Projects / gpsdrive / Comments

Comments for gpsdrive

08 Jan 2006 11:43 JoergOstertag

Re: Love your program but...
Sorry for letting you wait so long for an answer; but i
dont check this forum regularly. So it sometimes takes
some time until I see requests here.
Better you
subscribe to the gpsdrive mailinglist by sending a mail
to
majordomo@warbase.selwerd.nl with the
subject/body "subscribe gpsdrive".

> I plan on integrating this program with
> my car computer but I have one problem
> with it,

Great; tell us if you encounter any progress. I'm really
curious to see pictures and descriptions as soon as you
make any progress.

> I hate the way I have to obtain
> map, I have to click on a location and
> get a map for it, and because sometimes

Did you already try gpsfetchmap.pl to download more
than one map at a time?

> Is it possible to somehow download in
> bulk? For instance is there a way to get
> all the maps of such and such a
> resolution for everything in a 75 mile
> radius of Fort. Lauderdale Florida, and
> then more detailed maps for everything
> within a 40 mile radius etc?

(Speaking of the current CVS Version, which also can be
found at http://www.ostertag.name/gpsdrive)
Set gpsdrive to no-SQL. Set a waypoint at your current
location; lets say you name it MyHome. Then (at the
commandline) start
gpsfetchmap.pl -w MyHome -a 100
gpsfetchmap.pl -w MyHome -a 5 --scale 3000

These two commands would download Maps from your
area in different scales.

I hope this helps.

Joerg

17 Dec 2005 19:48 thefool

Love your program but...
I have tried a lot of different GPS programs for the palm, windows and OS X but this is the best program I have encountered. I love the fact that you can simulate even when you don't have a GPS plugged in.

I plan on integrating this program with my car computer but I have one problem with it, I hate the way I have to obtain map, I have to click on a location and get a map for it, and because sometimes I want a zoomed out view and sometimes I want a street by street view I have to get it at different resolutions, you made this fairly easy, but it is still a horribly tedious and time consuming task.

I drive all over south florida and I want to get the maps for the whole area and, after spending about an hour downloading maps just for my local area I have to ask if there is a better way that I am somehow missing.

Is it possible to somehow download in bulk? For instance is there a way to get all the maps of such and such a resolution for everything in a 75 mile radius of Fort. Lauderdale Florida, and then more detailed maps for everything within a 40 mile radius etc?

If anyone knows how I could do this please please leave a post email me or something I love this program but I just don't have the time to get all the maps I need one at a time...

09 Nov 2005 09:15 JoergOstertag

Re: GPS Vehicle Tracking
Can you get more specific on this one?

09 Nov 2005 09:10 JoergOstertag

Re: Cannot align maps
Can you please the problems you encounter to the
gpsdrive mailing list.
This way we can more easily track them.
OK Best would be to add them to the Bugzilla too.

01 Oct 2005 08:27 elronxenu

Cannot align maps
Unlike other gps software for linux, this one mostly

works. However starting and stopping gpsd from

within gpsdrive does not work, because gpsdrive

calls gpsd with an apparently obsolete set of

options.

There seems to be some confusion about whether

this project is being actively maintained. The CVS

server contains v2.10pre3 which is just a little more

recent than the debian sarge package, but the

bugzilla mentions a 3.0 alpha version.

I recompiled gpsdrive from scratch. No real

problems there.

The program gets data from gpsd fine so long as

gpsd was started before starting gpsdrive.

The map import is confusing. It is unclear what units

"scale" refers to on import. The automated download

of maps from expedia resulted in maps configured

with entirely the wrong scale, which produced some

interesting (read: totally bogus) results when

viewing at various resolutions.

The fixed 1280x1024 map size is very

inconvenient, particularly as the whole map cannot

fit on most peoples' screens.

I have some maps which I created by downloading

online street directory maps and stitching them

together. These maps are referenced by

latitude/longitude (i.e. I know the centre

co-ordinates precisely) but the gpsdrive method of

applying a co-ordinate to an imported map file by

specifying two waypoints resulted in a map which

was misaligned by about 50 metres, with no

obvious way to correct this. I reset the centre

co-ordinates in the map_koord file but changing the

scale parameter also in that file showed that it was

not possible to reconcile my known current position

with the waypoint at that co-ordinate in the image.

Consequently the software promises, but does not

deliver on actually viewing an accurate street-level

map.

Improvements required for gpsdrive to be actually

useful would be some way to scroll the map display

(up/down and left/right), smaller or user-defined

map tiles, automatic merging of map tiles at different

resolutions (e.g. on the same display, show detailed

map images where the tiles exist, and show a

scaled up part of a higher scale map where detailed

map tiles do not exist.

13 Mar 2005 08:29 lilphil

Idea's
I've just stumbled accross this project and it looks great. I'm thinking about buying a gps to go with it now!

Couple of ideas - I wonder if it would be possible to integrate the data from http://www.jibble.org/ukpostcodes/ to search by postcode, or add waypoints by postcode.

Also, database abstraction would be nice, so the database doesnt necessarily have to be mysql :)

27 Nov 2004 07:56 tombinrang

GPS Vehicle Tracking
Will there be any plans to have GPS drive track one another through a mobile phone?

30 Jul 2004 05:40 mutax

offset in topo/street maps
Hi,

I renamed all my old maps from mapblast to top_blah and changed the map_koords file according to that.

Then I downloaded new maps from expedia.

Now when I switch Topo/Street all waypoints on the topomaps have an offset of some meters, although they have been created using these maps once (before the renaming from map_ to top_)

My question: Why does this happen?

I have not changed any coordinates in the map_ccords file. I just replaced the filename...

What can I do to correct this?

bye,

Florian

btw. expedia somehow sucks... They call one half of the cities english names the other half german names. A nice mix :(

[ I didn't knew Brunswick is Braunschweig...]

17 Dec 2003 11:30 jethroboingo

Feature request/Great App
Fritz, would custom waypoint type/icons be possible.
I love this software and the waypoint types already present by defualt. Would it be feasbile to make your own waypoint types?

btw good work. love the program

06 May 2003 03:22 murthycvrs

GPSDrive New User
Nice to really know that this software exists.I have a Garmin GPS device , I want it to connect it with GPSDrive on a PDA kind of device which uses Linux(Redhat 7.x) as an OS. But the problem is the PDA kind of device doesn't come with a serial port it has a USB port on to which I have to connect the GPS , so I somehow managed to get the USB to serial port adapter. There is this Driver problem for accessing the USB port.How do I acheive the GPS communication with GPSDRIVE on this PDA kind-of device. PLZ kindly help me in this matter. thanks in advance.