Projects / jEdit / Comments

Comments for jEdit

09 Sep 2003 21:07 spestov

Re: Still no Emacs bindings?
Well why don't you contribute some emacs bindings then?

> I can't strongly second the desire for
> Emacs key bindings enough. After 20
> years of Emacs my fingers can't speak
> anything else. I keep checking back with
> the JEdit site every six months or so
> but I'm loosing hope. :-(

11 Aug 2003 07:23 fubarpa

Best Editor yet!
I've used a few editors in Linux (and Windows), including Eclipse, Ultraedit32 and Kate, but I have found the editor I've been looking for. Don't let the screencaps fool you, there is a lot more functionality thanks to the numerous plugins. Great app!

11 Jul 2003 17:30 glippert

Re: Still no Emacs bindings?
I can't strongly second the desire for Emacs key bindings enough. After 20 years of Emacs my fingers can't speak anything else. I keep checking back with the JEdit site every six months or so but I'm loosing hope. :-(

29 Nov 2002 02:19 Goldammer

Brilliant piece of FREE software
jEdit is just amazing. The intelligence and elegance of the design is admirable! For the novice it looks very interesting, but after installation of some basic plugins and adjustment of docking and the like it becomes a brilliant. Me and a lot of collegues switched to jEdit for most of our development tasks. Platform independence (I have jEdit even installed on my key fob USB memory stick!) makes jEdit the winner. For large multi MB files I still use others, but I rarely "edit" such monsters. Some really good platform INdependent monospaced fonts is the only add on I currently wish to have...

30 Mar 2002 14:16 ericm

Re: Beautiful editor. Ugly memory requirements.

> JEdit is an excellent editor. The
> functionality is top-notch and the
> interface is slick. The only problem is
> its appetite for memory, which is
> probably a Java issue. I personally
> cannot afford 25 megs for a text editor.
> I hope the authors will find a way
> around this issue, as the editor shows a
> great deal of promise and would provide
> an ideal cross-platform solution for
> those of us who must edit on both *NIX
> and Win platforms.

Agreed. This is the only thing keeping me from moving to it. If it was a fixed 25meg overhead, I could probably live with it, but a few plugins easily double that. It also uses at least 3 times the size of the file being edited making it not a good editor for handling multi-megabyte files. Leaks aren't good either.

But the functionality is just amazing!

01 Mar 2002 10:26 bpatters7

JEdit is fabulous
Being a contractor I need an editor that does it all, runs on all platforms, can be installed quickly/easily, is preferably open source and is above all powerful.

JEdit is IMHO the best of all these. No other editor even comes close when taking into account these criteria. I used emacs for many years. Its great but hard to master. JEdit has features that I never found in emacs like recursive dir search/replace. And its very simple for a novice to pick up. The plugin manager should be the model for all other editors.

At my two recent customer sites all the developers have converted to using JEdit.

This is open source at its best.

01 Jan 2002 13:24 wrongway

25Megs
While I agree 25 megs might be alot for a simple text editor. This is no simple text editor. The features are numerous, and it since its java (not my language of choice) it runs everywhere. winblows linux mac sun etc etc etc...

If your a programmer looking for the perfect editor get this with the whitespace module.. and your all set....

20 Dec 2001 11:56 blizzy

Re: Still no Emacs bindings?

> Emacs-like bindings
> [..]
> Unfortunately, we are up
> to 3.x now and there is still no sign of
> them. Any idea when they might arrive?

Recently he mentioned they will be there in 4.0final. (We're at 4.0pre2 at the time of this writing, with 4.0pre3 currently under development.)

11 Feb 2001 18:01 jetson123

Still no Emacs bindings?
In 2000, Slava mentioned that there would be "key maps" in 2.7 or 2.8 that would allow Emacs-like bindings to be implemented. Unfortunately, we are up to 3.x now and there is still no sign of them. Any idea when they might arrive? I think support for key maps and/or Emacs key bindings would make jEdit much more interesting for a lot of people.

23 Mar 2000 14:12 brak

Beautiful editor. Ugly memory requirements.
JEdit is an excellent editor. The functionality is top-notch and the interface is slick. The only problem is its appetite for memory, which is probably a Java issue. I personally cannot afford 25 megs for a text editor. I hope the authors will find a way around this issue, as the editor shows a great deal of promise and would provide an ideal cross-platform solution for those of us who must edit on both *NIX and Win platforms.