Projects / gentoo / Comments

Comments for gentoo

07 Nov 2003 01:16 emilbrink

Re: RPM Install on Redhat 9

> As an ex-amiga fan I'm dying to use
> this! However, I downloaded the RPM
> install for Redhat 9 but it doesn't seem
> to install properly. The initial
> progress bar comes up then disappears
> after a split second. No errors,
> nothing. I know I have GTK+ installed.
> Any ideas anyone?!

Since I don't run RH, I'm afraid I can't help you out much there. You might want to try sending the question to the mailing list
(gentoo-misc, hosted by SourceForge). It's not a very active list however, so that's not a safe bet either. You could also, of course, try installing it manually from the distribution tar.gz archive. Not the one true way for an RPM user, but... Could be worth trying anyway. I hope you get to try it out, anyway.

05 Nov 2003 04:34 tallguy999

RPM Install on Redhat 9
As an ex-amiga fan I'm dying to use this! However, I downloaded the RPM install for Redhat 9 but it doesn't seem to install properly. The initial progress bar comes up then disappears after a split second. No errors, nothing. I know I have GTK+ installed. Any ideas anyone?!

26 Oct 2003 01:35 emilbrink

Re: Best FM for any linux environment

> Really this thing just rocks.

You're making me smile! Thanks a lot!! :D

19 Oct 2003 16:42 mesostinky

Best FM for any linux environment
Really this thing just rocks. Seriously it should be the default file manager for all linux distros. Why? Well in contrast to Nautilus and Konq it does one thing really really well. Manage files. The two-paned file manager view has been the best way to manage files for many years now. If you need to move just a few or even better many files in a short amount of time this is the way to go. There is NO faster way to navigate your system. Using say Nautilus slows down the entire process and really hogs resources. By the time you launch Nautilus or Konq and actually get your home directory displayed you'd literally already be in the directory you needed to be in Gentoo. I still use Nautilus for files that are just in my home directory or if I want to browse some thumbnails, but for the task of actually copying/moving/mass deleting Gentoo is superior in every way. Even though this way of managing files isn't new, Gentoo is the modern incarnation of this method and is the only way to manage your files efficiently.

30 Jul 2003 12:22 MasterCLC

Fastest both in opening and management
It's highly functional, very fast, excellent graphics, and the ONLY filemanager I use in GUI on my system. I look for fast programs that are both functionable, and work well, this is on the top of the the list!

Easy to understand, highly customizable should you want to, but works great 'out of the box' as well.

Looking forward to upcoming releases, possibly for GTK2 ;-)

Cool

27 Mar 2003 19:54 russkix

I absolutely love it.
I like non-bloated applications, so I run icewm, vim, etc. This is the best file manager for Linux (*n?x) yet. Some things, though:

When copying, deleting, moving, getsize-ing, etc., large numbers of files, gentoo takes a while, finishes the moving, then freezes X for a number of minutes. I'm not well versed on the technical side of file managers, but could this be avoided?

Also, it would be nice to fix some linking issues. For example, when I copy a symlink to overwrite another one, gentoo stops copying entirely.

But overall, excellent job. What else have you written?

23 Nov 2002 12:37 sawak

Best FM I've tried for Linux, but I miss one of the features from DOpus4
I used to do my filemanaging in DOpus on the Amiga, and there was one really useful feature that I would love to see in Gentoo.

It works like this: You click on a zip/tgz/whatever file in one of the windows and then you instantly click in the other window and it will unpack it there. Ofcourse you could assign other functions to this, copy the selected file for example. But it's really convenient and alot faster then all other methods I've tried. (drag-and-drop, select and press unpack button, right click and select unpack from a menu)

15 Oct 2002 08:01 aviyag

Re: Other tools
If only we could combine the rich feature set of worker
with the great looks and context dependatnt menus of gentoo, we could get the perfect file manager....

19 Aug 2002 15:27 emilbrink

Re: Gentoo is excellent!

First, thanks! I'm happy you like gentoo, and even happier you took the time to post your ideas and opinions. Here are a few comments back:

Selection is more or less GTK+ standard, which is reasonable in my opinion. Selecting things from a list with the left mouse button seems, again IMO, to be more or less world standard. Having been slightly exposed to Windows Commander recently, I kind of understand what you're saying, but I would never even had the thought otherwise. Don't expect this to change...

You could bind 'c' to the focus and clear the path, unlearn the 'd' and space, and just type the path I guess... But it seems very silly to me. Of course, I never "grew up" with file managers with integrated command lines, and still find the entire idea very weird. Again, don't expect gentoo to have an integrated shell any time soon.

I agree 100% about the VFS; it would really rock. What's stopping it is mainly a) no good VFS layer known, b) no time or energy to write one myself, and c) fear for troublesome integration, hunting down all file system accesses in gentoo could take a while.

You can change the fonts for the panes and the textview in the GTK+ RC file for gentoo, ~/.gentoogtkrc. See the README.gtkrc file for details.

20 Jul 2002 18:01 paganini

Gentoo is excellent!
In my old windoze days (gone are those days) I used Windows Commander and really liked it. Gentoo is the *only* stable and fully featured FM I've seen for linux that gets close to Windows Commander. I's quite fast and absurdly configurable (which is excellent). :)

My only gripes are:

- Clicking on a file/directory selects it. I'd rather have another mouse button/key to do it.
- I'm so used to typing "cd dir" to go there. Gentoo could intercept these keystrokes and change the directory accordingly.
- A VFS for zip/tar, etc, etc including compression support (that would really rock!)
- I cannot change the fonts! :((( The GTK theme fonts are always used (that would be OK in most cases, but it's not when I use anti-aliased fonts for my main theme and gentoo uses them -- sloooowness)

Other than that, it's excellent.