Projects / gFTP / Comments

Comments for gFTP

02 May 2004 19:10 sur4k

If only there was something better
I'm a long-time gFTP user, but I finally got fed up with its quirks and inconsistencies. Too many times has it done something totally unexpected and not put up any kind of error message. The only reason I used it up until now was because I didn't know where to look for something better, and for some reason a lot of other ftp clients don't realize when a file finishes transferring to the ftp server I often connect to (but gFTP does). I'm going to check out kbear and hope that it handles queues more intelligently (like, not try to open a new connection every time you queue a file for upload, or actually have a download throttle so you can specify only downloading one file at a time).

28 Mar 2004 20:53 loki27

SuSE RPMs
SuSE RPMs (9.0 and 8.2) of gftp available on my site (http://guru.unixtech.be/rpm/packages/Network/gftp/).

There's also an APT (apt4rpm) repository.

25 Oct 2003 05:27 accura2k

Great ftp software.
gftp has always been the ftp software of choice by me. The gui is easy to get familar with. Really simple for anyone used to the look and feal of wsftp on windows.

17 Feb 2003 18:25 learfox

URL parsing bug patch 2.0.14
Below is a patch for 2.0.14 that fixes the URL parsing bug that is still apparent in 2.0.14.

ftp://wolfpack.twu.net/users/wolfpack/gftp-2.0.14-patch.tgz

The bug now is different, it has to do with seeking the string pointer to the start of the path portion of the URL string, simply seeking 7 characters isn't fool proof, remember in "introduction to computers & networking(tm)" that URLs have a <protocol>://<address><path>

Local URLs do not always have the <address> but simply assuming it dosen't exist dosen't follow any quality coding practice. Please seek the string past the "file://" then use strchr() to seek to the '/' character to find the path portion of the URL.

28 Jul 2002 23:39 learfox

URL parsing bug patch
Here's the patch to gftp 2.0.13 that fixes the url parsing segfault:

ftp://wolfpack.twu.net/users/wolfpack/gftp-2.0.13-patch.tgz

19 Jul 2002 11:35 beres

Can't bookmark when not connected
gftp 2.0.12 is rather stable, 2.0.6a was quite
buggy, but one thing I don't like still is that
I can't bookmark whether not connected or trying
to connect.

25 Jun 2002 06:56 urgrue

decent
decent, stable enough.
but a bit lacking. for example queue handling is too simple, and there is no "pause transfer" option.

07 Jun 2001 03:08 MartinHerrman

Re: gftp 2.07b
Using Debian Unstable and its gftp I discovered that gftp has some flaws using long file names.

when uploading the file names are cut to 54 characters;
when downloading a file with a longer file name you get an 'can't find file or directory' error.
when trying to remove a file with a longer file name you get the same error.

This is only true for the server side files, local files don't give any problems. I already e-mailed the author, yet, I didn't get any response.

Maybe it's a debian problem, maybe it is not. Any others having problems too? (i'm using proftpd at the server)

15 Aug 2000 13:44 marclavine

gftp 2.07b
The program looks good but still seems to have one or two
flaws. On my computer (DEC Alpha running 4.0E), the file list
for the local machine does not get displayed. Also, the transfers
don't show the transfer rate, which can be of some use when
pulling multiple files or working from multiple sources.

Still, looks very good and I look forward to the next few
versions.

13 Jul 2000 00:11 cyberconte

Good UI, program needs improvement
Great UI, good functionality, very impressed.
However it quits too often and drops connections frequently. Need to improve on the core.