Comments for Linux Napster Client

16 May 2001 01:41 selinger

Re: filesharing does not work in 1.4.4-ps9?!
You can be 99 percent sure that this is because of Napster, Inc's censorship, not because of a problem with the nap client. To be 100 percent sure, either use "-odebug=2" to see what nap sends to the server, or try an OpenNap server (www.napigator.com).

08 May 2001 09:28 gitarrenhaendler

filesharing does not work in 1.4.4-ps9?!
i just installed the 1.4.4-ps9 debian-package ... nice new features, but filesharing seems to be broken ... i set up the config-file correctly and the library-file also contains my shared files ... thanks for any comments.

22 Apr 2001 05:59 selinger

Re: great client but could use some work

> firstly it seems to be written
> exclusively for linux, i thought the
> idea behind open source was portability?
> it failed to compile on my fbsd machine
> so i had to use fbsd's excellent linux
> emu to run the linux binary, temporary
> fix i hope.

Nap currently compiles out-of-the-box on Linux and OpenBSD, but there's no reason it could not be ported (with little work) to other OS's. The reason it hasn't been done for fbsd is that nobody has offered to do it. Open source makes porting possible, but someone still has to do the work. If you can send me patches (preferably with autoconf tests) to make it run on fbsd, I'll be happy to incorporate them in a future release.

There is a more serious problem with porting nap to big-endian machines; I have been working on making the code independent of endianness, but this is only half done.

> also i can't seem to figure out how to

> kill transfers that have started, maybe

> i need to look through the documentation

> some more.

/ddown for downloads, and /dup for uploads. For some reason, /dup refuses to cancel an upload that is already going on; but I fixed that in 1.4.4-ps9 (to be released soon).

19 Apr 2001 22:44 cynikal

great client but could use some work

i've searched and searched for a napster client that could share mp3's instead of just leech them.. and then i finally found this one by accident on freshmeat. freshmeat is where i always search for programs, but nap didn't come up in my search, instead it caught the corner of my eye in a headline instead :)

anyway, this client is really well done but i still have some qualms about it..

firstly it seems to be written exclusively for linux, i thought the idea behind open source was portability? it failed to compile on my fbsd machine so i had to use fbsd's excellent linux emu to run the linux binary, temporary fix i hope.

also i can't seem to figure out how to kill transfers that have started, maybe i need to look through the documentation some more.

other that it's a top-quality client and i can definately recommend it.

09 Dec 2000 19:16 lintux

Fanmail
Just feel like saying this program is the best napster client I have ever seen. Long live the console!!!

Let's hope the developments will continue, although it's quite a usable program already there are some Segmentation Faults around... :(

28 Aug 2000 13:09 marpun

best client
Of all the Napster clients for Linux; this is my favourite. Why? Well, it's been out the longest and therefor has had much time to develop. It's a console thing, so it doesn't need GTK or some bullsh*t like that. At the time I'm writing this comment; there is a higher version number than 1.4. It's developing rapidly. They just don't update their info as often as a new client is out.

13 Aug 2000 10:37 cyberdemo

source code released
i hope you've noticed that the author (Kevin Sullivan) has released the source code of his program. Thanks Kevin!

31 Jul 2000 12:14 joebob

binary i386 version only
I was very impressed with this little proggy and was downloading mp3s in seconds. However, my intent in getting a command line based nap client was to put it on my shell account which runs on MIPS-Redhat. This release is provides binaries only -- I'd like to see versions compiled for a wider range of systems or a source release for user compiling.

10 Dec 1999 16:27 cypherpunks

Re: subtle change
While the ip appears to be hardcoded, I did run across the following information: server.napster.com does point to
208.184.216.223. However a quick search of the strings in
nap8 shows that this name is not known to the client. Anyways all is normal except that the client uses ip's instead of name lookup.

07 Dec 1999 23:56 cypherpunks

subtle change
v6 and v7 query 208.178.163.58 which is napster.com (and vice versa).

v8 queries 208.184.216.223 which refuses reverse name lookups.

It works, but a closed source program that queries a secretive server seemingly unaffiliated with napster seems a bit off to me. I've been stracing it for a long time, and no terribly suspcious activity by it so far. That server went down and napster population decreased dramatically, so it is likely (but unconfirmed) that the v8 server is the windows server as well.