Projects / gpsd / Comments

Comments for gpsd

13 Jan 2007 14:27 gvy

re license change
> Many changes were made, perhaps the most obvious

> being the switch from the GPL to the BSD license to

> facilitate commercial use.

Usually the author(s) are better off providing dual-licensed code, (L)GPL and commercial -- if it's 3rd party commercial use to be facilitated, they might earn some money (which is proper); if it's in-house, then authors aren't bound by the license they designated themselves as they can also use any other license for any other party or, well, themselves.

Those crying for BSD license are usually either misunderstanding the licensing, or didn't even read and understand GPL themselves. Historically, BSDL (almost public domain statement but coming with arrogant and problematic advertising clause -- absent in "revised" one) started accompanying code written for government grants, which is way different from independent authors.

Just in case someone bothered you enough... although this might be bothering as well. :-)

12 Oct 2003 03:01 ciagon

Re: Protocol Document
Thanks, I wrote that :).

--Tom

16 Jun 2003 01:45 zcougar

Re: Protocol Document
You can find some documentation of protocol here: http://pygps.org/gpsd/protocol.html (http://pygps.org/gpsd/protocol.html)

21 Mar 2003 17:50 ciagon

Protocol Document
Is there any documentation on the gpsd protocol. Here is what I have figured out so far:

P=lat lon
D=utc (?)
A=altitude
V=speed (unit?)
R=0/1 (no idea?)
S=status (?)
M=mode (?)

Also, is there a publicly available server to test on? My only gps is wired into my car, and its more fun to develop and test indoors.

15 Jul 2002 23:56 jreich

GPSD differential over IP
I'm having some strange problems using the differential GPS over IP feature of GPSD.

Running on a Win2K or WinXP PC using Cygwin 1.3.10-1, gpsd is misbehaving strangely. First of all, it can't seem to get a differential lock until I telnet to the gpsd port and hit "dp" a few times to grab some data. The first few dp's yield no data (i.e. coordinates are all 0.0), and then suddenly one of them gives real lat and long and the Ds show up on my GPS display. If I run at a higher debug level (-D 4), I don't see the dgps server data show up until I've done the 2 or 3 dps.

Without doing this, I've waiting as long as 20 minutes without ever achieving a differential lock.

This wouldn't be so bad, but I can also only keep gpsd running for about 10 minutes at a time. After that, the telnet port becomes unreponsive and the differential lock goes away. On the display of ps, a "0" appears next to the gpsd process.

Help!

Thanks,
-- Jim

12 Apr 2002 03:30 drensura

Re: xgpsspeed not compiling under Solaris 8 x86 - solution
Seems I goofed, lol (darn HTML parser!). The proper line to add is #include &ltsys/filio.h&gt .

> I had trouble compiling xgpsspeed under
> Solaris 8 x86 using gcc 2.95.3 I
> received a warning that FIONREAD was
> undeclared in xgpsspeed.c. After some
> reading up, found that FIONREAD is
> defined for Solaris systems in
> /usr/include/sys/filio.h. I added
> #include to xgpsspeed.c, and it
> compiled and ran fine. Your configure
> script may need to be updated with this
> particular quirk of Solaris (That is if
> you want to make sure it all compiles
> fine under solaris). Hope this helps
> someone else out there. And I hope you
> find this info useful. ;-)
> Albert

12 Apr 2002 03:27 drensura

xgpsspeed not compiling under Solaris 8 x86 - solution
I had trouble compiling xgpsspeed under Solaris 8 x86 using gcc 2.95.3 I received a warning that FIONREAD was undeclared in xgpsspeed.c. After some reading up, found that FIONREAD is defined for Solaris systems in /usr/include/sys/filio.h. I added #include to xgpsspeed.c, and it compiled and ran fine. Your configure script may need to be updated with this particular quirk of Solaris (That is if you want to make sure it all compiles fine under solaris). Hope this helps someone else out there. And I hope you find this info useful. ;-)

Albert

04 Feb 2002 22:42 remco

Re: if it's not compiling, try this
Newer c-libs moved time.h. The fix is easy, a test needs
to be added to configure. As a quick work-around, include
whatever is there, time.h and sys/time.h.

As for the X files: The package contains some sample
clients that do indeed use X.

Configure should check for X and Motif, and only build
the clients if everything is there. Gpsd itself should build
regardless of X or Motif. If there is a problem, please let
me know.

01 Feb 2002 00:01 drwho5

if it's not compiling, try this
I had a lot of trouble getting this to work on Debian with 2.4.17 kernel. Maybe it's because there's no X installed. In any case, I was able to fix the by changing all occurences of #include <sys/time.h> to #include <time.h>. However, a friend of mine still couldn't get it to compile on his custom distribution even after these changes, as it was complaining about missing X files or some such (Mulder and Scully). Anyhow, why do we need X for GPS? sort of strange.