Projects / g4u / Comments

Comments for g4u

09 Oct 2007 07:57 ramsfan

Re: status?

> % has

> % this project been abandoned?

> No. I'm just busy with reallife (PhD

> thesis...),

> you can always build g4u with latest

> NetBSD-current sources to get support

> for more recent hardware. I should

> really get some snapshot out...

> - Hubert

I was wondering. Does this iso work with booting a SPARC sun solaris system. I tried using Roxio to burn the image but when I tried to boot off of it it didn't work. Any ideas?

31 Jan 2007 09:45 williamwbishop

Re: status?

> % has

> % this project been abandoned?

> No. I'm just busy with reallife (PhD

> thesis...),

> you can always build g4u with latest

> NetBSD-current sources to get support

> for more recent hardware. I should

> really get some snapshot out...

> - Hubert

Please do, if you get the time. I use G4U a lot, but more specifically I use MIDS which is a derivative, to save myself countless hours of work. I understand if you don't have time though, we're all a bit short of it right now. If I can get some time, I might break down and rebuild it as you suggest and then update mids as it directs. Why do they have to keep messing with chipsets?!?!

30 Mar 2006 04:58 hubertf

Re: status?

> has

> this project been abandoned?

No. I'm just busy with reallife (PhD thesis...),

you can always build g4u with latest NetBSD-current sources to get support for more recent hardware. I should really get some snapshot out...

- Hubert

30 Mar 2006 03:35 shuubz

status?
haven't seen any updates for a while. have run into some chipsets and other hardware that is not supported. has this project been abandoned?

22 Mar 2006 02:15 sprothero

does this work with logical raid volumes?
I need to rebuild a system with 6 physical disks which are currently configured as a single raid 0 array to have raid 5 instead. Will this tool be able to image & restore my system? (There is a single logical volume which contains /boot and / filesystems.)

30 Aug 2005 09:36 ldrolez

Re: Forget the rest.. This one works "out of the box"

> After trying the following

> alternatives:

Now you can also try the Linbox Rescue Server. It's an optimized backup like partimage but it also supports XFS, Reiserfs over LVM1/2. It only saves used sectors on your HD so it's very fast and efficient. And thanks to the provided ISO image, you can set up a rescue server in minutes. http://lrs.linbox.org

19 Jul 2005 12:05 MrMoke

Video problem with 2.0 and 2.1
When Hubert moved up to version 2.0, the way that video was modified. I have a system with built-in i810 video controller, but also an old ATI AIW PCI card which I use for video.

Versions prior to 2.0 never had a problem detecting and using the ATI card, but the newer version goes to a black screen and freezes.

In order to back the system up, I must set BIOS to use the built-in video only, and move the monitor cable to the motherboard video port.

This was never an issue with versions prior to 2.0.

30 May 2005 22:41 justlooking

Forget the rest.. This one works "out of the box"
g4u is the only program I will use now to create images of PCs which either dual boot or single boot Linux. This is a no-nonsense, well-documented project.

After trying the following alternatives:

Partimage (failed for multiple reasons)

Device-Image (too slow and corrupted NTLDR)

Mondorestore (backing up to CD - poor cdrecord support & backup failed to capture NTFS [no warnings provided])

Ghost 9.0 (failed to back up ext3)

Ghost 2003 (needs floppy drive)

I came across g4u and it came, it saw, it conquered! I used the network method in the doco and it worked without a problem.

Thanks for creating something that works..

07 Dec 2004 14:19 hubertf

Re: g4u community created

> FYI, I have created a g4u community on

> Orkut, in case you want to get in

> contact with other g4u users. Drop me a

> mail if you want/need an invitation.

Let's try mailing lists after Orkut hasn't proven exactly performant in the past weeks. See the g4u homepage ("Support") for details.

Sorry for the fuzz!

- Hubert

18 Jul 2004 07:17 hubertf

g4u community created
FYI, I have created a g4u community (http://www.orkut.com/Community.aspx?cmm=175119) on Orkut (http://www.orkut.com/), in case you want to get in contact with other g4u users. Drop me a mail if you want/need an invitation. Enjoy!

- Hubert