Projects / LimeWire / Comments

Comments for LimeWire

10 Aug 2008 13:18 akorx

Bad search?
In this review http://releasenotes.org/limewire (http://releasenotes.org/limewire) I read:

The developers of LimeWire claim that their software has no ads or any other undesirable content in it. Despite that, there are quite a lot of ads and files with fake names. File names in search results may contain URLs of some sites so pay special attention to what you are downloading.

Is it true? Thanks

15 Feb 2004 08:00 hackel

Re: Stability? Not that I can see

> I strongly disagree with earlier posts
> that LimeWire has good stability. I'm
> using a stock Redhat 7 install and
> LimeWire (or perhaps rather the JRE that
> LimeWire requires) has hard-crashed my
> machine twice in the last three days. I
> will no longer run this app unattended,
> and will probably uninstall it if I can
> find a decent curses-based client.

Hmm, perhaps you should try not using a distribution that's nearly 3 and a half years old!!!

23 Jun 2003 15:13 afisk

Re: Trojan horse
Wow. There's a lot of misinformation flying around here. There were about 4 days a year ago where LimeWire and almost every other major file sharing application (Kazaa, Grokster, BearShare, etc) were all mistakenly including a desktop shortcut to a program called DLDER.exe that would, in fact, collect information about users for some small company in the midwest. This occurred because each of these companies was partnering with Cydoor, which misled everyone as to the nature of the software. As soon as we found this out, we removed it, and we have not done any business with Cydoor for about 8 months. So, we're talking about a 4 day issue from long ago that was addressed as soon as it was discovered.

07 Apr 2003 14:00 mojotooth

Stability? Not that I can see
I strongly disagree with earlier posts that LimeWire has good stability. I'm using a stock Redhat 7 install and LimeWire (or perhaps rather the JRE that LimeWire requires) has hard-crashed my machine twice in the last three days. I will no longer run this app unattended, and will probably uninstall it if I can find a decent curses-based client.

03 Apr 2003 18:25 doveclaw

Limewire
Like most of the Gnutella clients these days,
Limewire lacks a very large amount of basic
features. To cover up these holes they choose to
implement a host of "flashy" features that, without
a solid platform, become no more then buzzwards.
Upload throttling? Barely, lowest setting on DSL
takes up
half the bandwidth available to the connection and
thats without including network overheard!
Swarming downloads, multiple searches, quality
control, queues.. It doesn't matter without the
freedom to modify the client to your connection
your either going to end up starved of bandwidth
or unsuccessful in your searches. We should all
share, but its not worth it if you can't benefit
yourself. Check out GTK-Gnutella, haven't gone
back since.. supports bandwidth shaping, swarming
downloads, queues, etc, etc..

16 Jan 2002 07:13 fellermayr

Trojan horse
Yeah, and since v2, Limewire contains a trojan horse which collects information about the URLs you have visited with your browser.
I do /not/ think this is a real good idea, so I wont install LimeWire on my fresh installed systems anymore.
Probably, only the WinSUXX version of Lime is affected by this. Dont know.

Leo.

03 Aug 2001 09:44 AirborneFLEA

Stability vs. Ram-Usage
This Applications succeeds in stability, and is somewhat speedy. But where it gains in stability, it lacks in ram-usage.

A reliable, good looking not too slow Gnutella client.