Comments for Gibraltar Firewall

05 Jun 2002 21:00 gromm

Re: license problems
The problem with using a BSD license with debian is that it's not the license they use.

It's probably worthwhile to use some flavour of bsd as your base system and then modify it to your heart's content, so that you *can* use the BSD license to your heart's content and extort... er, collect money from clients. :)

Nothing's stopping you from modifying the OpenBSD directory structure to your own ends.

01 Dec 2000 00:28 gnea

uhm, well...
you see, places like cheapbytes make their money off of the cd material themselves. if i want to take gibralter, burn it to a shitload of cd's, then sell them for $1.50 a pop, i sure as all hell CAN, because i'm only replacing the cost of the blank cd's that i purchased.. if i paid $.75 for the cd, i'll charge $.75 for it. nothing you or anyone else can do about it. UNLESS the license STRICTLY prohibits this (and if it did, then your distro wouldn't gain as much popularity as others have) then it's OK. and it SHOULD be OK. Finally, if someone, such as myself, IS going to sell cd's with your distro on them, they/myself should have the courtesy of notifying you prior to burning them that they/i are going to be doing this, so that you're aware of what's going on, and if they/i slip up, u can notify of it and we can correct the problem without being pussies and bringing in a lawyer to fight for us. best way to avoid legal issues: do just that, but use yer bloody head.

10 Aug 2000 06:02 karellen

protect ISOs
> Is there any way so that I can protect only the ISO images that are available for download

Yes. You should copyright the file/directory layout on your ISO. Theo de Raadt
[OpenBSD founder?] did that, and it has proven quite efficient.
There are only `homebrewed' ISOs for OpenBSD, as you may have
noticed, and people continue to buy OpenBSD CDs and support
OpenBSD by not distributing ISO images.

01 Aug 2000 05:22 rmayrhofer

copyright now temporarily taken away
I have taken the copyright away from the server for the moment, the images are completely free therefore. But I will need some sort of protection for the ISO images themselves (not the contents of them) to be able to publish free versions of Gibraltar. Please could anybody with experience in license situations comment on which possibilities I have ?

Rene Mayrhofer

01 Aug 2000 05:12 rmayrhofer

license problems
Hi everybody

Thanks for pointing out that there is indeed a license problem. I did not want to restrict source and / or binary distribution of the GPLed programs / shell scripts that I wrote for Gibraltar. Neither did I want to restrict redstribution of any of the programs taken from Debian. I only want to restrict some company from taking these specially prepared IDO images, putting them on CD-ROM and selling them. The protection should only be put on the ISO images, not on the contents of it. If somebody takes the files from the ISO image, makes a new one and sells it, it will be ok (because that would demand some work from them and could maybe result in some contributions for Gibraltar).

Is there any way so that I can protect only the ISO images that are available for download but not the other (Debian) source packages that I will put in the source directory in a few days ? You have to understand that CD-ROMs burnt from these ISO images themselves (well, probably not from the first pre-release, but more mature one will definitely follow) could be sold.

I took OpenBSD as an example for the license: They publish everything under the BSD license, but do not want to publish *their* layout of the ISO images. Because I really want to publish free ISO images, not only sell CD-ROMs, I am seeking for a solution.

To be honest, I wanted to work on the license in the next few days but I really did not expect that much interest in Gibraltar. Really, I like it but I did not have the time to work on the license because of this demand.

I will gladly accept any proposals on how the wording of the license can be changed. If there is no GPL-compatible way of protecting the ISO images themselves, maybe somebody has another suggestion what I can do. Please be kind with me, this is the first license I wrote myself and English is not my mother's tounge.

Rene Mayrhofer

31 Jul 2000 18:48 robot101

Er... no...
Sorry, but you can't take a GPL/free software product such as Debian, or any of its derivatives, and add a restriction about its redistribution. You can't re-license it because Debian's stuff is GPL or otherwise free - its illegal to do so. If you're going to base this off Debian you must allow commercial distribution; or at least take the restriction off your page because it makes you look stupid. If it does get commercially redistributed and you do GPL what you write, you won't have any comeback, and if you try and relicense it, Debian and others will object and perhaps call in lawyers. Time for a slight rethink, hmm?

31 Jul 2000 18:46 doogie

er, actually, this isn't even legal
You can't make a GPL'd product more restrictive. The GPL does not allow that. This needs to be fixed ASAP.

31 Jul 2000 18:45 doogie

this is not gpl
Licensing something under the GPL does not mean that only the source of the product is under the GPL. The binary distribution is GPL'd as well. Limiting this to non-commerical entities goes against the GPL. This product is not free.