Projects / JFtp / Comments

Comments for JFtp

04 Jun 2005 20:21 contusion

Re: Red Hat Linux v.9

> Well, there's no need to worry about not

> monitoring what is posted here. I have

> not been able to do so as much myself,

> as I have been very busy. However, I do

> monitor the project's SourceForge page,

> as it is where bug reports, feature

> requests, and other forum posts tend to

> be posted. I'll still monitor this page

> though, and I have been making an effort

> to check back here for other posts.

> I also find it quite unfortunate that

> the Java Runtime Environment is not

> installed by default on a number of

> operating systems. As far as I know,

> Linux distributions do not tend to have

> it included by default and I don't

> believe that any of the *BSD operating

> systems include it either. But it is

> freely

> available and hopefully more people will

> find that a JRE is worth having, as

> there is some good free software

> available that uses it.

> I must say that it is good to hear that

> you like the way that JFtp allows you to

> be able transfer files using a number of

> different protocols. We like to

> think that if you need a file

> transferred, you can do it with this

> application. While some protocols are

> not quite supported yet (WebDAV support

> is still being developed) we hope you'll

> find that you can

> transfer files in just about every way

> you could want. And it's definitely good

> to hear that you like the interface, as

> I have been finding that it could

> use a little work. We will continue to

> add features and find ways to improve

> JFtp, and so your feedback is highly

> appreciated.

> Thanks,

> J.K.

JRE is not included because there is no GPLed JRE present anywhere. But thanks to apache foundation. Apache is trying to build an GPLed implementation of JRE from scratch.

25 May 2004 20:44 jkasprzak

Re: Red Hat Linux v.9
Well, there's no need to worry about not monitoring what is posted here. I have not been able to do so as much myself, as I have been very busy. However, I do monitor the project's SourceForge page, as it is where bug reports, feature requests, and other forum posts tend to be posted. I'll still monitor this page though, and I have been making an effort to check back here for other posts.

I also find it quite unfortunate that the Java Runtime Environment is not installed by default on a number of operating systems. As far as I know, Linux distributions do not tend to have it included by default and I don't believe that any of the *BSD operating systems include it either. But it is freely
available and hopefully more people will find that a JRE is worth having, as there is some good free software available that uses it.

I must say that it is good to hear that you like the way that JFtp allows you to be able transfer files using a number of different protocols. We like to
think that if you need a file transferred, you can do it with this application. While some protocols are not quite supported yet (WebDAV support is still being developed) we hope you'll find that you can
transfer files in just about every way you could want. And it's definitely good to hear that you like the interface, as I have been finding that it could
use a little work. We will continue to add features and find ways to improve JFtp, and so your feedback is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

J.K.

19 May 2004 08:17 kyloe

Re: Red Hat Linux v.9

> Anyway, I'm just wondering why Red Hat

> Linux was mentioned in the subject line,

> but not anywhere else. Is it related to

> your comments about Java? Just

> wondering.

The heading was used more for a guide with new users looking for software on systems such as Red Hat Linux, to catch the eye or such.

Java is platform independant so such is JFTP. However, I believe it should be noted that a vast majority of users are not aware of such things. In my opinion, Java is grosely unutilised and under advertised but only under MY personal computing experiences.

You are right, Jake, about publicity and advertising and, in my opinion again, this is a real world turn back with the lack of support by major OS Producers including Microsoft with their left wheel turn on Java and anything else that isn't Microsoft. But as far as I know Linux distributions have always been without a usable Java Runtime Environment as a default installation, as for other OS distros I by far cannot speak without insight.

I hope this changes!

What I like about JFTP is the programs ability to transfer files within a selective menu of Protocols with its ease of use at a friendly uncluttered interface. With its auto update feature the JFTP program also brings confidence to the end user.

As for opinons and feedback I believe some good points were covered in the posts below such as SSH Outbound, Faviourites place of storage within the GUI and such.

Good work can be rewarded in many ways. I hope you are succesful in yours to others.

Apologies for the lack of monitoring this post.

12 May 2004 21:32 jkasprzak

Re: Wow
Well, it looks like I should check this web page more often. We would usually have these kinds of discussions on the page hosted on SourceForge, which can be found here. (http://sourceforge.net/projects/j-ftp)

Anyway, if I understand you correctly, what you would like is to have added to this application is the ability to be able to connect to server by SSH without having to connect to an FTP service. We actually are considering adding a feature where a user can open an SSH shell connection. It's there in the TODO file, which can be read if you click on the "What's next?" option in the menu. If that is what you want, you might get it soon enough.

Any other feature requests that you may have may be posted to our SourceForge page, as that's the one we check most often. Something that you might find is that features that are requested are often added before long. But there are a few that take time, and we will keep working on those ones. But some won't take as long. A request for an improvement to the API was added within about two weeks, as you may see in version 1.43.

Anyway, if you think that we have done very well, we'd appreciate it if you could recommend this to other people. And we're also looking for donations of money, which I understand will mostly go toward advertising. And a percentage of it will go to SourceForge, and I think some will go to the Apache Software Foundation. We would like any publicity we can get, whether it is free or not.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments, and I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.

J.K.

31 Mar 2004 11:37 idfubar

Re: Wow
Jake,

The thing I like most about the project is that it allows me to use FTP services from anywhere with a full-featured client, requiring nothing more than a JRE. I'm terribly distraught that MS doesn't include a usable JRE by default, but hopefully this will change in the future.

My only suggestion for improving jFTP would be to make the software more like SSH Secure Shell, e.g. allow SSH login to machines and require only outbound connections on port 22. This would allow a user to conduct file transfer without an explicit FTP service running on the server, and would allow a user to download/upload files so long as the user has the right permissions on the server (e.g. no firewall holes or port forwarding required.) That said, I suppose such an addition would be appropriate for another software project (e.g. jSSH) rather than for extension as part of jFTP.

In any case, keep up the good work!

12 Mar 2004 18:58 jkasprzak

Re: Red Hat Linux v.9
Hello. It certainly is good to hear that JFtp has something that you consider reliable newtork software, but we'll continue to look for ways to improve on it. It is good to know that this is something you've been looking for, as coming up with this kind of software has been our goal.

Anyway, I'm just wondering why Red Hat Linux was mentioned in the subject line, but not anywhere else. Is it related to your comments about Java? Just wondering.

> Java is more than an aquired taste, but
> JFTP is a means to an end of an arduous
> search for reliable network software
> available to anyone.
> With programs like JFTP the future for
> Java is pertained.

12 Mar 2004 18:53 jkasprzak

Re: Wow
As one of this project's developers, I have seen this comment here for some time, but just did not know what to say. I never thought of it as something that is actually that good, but if you like it that much, then I won't argue with you. We try to come up with something that people would like to have, and are we're always looking for ways to improve on this project. Is there anything in particular about this project that you like? And can you think of any ways we can make improvements? I'd like to hear your answers to those questions.

> Perhaps the single coolest thing I've
> seen since the x8086 - too bad java web
> start isn't installed by default on more
> machines =(

11 Mar 2004 02:44 kyloe

Red Hat Linux v.9
Java is more than an aquired taste, but JFTP is a means to an end of an arduous search for reliable network software available to anyone.
With programs like JFTP the future for Java is pertained.

09 Jan 2004 14:17 idfubar

Wow
Perhaps the single coolest thing I've seen since the x8086 - too bad java web start isn't installed by default on more machines =(