Projects / gcc / Comments

RSS Comments for gcc

15 May 2003 00:50 presroi Thumbs up

Re: missing version...

> meanwhile gcc 3.2 is out. why dont they
> update on freshmeat?

meanwhile gcc 3.2 is out. I just made the announcement on fm some minutes ago.

btw. "they" also means "you". :)

15 Aug 2002 12:07 enti

missing version...
meanwhile gcc 3.2 is out. why dont they update on freshmeat?

05 Apr 2002 04:06 ghostdancer

GCC 3.0.4 got broken stdc++??
Hm... I just did a configure --prefix follow by
make and make install.

Compiled X, KDE and kernel. No problem so far...

24 Mar 2002 19:26 jrv

Broken libstdc++ in GCC 3.0.4
The version of libstdc++ included with GCC 3.0.4 is somewhat broken.

Specifically, when you attempt to configure it (which normally happens during 'make bootstrap') the configure script complains that you have a broken g++, tells you to upgrade to a version of GCC newer than 3.0, and quits. This leaves you with an effectively broken C++ compiler, since you don't have a C++ library.

The fix is to get a new version of libstdc++. Unfortunately, the GNUheads haven't bothered to put any of the recent versions of libstdc++ (i.e. 3.0.x) on the ftp.gnu.org server, and the gnu web page doesn't refer you to the 'real' project ftp site. So, in order to have a working C++ compiler, get sourceware.cygnus.com/..., and use it to replace the gcc-3.0.4/libstdc++-v3/ directory. Then compile as normal.

18 Jan 2001 21:47 jeffcovey

Re: ?
Again, I'm sorry about the delay. As for handling different branches of
a project as semi-separate entities, this is in the plans for freshmeat ][,
which scoop is coding as we speak.

18 Jan 2001 21:34 fredlwm

Re: ?
We don't make announcements of releases that we can't confirm
The Changelog URL would confirm.
If you had replied to his message and pointed out that the announcement was taking too long to process, I would have checked it myself to see whether I would have better luck.
And I thought that he wouldn't announce it, because announcing a test release after 4-5 doesn't make much sense.
I would recommend changing the Changelog field of the project's appindex record to point to the latest information.
What I did for both announcements. The problem is that Freshmeat is somewhat badly designed. If I add another URL on any field it shows up for any version and also at the appindex, what's wrong. Having different URLs for each announcement and stable/development releases is much better.
I must admit, I was rude (flames@freshmeat.net is a better place).

18 Jan 2001 20:06 jeffcovey

Re: ?
Dear Frederick:

Your comment was not deleted. You attached it to the specific
announcement, not to the general appindex page, so it doesn't show up
on freshmeat.net/projects.... I believe comments posted to
specific announcements previously appeared on the page for their
announcements (in this case, freshmeat.net/history/...),
but this doesn't seem to be true at the moment. Here's a copy of your
post for anyone who missed it:

Check here. Consider
this my last contribution to Freshmeat. I posted it 4-5 days ago when
it was released, then someone from Freshmeat replied that he couldn't
connect to the host from his machine (despite both download locations
working without any problems for me on various machines). OK, but 4-5
days to announce it? Give me a break. I really thought that announcing
such test releases would help the GCC team, mainly because this site
is popular, but if it's to get it announced with a huge delay, no
thanks. If it wasn't enough, the announcements are edited and relevant
information is removed, like the URL of the announcement from the
mailing-list archives.

I'm sorry that your submission was delayed. We don't make
announcements of releases that we can't confirm, and I didn't realize
Nathan was still having trouble connecting to the download URLs. If
you had replied to his message and pointed out that the announcement
was taking too long to process, I would have checked it myself to see
whether I would have better luck.

As for the URL in the changes description, we don't allow HTML in our
posts because our data is posted to newsgroups, pulled from
freshmeat.net/backend/, etc. by people who are expecting to
receive plain text. I would recommend changing the Changelog field of
the project's appindex record to point to the latest information.

Sincerely,

Jeff

17 Jan 2001 21:39 fredlwm

?
Censorship? It seems that you can't post a comment with relevant information about an announcement that got edited by a butcher and also say why it was announced 4-5 days after the submission. If you want to delete this comment, also don't forget to remove my account (otherwise I'll post it again), since I won't give a fuck to your site. Have a nice day.

02 Jan 2001 22:50 fredlwm

Announcement for 2.95.3.test1
Check here.

JavaMelody

A program for monitoring JavaEE applications.

pyAggr3g470r