Projects / Gpasman / Comments

Comments for Gpasman

22 Mar 2003 17:44 bugra

Re: Stay away from it
i fixed it on the recent version 1.9.1b and there should be no longer a limitation for the password file.

27 Jul 2001 07:41 jtoledo

Stay away from it
Stay away from this program. Using sloppy coding
techniques (fixed array sizes) quickly leads to
problems. When your file grows over a certain
limit, the program won't come up, and you won't be
able to see your precious data.

If the author were actively maintaining the
program it wouldn't be so much of a problem, but
he isn't. So don't trust your data to gpasman.

In case you are already locked out, get the source
and make LOAD_BUFFER_LENGTH much larger (I tried
multiplying by 100). Compile and run the new
version (make sure you are running the version YOU
compiled). Copy your data and RUN AWAY!

Regards,
Juan.

10 Mar 2001 19:19 ec|ipse

Re: Data corruption

I've encountered the same with gpasman as well as kpasman, heres the response from the author of kpasman which should explain why what you describe happens.

my message

> I've been using both programs now in hopes
that one will work where the

> other doesn't, unfortunately, both seem to crash after 22 entries with a

> segmentation fault error, data files become corrupt and nolonger usable by

kpasman author

The only bug I know of inherent in both is a limitation on the size of
data entry; gpasman hardcoded 2048 as a buffer limit. Try grabbing the
latest CVS source of kpasman, I added a fix to make it all dynamic -
compile a new binary and see how that goes. (betcha it's the size of the
22nd/23rd entry)

16 Jan 2001 10:38 xanni

Data corruption
After using gpasman extensively for a long time, I recently upgraded
to 1.3.0 and within a few days for reasons unknown all versions of gpasman now segfault on different machines (with different libraries) when reading the, apparently now corrupted, password file right after the master password is entered. No response from the author so far after 36 hours.

12 Jun 2000 12:08 gsteinbach

gpasman
I Installed gpasman 1.2 under HP-UX 10.20 with no problems. It worked for a few weeks,
then after updating to 1.3 it started garbling everything "slightly", i.e. transposing every
other character etc.
I could not get it to work again and since then I simply store my passwords in a
des-encrypted file.

05 Jun 2000 21:35 ec|ipse

unreachable
Well the program works fairly well, in fact, I would have to say it works great and I would recommend the program to anyone interested in keeping track of their passwords in a secure location. But I had an issue where X died on me and it corrupted my password file. Notifying the author back in May 2000 gave me no response. Still waiting.
__
Too be continued if author responds.