Comments for Functionally Overloaded Linux Kernel

21 Feb 2002 15:42 imipak

Re: Is development dead?

> The subject says it all, doesn't it? I'd
> like to use the FOLK patch on my
> workstation, but the latest release is
> for 2.4.10... What's happening?

The project went on hold, for a while. :( Part of that was a heavy workload, but part of it was due to the fact that kernel development went into a period of sheer chaos for a while. Entire major components were being ripped out and replaced, seemingly on a daily basis. I wanted to wait until things calmed down a little, so that patches might actually work with the latest kernel.

I also made several attempts to move onto the 2.5.x tree, but the chaos simply moved over there. Although there's some really nice code there, I've found it impossible to produce a good 2.5.x patch, with all the pin-wheeling around. Once someone disconnects the Improbability Generator from Linus' brain, it should be possible to move forward there. (Linus is probably one of the hottest coders around, and one of the brightest, but we might as well be using a Genetic Algorithm for the Virtual Memory Manager, for all that it keeps getting replaced.)

30 Nov 2001 11:27 styxern

Is development dead?
The subject says it all, doesn't it? I'd like to use the FOLK patch on my workstation, but the latest release is for 2.4.10... What's happening?

30 Jul 2001 14:35 imipak

Re: wish: Make available via ftp?
You can access the FOLK archives via FTP, by
FTPing to <a
href="ftp://ftp.sourceforge.net/pub/sourceforge/folk/">ftp.sourceforge.net
and going to the /pub/sourceforge/folk directory.

29 Jun 2001 17:32 fireeyes

wish: Make available via ftp?
It would be nice to be able to download these patches from an ftp server, I have to stop downloads frequently and at 5M into it, I don't have too much faith in stopping an http download and hoping it resumes.

So making it available via ftp would be fantastic!

Thanks.

15 Jun 2001 12:44 imipak

Re: Support for low-latency patch?

> Are you planning on adding Ingo Molnar's
> low-latency patch to your kernel patch
> set?

I'm stuck on whether to use Ingo's patch or Andrew
Morton's patch. Andrew Morton's uses a lot of Ingo
Molnar's patch set, and is much more current, but that
doesn't always mean much. I'll have to think about this
one, but any input anyone can give would be truly
appreciated.

15 Jun 2001 11:47 rufustfirefly

Support for low-latency patch?
Are you planning on adding Ingo Molnar's low-latency patch to your kernel patch set?