you think,
James

02 Oct 2001 11:11 ed_avis

Building
To compile under Linux, use the command:

make all CC=gcc O=.o CFLAGS='-DUNIX -O2' OUT=-o

01 Oct 2001 11:12 ed_avis

Re: Lame webpage

> Rewrite your page, put a tar.gz on
> it, and try again.

The source code is distributed as a zipfile, which you can see in the listing above if you bother to look. The browsing through individual files is just an added extra; I included it to fill the gap because Freshmeat wouldn't let me submit the project leaving the Homepage entry blank.

01 Oct 2001 10:33 mayday6971

Lame webpage
Why do people not package everything to download a package to compile? You have to download each and every file. Wake up. Rewrite your page, put a tar.gz on it, and try again.