Projects / INSERT / Comments

Comments for INSERT

31 Aug 2007 02:58 matzmann

Re: Antivirus
Ii should think, if you want to use a linux system to operate on your harddisk, you should first make yourself familiar with using such a system (i.e. know how to mount harddisk partitions etc.). Also you should start reading the (small bit of) documentation that comes with INSERT. You can see it in the browser after system startup.

INSERT is designed for use by experienced (linux) users.

INSERT tries to provide the tools - you need to provide the knowledge.

Sorry
Matthias

31 Aug 2007 02:54 matzmann

Re: LCD Problem
Maybe try giving it an 'insert vga=normal' on the boot prompt.

Regards
Matthias

31 Aug 2007 02:50 matzmann

Re: Boot from FAT16 USB Flashdrive
Should be OK in the next release.

Thanks
Matthias

31 Aug 2007 02:48 matzmann

Re: 64Mb usb key, not enough space
This will be fixed in the next release.

Thanks
Matthias

31 Aug 2007 02:47 matzmann

Re: missing sata-sis support
sata-sis is statically compiled into the kernel.

To do a custom kernel build is not easy, and instructions and files are hard to keep up to date for download.
(Sorry, no time for that. Maybe a a later time.)

Regards
Matthias

26 Apr 2007 20:57 yeungtuzi

missing sata-sis support
With SIS chipset, INSERT cannot found the hard disk on the sata interface while pata is ok. I think this can be solved by installing module "sata_sis" but there is no this module.

ps. Where can I find the config&patch of kernel building? I'd like build a new INSERT kernel if possible.

17 Apr 2007 13:27 hamel_g

64Mb usb key, not enough space
The 1.3.9b doesn't fit on a regular 64Mb usb key.

I had to modify usb-install.sh by adding the option '-N 256' to the mke2fs command. The mke2fs default calculation of the number of inode gives too many reserved blocks and waste some precious kbytes ...

28 Mar 2007 02:27 rindi

ubcd 4 integration
There is a new UBCD release, 4.01 and as far as I can see there isn't any "full" version of that CD anymore that would include Insert. I'd like to integrate insert into the UBCD but am not sure how to do that. Can anyone give me some tips on how I should do that? I've seen that on the 3.4 version of the UBCD insert is one file without an extension.

08 Mar 2007 07:09 Sunchi

Re: Boot from FAT16 USB Flashdrive

> I successfully make USB pendrive with
> script including in live CD, but i need
> boot from FAT16 using SYSLINUX
> How i can do this ?
> I place insert image in INSERT\INSERT on
> my fat16 flashdrive, copy isolinux.cfg
> to syslinux.cfg
> I have boot root file system , but then
> i see
> "Can't find INSERT filesystem,
> sorry" and drop mr to the shell

So i find where is the trouble
Kernel command mount do not have cp437 inside or something like that
When i try to mount my fat flash from busybox with command "mount -t vfat -o shortname=winnt /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb"
I get the error: "Fat: codepage cp437 not found" - i think there no such codepage in kernel

i try kernel from version 1.3.8 and 1.3.9b

06 Mar 2007 12:20 Sunchi

Boot from FAT16 USB Flashdrive
I successfully make USB pendrive with script including in live CD, but i need boot from FAT16 using SYSLINUX

How i can do this ?

I place insert image in INSERT\INSERT on my fat16 flashdrive, copy isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg

I have boot root file system , but then i see

"Can't find INSERT filesystem, sorry" and drop mr to the shell