Projects / GNU Parted / Comments

Comments for GNU Parted

22 Nov 2003 17:07 tmillard

Can we merge partitions?
I have Red Hat 5.0 and I want to get Linux From Scratch installed. My hard disk is laid out like this:

/dev/hda1 = Microfat-DOS 6.22
/dev/hdb1 = Home dir
/dev/hdb2 = Swap
/dev/hdb3 = Red Hat Linux 5.0 (About 300 MB.)
/dev/hdb4 = Future LFS (About 800 MB.)

After I get LFS installed I want to merge or outher wise re-use my Red Hat partition.
Is it possable to use GNU Parted to merge them together?

27 Jun 2002 06:51 epostma

Thanks!
Great program! The following just happened to me while moving my root partition to reiserfs: I first shrunk the ext2 filesystem and the partition it's on to make space for a new partition to temporarily store the contents of / while I changed / to reiserfs, then moved it all back to /, deleted the temporary partition and then finally wanted to resize / back to its original size. I don't know why but parted didn't want to change the size of the partition with resize just because it can't handle reiserfs sufficiently well. So I decided that I'd use cfdisk for this last step instead. Wrong! I ended up with an unusable partition. Fortunately parted has a `rescue partition' option which in my case actually worked! So I'm typing this off my newly rescued partition. Thanks!

Now I just got to figure out a way to resize the partition. Resizing the filesystem afterwards ought not to be much of a problem (with resize_reiserfs).

08 Dec 2001 08:29 whetphish

NTFS Support
How's about implementing NTFS support?

Nick.

17 Apr 2001 00:14 slipwalker

Re: Any Feedback?

> I wonder if
> there's a nice frontend or something
> like that to this program.

i guess nParted

( http://freshmeat.net/projects/nparted/ )

is what you are looking for...

05 Feb 2001 08:04 petis776

Re: Any Feedback?

> Hi, I was just wondering how successful
> this was. I need to shrink an existing

I shrunk (sp?) my root partition using the bootdisk with parted that is available from gnu.org. If it's not your root partition you don't have to get the boot disk.. Anyway, it worked like a charm, this is an excellent piece of software!

21 Dec 2000 23:15 eitch

Re: Any Feedback?
I just tested it and it worked just fine :) I resized my Linux partition and create others... like another ext2 and one FAT. So I think it is secure... The only problem that I found was the bad interface with the user. I wonder if there's a nice frontend or something like that to this program.

27 Mar 2000 20:55 n3v

Any Feedback?
Hi, I was just wondering how successful this was. I need to shrink an existing ext2 filesystem and give the extra space to an existing FAT32 partition. (Games are just getting too damn big) If you have done something similar please drop me a note.

Thanks!