Projects / Jreepad / Comments

Comments for Jreepad

19 May 2004 07:36 fyngyrz

Re: Doesn't work - no instructions
Ok, that was it. Thank you very much. The old java was in the path, and the new java hadn't been added to the path at all. I renamed the old java and added path to the new java, and the software is running now.

Since I have your attention... :)

For the record, in RedHat 9 Linux, copy and paste do work, but only with ctrl-c/ctrl-v; ctrl-a does not select all but instead navigates to the root of the tree. There are no entries in the edit menu for any editing functions at all.

For the moment, what will stop me from using this over the Linux version of Treepad Lite is the lack of font control; I need non-proportional fonts (for program listings) and just can't live without them - and the default font is too small for comfortable reading on my display.

I'll watch here for a version that can select fonts.

Suggestion: Add a readme that tells "how to run" this, that the jar "is" the program and doesn't need to be unpacked (that was one of the paths I wandered down while trying to figure this out.) Also, since the new install of Java (mine is about three days old) doesn't properly set paths, you might want to mention that in the "Linux" section of the readme.

Nice job - this is a very capable implementation of Treepad's capabilities.

--Ben

19 May 2004 01:57 danstowell

Re: Doesn't work - no instructions

Actually, this link might be more directly heplful to you:

19 May 2004 01:50 danstowell

Re: Error using "java -jar"

I'm by no means a Linux expert (er... or even a Linux user) but if java gives the error "Warning: -jar not understood. Ignoring" then that signifies that the version of Java that's running is too old to understand what to do with JAR files.

This could be because your version of Java is very old, but if you *do* already have a recent version of Java runtime installed (1.4 or later required for Jreepad) then the error could be because your command-line is mistakenly using an older Java installation because your Java classpath hasn't been updated correctly.

I don't know the wisest way to fix that on Redhat, but the following page might help: http://www.halley.cc/ed/linux/howto/java.html (http://www.halley.cc/ed/linux/howto/java.html) - especially the bit about using "export" to set a couple of variables.

HTH

Dan

18 May 2004 17:39 fyngyrz

Re: Doesn't work - no instructions

> %

> % Has anyone actually made this work?

> HOW

> % do you make it work? Sounds

> fascinating,

> % but... :)

> %

> I have gotten it to work. You just need

> to run 'java -jar '. If this is

> producing errors, what are the errors?

> There is no need to make the jar file

> executable.

> The program itself is a little awkward,

> but simple enough once you get the hang

> of it.

Thanks for the reply.

Here's what happens when I run it:

[root@localhost jpad]# java -jar Jreepad-1.0.jar

Warning: -jar not understood. Ignoring.

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Jreepad-1.0.jar

at 0x40268e17: java.lang.Throwable.Throwable(java.lang.String) (/usr/lib/./libgcj.so.3)

at 0x4025bc8e: java.lang.Error.Error(java.lang.String) (/usr/lib/./libgcj.so.3)

at 0x4025d6b6: java.lang.LinkageError.LinkageError(java.lang.String) (/usr/lib/./libgcj.so.3)

at 0x4025eb36: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError.NoClassDefFoundError(java.lang.String) (/usr/lib/./libgcj.so.3)

at 0x402ad075: gnu.gcj.runtime.FirstThread.run() (/usr/lib/./libgcj.so.3)

at 0x4024fc4c: _Jv_ThreadRun(java.lang.Thread) (/usr/lib/./libgcj.so.3)

at 0x4021c8ac: _Jv_RunMain(java.lang.Class, byte const, int, byte const, boolean) (/usr/lib/./libgcj.so.3)

at 0x08048910: ?? (??:0)

at 0x42015504: __libc_start_main (/lib/tls/libc.so.6)

at 0x080486c1: ?? (??:0)

It's all a mystery to me. Java seems to be installed - I can go to Yahoo and run the popcap games, which are Java games. They work fine. My photography forum uses Java to run the forum; that works too (in Firefox.)

--Ben

18 May 2004 13:50 davisn

Re: Doesn't work - no instructions

> Has anyone actually made this work? HOW

> do you make it work? Sounds fascinating,

> but... :)

I have gotten it to work. You just need to run 'java -jar '. If this is producing errors, what are the errors? There is no need to make the jar file executable.

The program itself is a little awkward, but simple enough once you get the hang of it.

18 May 2004 10:29 fyngyrz

Doesn't work - no instructions
I downloaded the .JAR file. Made it executable. There are no instructions, and I know -0- about java, so...

making it executable doesn't do anything. JAVA -jar filename comes up with errors.

Has anyone actually made this work? HOW do you make it work? Sounds fascinating, but... :)