Projects / gentoo / Comments

Comments for gentoo

04 Jun 2005 19:49 contusion

Is not gentoo a linux Distribution
Gentoo is a linux distribution. Is this software violating copyright.

29 Jan 2005 14:51 chblock

Excellent Program
I've been searching for a lightweight file manager to run on my Linux box for years. I don't want the overhead involved in running KDE or Gnome and their file managers aren't that impressive either. I've tried a ton of them, but they've all been lacking in some way or another. Then I came across Gentoo. This program has it all. It's light and fast and is beautifully configurable. It does everything but make coffee. Wish I had found it sooner.

Thanks a ton for making an excellent program freely available.

09 Nov 2004 01:34 martintxo

gentoo scripts page
Hello:

Is there any gentoo filemanager scripts web page?. I consider that this would be an ussefull thing to configure your gentoo whitout reinvent the well.

Thanks for this good app, Emil.

16 Jun 2004 16:29 imp

gentoo on Gentoo: great just got greater
Until couple of days ago, I used KDE in combination with Konqueror and had my resources eaten all of the time.

Now, on XFCE4, I use gentoo and that combination is really a bliss for my Gentoo desktop machine. Fast and lightweight. 2 thumbs up from me!

PS: it really looks and feels like DOpus... ;) Ahh, the good ol' Amiga days...

23 Jan 2004 21:32 serisys

Red Hat RPM Install ??
This is similiar to tallguy999's experience.

I saw his post regarding install problem on Red Hat 9.

I'm having the exact problem, tried his apparent fix, and still have the problem.

I was wondering if anyone (including tallguy999) ever found the actual problem?

I'm a Linux Virgin Newbie but with much Windows experience and can't seem to figure it out.

I downloaded the rpm into the "root /tmp", then double clicked - quick flashing progress bar then gone!

When I tried manual rpm from the terminal "# rpm -i gentoo-0.11.39-1.fr.i386.rpm" I got the following message;

"warning: gentoo-0.11.39-1.fr.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID e42d547b"

Any help would be much appreciated. I can't wait to try this- and afterwards vote of course!

10 Dec 2003 09:07 wuonm

Re: Gentoo Rocks

> And it comes with more than 100 icons
> for different filetypes as well as
> excellent documentation...

I like the icons, but the documentation is far from excellent, it's usable.

BTW, I prefer Gentoo over Worker (what a nightmare of config windows!).

The only feature I miss in Gentoo is the possibility to include a script for an action (shell script, perl or whatever as soon as you have the interpreter installed). I suppose I can use one-liners, but it's only a work-around.

I would be nice also if you can scroll the buttons panel just with your central mouse button, allowing lots and lots of buttons :)

And finally, what about entering a mask filter (like *.pdf) in the path-box to show just the matching files? I don't know how to do it now...

Great app!

<wuonm/>

03 Dec 2003 23:33 emilbrink

Re: Stopping subscription

> Nice to see you so active again - although I'm currently using xterm
> exclusively for everything file-specific, I might consider it again
> when preparing a photo CD of my classs' trip to Oxford.
> Greet Eskil from me :) - saw him @ BlenderConf 2002 - world is a town :)

It does indeed sound as if it is! :) I will say hi to Eskil the next time I see him, sure enough. Who knows, if things turn out the way I want them to, maybe I too will be more involved with Verse again, and thus have a reason to turn up in Blender-contexts. We'll see.

And yes, I am a bit more active with gentoo, but that has been mainly because I've just gone two months without a job. Luckily for me, that seems to have changed for the better. I will try to keep gentoo alive, but a slower release schedule is probably something to expect.

03 Dec 2003 12:04 xitnalta

Stopping subscription
Nice to see you so active again - although I'm currently using xterm exclusively for everything file-specific, I might consider it again when preparing a photo CD of my class' trip to Oxford.

Greet Eskil from me :) - saw him @ BlenderConf 2002 - world is a town :)

17 Nov 2003 12:45 tallguy999

Re: RPM Install on Redhat 9
All sorted now - have absolutely no idea what was causing the problem, but have just reinstalled RH9 with all the development options. Works like a dream - has to be the perfect form for a file manager - great stuff!

11 Nov 2003 16:38 ligelowbee

A very functional year.
We've been using your filemanger for over a year now,
it's about time we said thank you.

My household thanks you :)