Projects / GKrellM / Comments

Comments for GKrellM

02 Jan 2013 23:49 mETz

I have contacted the author about the website absence. The project will continue to live in any case, I'll write a followup here once I know more. Source downloads are still available at http://www.srcbox.net/projects/gkrellm/downloads, although only in ZIP format.

05 Dec 2012 08:20 Romster

Love this program, but I see the site is down, I assume that Bill has lost interest in maintaining this program, is there anyone out there that is willing to resurrect it?

02 Jan 2011 00:30 Laysan_A

Hi,

I, too, am a fan of gkrellm. I've been using it since I first put linux on my i8000. I'm sorry to see that it's slowly moving out of favor. I wish I could help with the development, but I just don't have the skills.

I do have a question...I've been trying to jazz-up the calendar/clock a bit by closing everything else down, making it bigger, changing the font, size and color, but I really don't want the calendar (which I want to be much smaller than the time) to be on top...There isn't any way to change that, is there (other than opening another, separate, instance with just the calendar)?

For those who think gkrellm just looks old and clunky and doesn't fit in with kde anymore, let me share my gkrellm [url=http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10255656#post10255656]here.[/url] If you feel like it, you can also leave me some advice on the little issue I posted about, too. ;) I recommend anyone using (k)ubuntu, or perhaps debian, and wants to use gkrellm, also read my post. I contains some important information (at least I think it is...).

Oh, I know it's been a year (more ;) ), but if you want gkrellm to behave on your desktop, select it as a dock in its settings, then go to your window manager settings and select to force it under all other windows - it'll stay where it is and won't bother you anymore (won't lose focus either).

@Frank64
You should've saved that theme! Wish I could help. :)

04 Aug 2010 04:35 aabatpurduedotedu

Is there a bug list for "gkrellm" that I could browse? I built "gkrellm-2.3.2" on a
redhat 5.5, 32-bit box and it SEGVs before I can see anything. I was wondering if somebody else had encountered a like problem.

-- Thanks,
-- Paul

The following was displayed on the terminal and a small window was displayed
with the first line. I'm not sure the third line came before or after the SEGV.

gkrellm segmentation fault: (create_monitor)
Abort(coredump)
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion

After compiling with "debug=1" and running `gdb', I acquired the following
traceback from "way deep" in the system libraries. "libcairo.so.2.9.2" is the cairo
release level. (FWIW - I have a Debian lenny box that has "libcairo.so.2.17.5".)

0 0x00000000 in ?? ()
#1 0x0014ed0d in ?? () from /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2
#2 0x0014f9fa in ?? () from /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2
#3 0x0013fb33 in _cairo_pixman_composite () from /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2
#4 0x001111de in ?? () from /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2
#5 0x0011a31e in ?? () from /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2
#6 0x0011ba4f in ?? () from /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2
#7 0x0011a382 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2
#8 0x00117f7c in ?? () from /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2
#9 0x0011c5d3 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2
#10 0x0011c059 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2
#11 0x0011c476 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2#12 0x0011abf6 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2
#13 0x0010ee0d in ?? () from /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2
#14 0x001095e4 in cairo_show_glyphs () from /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2
#15 0x007a535d in ?? () from /usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0
#16 0x001df445 in pango_renderer_draw_glyphs ()
from /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so.0
#17 0x007a48a4 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0
#18 0x02daacf8 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
#19 0x001df445 in pango_renderer_draw_glyphs ()
from /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so.0
#20 0x001dfa3f in pango_renderer_draw_layout_line ()
from /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so.0
#21 0x001dfc5a in pango_renderer_draw_layout ()
from /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so.0
#22 0x02da9ca1 in gdk_draw_layout_with_colors ()
from /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
#23 0x08099089 in panel_draw_decal_text_list (pixmap=0x8112c20, d=0x8192860)
at panel.c:656
#24 0x0809965b in panel_draw_decal_text_layer (p=0x81761b0) at panel.c:704
#25 gkrellm_draw_panel_layers (p=0x81761b0) at panel.c:862#27 0x0805b01b in gkrellm_build () at main.c:1897
#28 0x0805bf45 in main (argc=Cannot access memory at address 0x0
) at main.c:2218
#26 0x0807135d in create_hostname (vbox=0x81236e8, first_create=1)

30 Mar 2010 17:38 Frank64

Hi,

Any new release coming out soon?

tnx

09 Oct 2009 01:24 Frank64

Ok found it. :) It's in Builtins>Sensors and on the right and side, there is the button LOCATION. :) So easy I forgot. :)

Seriously, any news on when 2.3.3 might come out? That version might have quicker update time for the fans and cpu/gpu temps.

08 Oct 2009 14:38 Frank64

Hi, I use gkr for 2 years now and NEVER found a monitor as good as this one. It does everything. Ok the gui is old looking and does not fit in KDE4, but I already asked for this and it's a complete re-write of the program. :) Which hopefully will happen one day. But the back-end is incredible!

I did a change a year ago or so to make it better and put my CORETEMPs along side with the CORE %, in each core's little window. So it doesn't take a line for each coretemp. I have a picture and I have my config files too (not sure I can attach this here?).

Now I am upgrading os version, but unfortunately I cannot find how I put the coretemps besides each Core%! loll There does not seem to be an options for that and if I tweaked the config files, well I cannot find anything about it. Anyone remembers or would know how?

tnx!

12 Feb 2009 12:06 loxs

Re: Change update interval of sensors
% Ditto. You can always reparent the whole
> window and embed it into a plasmoid. It
> should be doable just like you can
> swallow it into FvwmButtons in fvwm.
> However, I see no advantage in doing so.
> That will be just gkrellm with extra
> fuzziness due the the interaction with
> the container. No advantage and lot of
> potential problems.

Actually it would be great if we could embed the whole window into a plasmoid. Because now the gkrellm window is jsut a normal window and constantly gets in my way. It gains focus periodically, it can't get removed from the pager, I easily close it while trying to close other windows with keyboard shortcuts (if it's visible and has focus, nothing indicates this) etc.

24 Jan 2009 05:36 i92guboj

Re: Change update interval of sensors

> That would probably be a tough thing as

> gkrellm is based on Gtk+ and porting it

> to Qt/KDE basically means rewriting it.

> The only thing I can imagine right now

> (as an ex-KDE user/developer) would be

> to embed the whole gkrellm window in a

> small plasmoid-app that allows embedding

> any borderless application-window. I

> don't really know anything about newer

> KDE4 APIs though.

Ditto. You can always reparent the whole window and embed it into a plasmoid. It should be doable just like you can swallow it into FvwmButtons in fvwm.

However, I see no advantage in doing so. That will be just gkrellm with extra fuzziness due the the interaction with the container. No advantage and lot of potential problems.

For this to take advantage of the plasma thing the whole app needs to be ported, as you said. I have no experience with plasma concretely, though qt/kdelibs stuff can be written easily and fast. Unfortunately I know nothing about the gkrellm internals either.

Great program by the way.

06 Jan 2009 18:51 Frank64

Re: Change update interval of sensors
Hey tnx a lot for the info Stefan. Looking forward to update every second or 2. :) I am a crazy gkrellm user, I constantly monitor everything. :) You learn a lot of your machine with that and can easily determine something's wrong when values go outside what you're used to see. :)

As for KDE4, I understand. I am not much a dev guy, but I do know how to test (part of my job). So I will try and start with the easy way, if I succeed. Re-writing will be complex for me, I think I could do some sensors, but certainly not all the options I used and not all the ones available. I'll take your advice and go for it.

tnx!