Projects / GQview / Comments

Comments for GQview

02 Nov 2005 17:06 scheckler

Great image viewer, only one problem
like many other posters, I have tried others, but GQView is definitely the best. I've used it on all kinds of linux machines, even older boxes, with no real problems.

The only problem I have with it is when browsing large collections over a network share on a slower link (11Mbps wireless). When opening the first image, it takes a really long time to load, since gqview seems to be grabbing something about every image on load. No, I'm not enabling thumbnails. Is there a way to stop this behavior?

25 Apr 2005 21:03 thomp

definitely a winner
i've tried 'the other viewers' several times now (seems to be roughly an annual ritual) but keep ending up back at gqview -- the straightforward interface and ability to handle a wide variety of image formats are real winners when all you need is a good bitmap viewer...

14 May 2004 04:54 rvb

great improvement
the gtk2 version of gqview has become a lot faster compared to the gtk1 one. i always loved gqview as an image-viewer but found it way too slow. But the gtk2 version rocks. :)

30 Mar 2004 12:01 1ng0

a great piece of software :o]

i just installed version 1.4.1 (via my distributions package-management) some minutes ago and i was completely surprised and satisfied. coming from gimageview which had some limitation in handling for me - gqview is really great, the way i like it
fast

small

stable

easy

:o)

05 Nov 2003 05:22 polar88bear

File names display in thumbnail view
Hi

I've just downloaded and installed GQView 1.34. I
must say that it is the fastest, most stable and
complete open source image viewer package I
have tried. (Other image viewers I have tried
include gwenview, showimg, gthumb, imgseek,
pixieplus etc).

However, it is very pity that file names are not
displayed in thumbnail (or icon) view as oppose to
other packages.

18 Jun 2003 23:14 jrjohns3

Re: Cheers to the author

> This is my image viewer of choice. I
> was dismayed to find that development
> slowed for quite some time, but I
> continued to use the development
> version.
> Now I've stumbled across a release.
> Excellent!

I agree, this is the best image viewing tool on the market. I have am inpressed by its speed and ease of use. Thanks for your efforts!!!
jake@plutoid.com (http://www.plutoid.com)

17 Feb 2003 11:14 emil5

add normal keybindis
For Viewing Images this programs is good enough, but keybindigs are strange. V - full screen, why not "F".
Adding some conversion to files will be very helpful

12 Dec 2002 11:47 dgdaniels

fine viewer
I found GQview by accident while browsing the apps of my new rh8 install. Very pleasant surprise!

The only thing I wished it had was a batch renaming function! Had renaming a 100 photos from my digital camera is no fun!

GQview is a great little app!

03 Jan 2002 06:16 xinchaoworld

GQ View is outstanding
GQ View is the best image viewer, proprietary or otherwise, I've run across. That title
was previously held by Compupic, a proprietary product. It's feature-completeness is
excellent and the speed is quite good, even on my aging dual PPro 180 machine.

The only features I could ask for that it doesn't already have are:

1) The ability to auto-generate a W3C-compliant HTML 4.0 image/thumbnail page. I know
many things already do this and do it well, but having a 1-click feature for that in GQ View
would just be really convenient.

2) Option to put a .thumbnails directory in each photo directory.

I rated it a 9/10. It does what it does better than anything I've used, and the features above
would make it a 10 for me. If those aren't important to you, it's probably going to be a 10 for you.

03 Jan 2002 00:18 sludge

Cheers to the author
This is my image viewer of choice. I was dismayed to find that development slowed for quite some time, but I continued to use the development version.

Now I've stumbled across a release. Excellent!