Projects / evilwm / Comments

Comments for evilwm

18 Dec 2004 20:33 fenderman11111

minor annoyance
Hello all
I discovered evilWM the other day ... I installed every WM i could find all at once and i played with them all. evil is by far the coolest one.

One thing that annoys me. You have to start programs from the command line. This isn't so bad, it just adds clutter. If anyone has ever used ratpoison, there is a feature that lets you exec a command from the window manager itself using the hotkey 'C-t !'. i think evilwm would greatly benefit from this feature. If you don't know what i mean, check out ratpoison. perhaps someone agrees with me, but if not, it's hacking time.

24 Oct 2004 21:29 mystran

Re: Almost too simple
I've since switched away from wmx, and (surprise surprise) to using evilwm full-time, everywhere, including my 2GHz work desktop. Actually, evilwm becomes even nicer when you have a big screen too.

25 Aug 2003 03:16 a_ferrarini

Focus
I encountered a really fastidious problem: you can't focus a new window when there is no current window. To solve this problem i wrote a patch for version 0.99.15:
-------CUT-HERE-------------------------------

do {
--- 366,386 ----
Client *newc = current;

if (!newc) {
! /*
! Set Focus to a window in the current vdesk
! even if there is no current window. ;-)
! (See ChangeLog 2002-11-24)
! Hacked by Alberto Ferrarini
#ifdef VWM

------CUT-HERE--------------------------------

02 Jun 2003 05:51 colm

Re: Installation with kdm

> Anybody knows how to fire up evilwm from
> kdm?

I had this problem with Mandrake Linux 9 when trying to install Fluxbox - skip along to this website (http://www.bugfactory.org/~gav/fluxbox/october-mail.html) for a description of how to install fluxbox - evil will be exactly the same

23 Feb 2003 13:01 ccat

Using the -evil- Windows Key
After lots of searching I managed to make evilwm use the "windows key" to cycle through windows. I find this extremely useful.

I wrote a document (http://students.ceid.upatras.gr/~sxanth/EV.txt) which describes how you can do this too.

Cheers

27 Jan 2003 13:11 six809

Re: Installation with kdm

> Anybody knows how to fire up evilwm from
> kdm?

Possibly all you have to do is copy your .xinitrc to a file called .xsession and give it execute permission. If that fails I'm not sure what else to try - I've never used KDM personally.

27 Jan 2003 10:13 ccat

Installation with kdm
I agree 100% with the evilwm concept. Minimal, simple, smart (add user-hostile here:) interface.

Unfortunatelly, I haven't being able to use it yet:(

The linux distribution I have, pops up kdm on startup. I found a kdmrc file which, has a list of sessions but adding evilwm there does not work. It seems that the magic process (xclock) is not executed. I get into a grey X server screen where nothing works.

Anybody knows how to fire up evilwm from kdm?

23 Dec 2002 05:31 unionbreak

Re: Almost too simple

> This is true, there is not much to it.
> If you can stand not having
> title bars, and having to spawn
> applications from a command line, then
> you still might get on with this window
> manager, however.

EvilWM is exactly what I've been looking for; It took about 72 hours to find. :\

my objective was to find the following:
*small memory footprint.
*alt-tab through windows by default.
*keyboard friendly(mice == inefficiency)
*the ability to use aterm or Eterm for
transparency.
*small borders by default.

EvilWM ROCKS.

> I'd be
> interested in feedback from any other
> users - if indeed there are any
> ;)

You can add me to the user list. :)

BTW, my interest in a efficient WM was for my main desktop, which uses a 1ghz cpu and 256mb or RAM to give you an idea.

02 Sep 2002 05:19 spamgate

Re: One annoying fact

> submitting a bug over at sourceforge? Of course, if you fix it yourself, great!

Maybe I should go for the bug submitting,
spare time is sadly rare these days.
Thanks for your response.

30 Aug 2002 05:21 six809

Re: One annoying fact

> When switching between workspaces, it seems that the Z-order of the windows are not correctly restored.

For the most part, this is not the case - when switching desktops, applications are simply mapped, not raised (since 0.3.11, looking at the ChangeLog). However, *some* applications will raise themselves when mapped, and evilwm does nothing to detect or stop these. I found this to happen with Sun's "audiotool", for example. Possibly this is something that should get "fixed", but it's fairly low priority - how about submitting a bug over at sourceforge? Of course, if you fix it yourself, great!